Old 01-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Fort Wilderness Logistics

We are gathering information regarding Fort Wilderness at Disney World. We are planning to take grandchildren there in the near future. We have checked out the annual passes. Now we are trying to get a feel for Fort Wilderness We have noticed that there are three different levels of campsites, Full Hookup, Preferred, and Premium. It is unclear on-line what the differences are. Are the upgrades worth the extra money? Also, what are the best areas to be in?

I know that many of the members here are Fort Wilderness experts. Please educate me.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If you are a Retired Vet they have some great deals available on a Military Discount Plan be sure and check them out. PM me if you have any question about it. I don't know if they have any veteran specials at Ft. Wilderness but for park passes they do.

In any case you will have a great trip. We'll be there in a couple of weeks.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I believe the Premium are just a little larger. The first time we went we did not have a full cement pad and I thought we would NEVER get all of the pea size gravel out of the camper. It was in a beautiful location but more in the cypress swamp area and I think because of the location, DEP or who ever regulates that would not allow but a pad for the camper itself. So, if this is important to you, make sure you ask for a FULL CEMENT site. It is really a lovely place to visit and a fun place to go. In the summertime, the pool is EXTREMELY full and you can float around but too many people to swim. There are fireworks and boat show on the lakes, boats you can rent and of course going to Disney is easy - just hop on the boat to go over to the park. Each pod has nice clean restrooms and nice trails. Spotted 5 deer early one morning and 3 later on in the afternoon. Have fun!
Old 01-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Oh also as far as what area to be in, there is a bus that picks up pretty much around the clock I believe. If you are too far from the pool or the marina, just hop on the free bus. Naturally, the deeper in the "pod" you are, the quieter it will be. If your campsite is near the road, there is a lot of traffic and you will hear the bus all day and all night (happened to us on our first stay in the same site that did not have full cement!)
Old 01-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
If I remember correctly the full hook up just that. Not much more. The preferred is a little nicer with some more room and in better places in the park/loops ( it is all nice so this is no big deal) The premium are much larger sites, some have water front, good locations with "space" between you and your neighbors...okay it is only like an extra foot, but they try to stick shrubs in there.

We have been twice and got the premium site and requested a water front in one of a few select loops. We rode our bikes around the first time we went and looked at all the spots and decided which ones we would like. They are not guaranteed, but you can always ask. The few extra $ for the premium, in our minds, was worth the the better views (we have had lake front both times) and location in the loop; you are not at the busy section that everyone passes upon entering or leaving, or in an odd shaped space at the corner.

We are actually headed down the first or second week of Nov. We have reservations for 3-8 Nov, but may push it back a week (1st week is # 14 on weeks to go with fewest people and the 2cnd week is # 4 in list). First week is "Jersey week" since schools are out and everyone from Jersey heads to WDW... My wife is from NJ so, I opt to stay away from the NJ crowds.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Before anyone says anything she just just slapped me in the back of the head for the NJ comment.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
One thing---I used to work at Disney. Guests have a feeling of security when they are there. HELLO? It is still the real world. We took our 5 year old and 9 month old children to Ft. Wilderness. When we were unpacking the truck, (the children were still asleep in the truck from the trip)---someone creeped into the open door of the vehicle and stole all of our camera equipment....with our kids asleep right there!!! And I am telling you, we were never more than 10 feet from the truck! SCARY!!! We called security. They told us some people will target folks who are just checking in because they are tired and have a sense of security because of where they are.

So have fun...but keep your security practices in place!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I cannot share about the best spot but I can tell you that the difference in the "levels" is mainly distance privacy. Think of it as estate lots (premium), plants with less space (preferred) or housing plat style (hook ups). If you don't mind just some space between you and your neighbor rather than some added plants, the less expensive lot is fine. I believe the pad size varies anyway as does the sandy area.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
Our favorite loop is the 300 loop. It allows you to easily bike back and forth to the boat launch which just made it extra fun for our kids. They do have buses but it's easier just to hop on your bike and go. Plus at crowded times, we had buses pass right by the stop because they were full.

There's a path in the back of loop 300 that is wooded and by the river - takes you right to the general store by the boat launch.

Have fun!
Old 01-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
We camped there twice in the last two years. Premium site both times. Our current favorite loop is 400. Close to the boat dock for catching the boat for MK. Also close to bus route terminus which means option of catching 3 busses instead of one. You may want to consider hoop dee doo review. My grand kids love it.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
[QUOTE=karenjude;1408332]Our favorite loop is the 300 loop. It allows you to easily bike back and forth to the boat launch which just made it extra fun for our kids. They do have buses but it's easier just to hop on your bike and go. Plus at crowded times, we had buses pass right by the stop because they were full.
There's a path in the back of loop 300 that is wooded and by the river - takes you right to the general store by the boat launch. "

Yes, we also love this #300 loop, like the side closest to the dock, easy access to the dock and a nice quiet ride on the lake to and from the parks. A real treat on the return when you are tired.

We rode the bus once and only once, never again.

We like to break up the day in the park with a visit for the afternoon to the water parks. Especially since our grand-kids are off in June and it is hot. A real nice relaxing way to spend the afternoon. so we get up early and get to the park that opens early stay till lunch, lunch at camp, pack up some snacks and spend pm at the water park, dinner at camp. Evening at the park that stays open the latest. Makes a rel nice day.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thanks for all the input. We are zeroing in on the 300 and 400 Loops. We are planning our first trip the the Fort in the end of February.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
We stayed a week last month and were in the 1000 loop ( raccoon lane) and loved the location. We were near the bathrooms and the Meadow trading post. We have a 16 so it was nice to be only a few steps from the showers. They may ask where you would like to go if they have spots. Have fun.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Brian you really won't go wrong with any of the sites. Most all of the sites have been widened. No pull-throughs that I know of. We have stayed in the preferred loops many times but I personally think they are over rated. One thing about loops 100,200, and 300...they are original loops built back when rigs were smaller and shorter. The 300 loop is exceptionally tight. And with all the extra cars and golf carts along the road, getting into a spot can be a challenge. Once we had to request another site in another loop. 300 is also next to the dog area. Bath houses in the entire campground are excellent. Fort Wilderness is one of our favorites...but what do you expect where they clean the streets every night...

"Feed the Mouse"

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871