Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Formula One (F-1) Austin, Texas 2012

Trip planning is underway for the June, 2012 F-1 race in Austin, Texas. Can anyone in the Austin area chime in on the location of the track now under construction? On which side of town is it located as I'd like to find a good spot to camp near the track and make reservations now. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Track is southeast of town. Only a few miles from the airport. Not many rv parks in that area. There is a very nice state park that would be close. It's called McKinney Falls I think. Lone Star RV on south interstate 35 would be a good choice too. It has full hook ups and puts you on the right side of town. Crest view RV has a park in Buda that would put you at the toll way and Ih 35 and this too would be a good spot. Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Thanks Charlie. That's just the kind of help I was looking for. We appreciate it very much. Hope you get some rain down that way. Dick
Old 06-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Closest Commercial RV Park

The following is the closest commercial RV Park. I have driven by this park before and it looks very well maintained. In fact, it seems to get many positive reviews on RV Park reviews.

Austin Oak Forest RV Park | Main

Interesting that you ask about the nearest RV Park. We have been considering the purchase of some property very near the Formula-1 Track and developing it into an RV Park. If we were to pursue this venture we want to develop it with lots of palm trees (it already has lots of mesquite trees on the property), pool, cabana, tiki bar ... and give it more of a tropical feel. I'm thinking it could turn into a good investment. But I keep getting cold feet.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
The following is the closest commercial RV Park. I have driven by this park before and it looks very well maintained. In fact, it seems to get many positive reviews on RV Park reviews.

Austin Oak Forest RV Park | Main

Interesting that you ask about the nearest RV Park. We have been considering the purchase of some property very near the Formula-1 Track and developing it into an RV Park. If we were to pursue this venture we want to develop it with lots of palm trees (it already has lots of mesquite trees on the property), pool, cabana, tiki bar ... and give it more of a tropical feel. I'm thinking it could turn into a good investment. But I keep getting cold feet.
I think it would be fantastic! Of course, any property down there is likely much more expensive now than it would have been a year ago, but such is the way of things.

I'd even consider renting out my house to some out-of-town F1 fans, and staying in your RV park during race week.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Bastrop State park is about 30 miles away and would be very low cost to stay. You cannot drive to the track unless you have a parking pass. You will need to park at the Expo center and take a shuttle.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
F1 Elroy Texas

Race is in November 2012...Track will barely be ready by then...you can park rv on the grounds for $15,000....
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from GA/AZ. . . I hope some forum members go to the race and give us all a big report on it. I'm definitely thinking about year 2 (if there IS a year 2) and have it on our tentative travel calendar for 2013. F1 in Indy was fun. Thanks and regards, Craig
Old 09-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Big F-1 weekend planned at this house in Austin, my wifes brother is flying in from PA for the event and we are even considering renting the 345 Airstream Motorhome to some out of town/out of country F-1 fans looking for a cool place to stay. As someone mentioned above, it doesn't really matter where you stay, unless you have a parking permit, you have to take the shuttle and just surrender to the whole experience. Hotel rooms have been booked for some time and are very expensive.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Hmm, Retire at the end of September, nothing in the works for November...love F1, seems like we gotta go...Hope the track is done-
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
little rock , Arkansas
I am thinking about going. It looks like turn 15 is still available. I think I will get tickets next week. So I guess the consensus is to stay with in an hour of the track and then drive to the expo center where a shuttle will take you to the track? I still haven't reserved a place to stay are there any suggestions for an RV park in the area? Has anyone committed to a place to camp?
kos221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kos221 View Post
I am thinking about going. It looks like turn 15 is still available. I think I will get tickets next week. So I guess the consensus is to stay with in an hour of the track and then drive to the expo center where a shuttle will take you to the track? I still haven't reserved a place to stay are there any suggestions for an RV park in the area? Has anyone committed to a place to camp?

I would check this site asap:
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department | State Parks
I did a quick check and most state parks east and south of Austin are already booked for that weekend. Padernales State Park west of Austin still had sites available. Its about an hours drive depending on traffic and time of travel.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #13
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Check out this campground on west side of Austin. About a 40 min drive from the Expo center. Only a couple of years old, 250 sites, easy access and close to grocery, gas, Walmart, Target, Home depot, restaurants and good barbecue.

La Hacienda
5220 Hudson Bend Rd
Austin, TX 78734
(512) 266-8001

Also, Emma Long park is a little closer, it is run by the city of Austin. PITA to drive in and out of but nice camoing right on Lake Austin. Only 20 sites with Electircity and no reservations, 14 day max stay. Cheap!

Emma Long Park
1706 CITY PARK RD
AUSTIN, TX 78730
(512) 346-1831
Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Las Cruces , New Mexico
We're rolling out for Austin on the 12th, arriving at Lone Star RV Resort the next day. Got tickets for Turn 11; shelled out the big bucks for an on-site parking pass till we can actually see how the shuttle situation pans out. Looking forward to having F1 back in the US again (even if it is a Tilke track)! Bring your rain togs for what looks to be a splashy Friday practice...
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Pflugerville , Texas
This is a new RV park, mybe two years old. I's about 20 east of Austin on US290.
Check their web site at Lucky Too Rv Park
Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Looking for follow up from members that took their trailers to the race. I watched it on TV. Beautiful track with an outstanding race. It looked like there was a trailer section along one of the straights. Thought I caught a glimpse of a couple of Airstreams parked in the area.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Las Cruces , New Mexico
Finally getting around to a post-race report…

We didn't camp at Circuit of the Americas (COTA) itself, since we didn't have an extra $15K lying around. We’ll see if prices come down in future years. The sites at the track looked like great fun; mostly party bus DPs (and a RENTED Airstream SkyDeck, if you can imagine!) but some lower-end rented Class Cs, as well. However, other than the track, there’s NOTHING entertainment-wise out there. We stayed the Tuesday before the race till the Monday after at Austin Lone Star RV Resort, just off I-35, west of the airport. Nice place—narrow roads that need some work, but no problem for our 28’ and F150. Very well-run, efficient and friendly management. Ten-minute drive to entertainment and restaurants in downtown Austin. We put our name on the reservation list for next year.

Austin Lone Star was well-placed for us to be able to drive to the track without dealing with the scrum of people in downtown Austin. We drove to the track on local roads south of the city and parked on-site near our bleacher seats at Turn 11E. Great seats for viewing/photographing a lot of the action at the hairpin, but most of the passing/sliding action seemed to be happening at Turns 12 and 19. The track itself is amazing—very well put together, lots more elevation change than it appears on TV. If I were to compare it to an existing F1 circuit, I would say it’s most like Interlagos. You can get lots of exercise walking around at the track; there’s also a tram that runs just outside the circuit.

It’s amazing that it was finished in time to hold the 2012 F1 race at all, though there are still lots of improvements to be made. Long lines at the not-so-plentiful food vendors and circuit apparel tents; no landscaping yet; traffic management was concentrated on the undeveloped local roads around the circuit and not at all in the parking lots, so exiting the circuit—particularly on race day—required a lot of patience. We (and others who drove) anticipated this and brought coolers for a 2-hour post-race tailgate while we waiting for the lots to clear. Shuttle service from downtown Austin and the Travis County Expo Center seemed to be fairly efficient, but we didn’t have any direct experience with that.

The city of Austin and COTA did a great job (I thought) trying to provide an entertainment experience at the track and in the city that would appeal to a large, diverse, international audience. We went to all events at the track and were generally too exhausted to want to go party downtown, but we did go see Junior Brown at the Continental Club in the evening after the race. Weather was great, if a bit unseasonably chilly. However, I’ll take Austin in November over Austin in June ANY day!
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #18
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
CotA has just announced "dry Camping" availability for the 2013 race. Camping will be located in parking lot M near turn 11. See Link Below for more information
http://6bd32fe3d0a84caa1d3b-e077574e...se(7-2-13).pdf
Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #19
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
From CotA:
With more than 100 campsites available ($998 per space), you and your group can experience three days of high-speed action without ever leaving the track! Each campsite purchase includes four general admission tickets for the 2013 F1 event. To reserve a dry camping space, please call 512.301.6600 x1!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Hico , Texas
We are planning on going to the F 1 event in Nov..anyone else planning on boon docking ? We plan on Glamping Texas style all weekend long!

Philip & Luci
Lazy Dude Ranch
Hico Texas
pdvasquez is offline   Reply With Quote