Old 11-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Pflugerville , Texas
This is a new RV park, mybe two years old. I's about 20 east of Austin on US290.
Check their web site at Lucky Too Rv Park

Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Looking for follow up from members that took their trailers to the race. I watched it on TV. Beautiful track with an outstanding race. It looked like there was a trailer section along one of the straights. Thought I caught a glimpse of a couple of Airstreams parked in the area.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Finally getting around to a post-race report…

We didn't camp at Circuit of the Americas (COTA) itself, since we didn't have an extra $15K lying around. We’ll see if prices come down in future years. The sites at the track looked like great fun; mostly party bus DPs (and a RENTED Airstream SkyDeck, if you can imagine!) but some lower-end rented Class Cs, as well. However, other than the track, there’s NOTHING entertainment-wise out there. We stayed the Tuesday before the race till the Monday after at Austin Lone Star RV Resort, just off I-35, west of the airport. Nice place—narrow roads that need some work, but no problem for our 28’ and F150. Very well-run, efficient and friendly management. Ten-minute drive to entertainment and restaurants in downtown Austin. We put our name on the reservation list for next year.

Austin Lone Star was well-placed for us to be able to drive to the track without dealing with the scrum of people in downtown Austin. We drove to the track on local roads south of the city and parked on-site near our bleacher seats at Turn 11E. Great seats for viewing/photographing a lot of the action at the hairpin, but most of the passing/sliding action seemed to be happening at Turns 12 and 19. The track itself is amazing—very well put together, lots more elevation change than it appears on TV. If I were to compare it to an existing F1 circuit, I would say it’s most like Interlagos. You can get lots of exercise walking around at the track; there’s also a tram that runs just outside the circuit.

It’s amazing that it was finished in time to hold the 2012 F1 race at all, though there are still lots of improvements to be made. Long lines at the not-so-plentiful food vendors and circuit apparel tents; no landscaping yet; traffic management was concentrated on the undeveloped local roads around the circuit and not at all in the parking lots, so exiting the circuit—particularly on race day—required a lot of patience. We (and others who drove) anticipated this and brought coolers for a 2-hour post-race tailgate while we waiting for the lots to clear. Shuttle service from downtown Austin and the Travis County Expo Center seemed to be fairly efficient, but we didn’t have any direct experience with that.

The city of Austin and COTA did a great job (I thought) trying to provide an entertainment experience at the track and in the city that would appeal to a large, diverse, international audience. We went to all events at the track and were generally too exhausted to want to go party downtown, but we did go see Junior Brown at the Continental Club in the evening after the race. Weather was great, if a bit unseasonably chilly. However, I’ll take Austin in November over Austin in June ANY day!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
CotA has just announced "dry Camping" availability for the 2013 race. Camping will be located in parking lot M near turn 11. See Link Below for more information
http://6bd32fe3d0a84caa1d3b-e077574e...se(7-2-13).pdf
Old 07-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
From CotA:
With more than 100 campsites available ($998 per space), you and your group can experience three days of high-speed action without ever leaving the track! Each campsite purchase includes four general admission tickets for the 2013 F1 event. To reserve a dry camping space, please call 512.301.6600 x1!
Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Hico , Texas
We are planning on going to the F 1 event in Nov..anyone else planning on boon docking ? We plan on Glamping Texas style all weekend long!

Philip & Luci
Lazy Dude Ranch
Hico Texas
pdvasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Not boondocking this year...

...although we're eager to see exactly what you get for $250/night in Lot M at the track. We'll be at Austin Lone Star again this year--even though they've hiked their rates to $100/night for the race weekend itself. Heading out a week ahead of time so we can enjoy Austin before the crowds roll in!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Woking Corner 2A

I will be working as a flagger at the exit of Corner 2. Should have a great view of exit from turn one and entry to the esses.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Vintage racers at CotA Oct 10-12

The SVRA will be at CotA Oct 10 -12 2014. About 400 entries, featured race group will be 1970's Trans AM with 30 cars.

Free parking and kids under 12 are free, 3 day admission is $59

Free Fan walk in pits

Saturday Concert: Asleep at the wheel - free to ticketholders

Fireworks Saturday night from behind turn 1

No Info on Camping. McKinny falls SP is nearby.