Old 08-15-2015, 01:55 AM   #1
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
forest fire destroys campground

Wildfires ripped through Rock Creek, B.C. so quickly that campers had no time to collect their things — they just ran | National Post

Forest fires are burning throughout BC, Washington state, and northern Idaho, as well as the more publicized ones in California. We could see one in the northern Idaho pandhandle from our valley-- until the smoke and haze blocked the view. A new one just popped up this evening on a mountain slope across the Creston valley. It is shocking how quickly it's been spreading-- from just one hot spot to a chain of fire in just a couple of hours. Right now, the whole mountain top appears to be burning. At night, the flame and lit-up smoke is pretty dramatic.

Thankfully we feel safe, on the other side of the valley. But with conditions so dry and windy, it wouldn't take much.....

Thankfully nobody was killed or injured in the Kettle River campground fire, but some people lost their RVs.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Hope you get some rain soon. That's a grim picture you've painted. I can't imagine having to leave my trailer and belongings behind - it would be a terrifying situation. Please stay safe.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Vancouver , Washington
Don't know if it's possible for you, but you might consider keeping your AS connected to your tow vehicle in case you need to make a quick exit. Leave anything outside your trailer behind (camp chairs, etc.) and hit the road quickly if needed.

We camp frequently at the beach in Northern CA. We have an escape plan in case of a tsunami, but it is basically leave everything behind and run for high ground. With a fire, you have a little more warning of the potential for mandatory evacuation. Better to be prepared.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
we were planning a trip into SE BC in early September but given the fire situation, i am going to change our plans and stay on this side of the border. we have been in the vicinity of forest fires in past years and we really do not relish the thought of having to deal with all of that smoke again. given the tinder dry conditions all over the PNW, we may end up changing these new plans as well. only time and the weather will tell. but after the storm of the last few days, there were well over 200 lightning strikes in the N cascades so i would expect to hear of additional fires starting up. all in all, we are in for it with Godzilla el'Nino taking shape. dry and warm in the PNW is not a good combo for winter time.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds awful.

I think at the very least have a bug out bag by the door.

Stay safe, you two.

Maggie
Old 08-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Duvall , Washington
Evacuations

Thanks for the update ! I agree, a bug-out bag is the key.
We are heading to Winthrop, Okanogan Wa, next week. May have
to do a change of plan. Stay safe everyone !
Old 08-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Watching the news this morning it looks like Waterton Lakes area is now got fires also. This of course will also impact the USA side of the park system also. We are planning to be in southern BC in a few weeks. I sure hope they get a little rain soon.....
Old 08-16-2015, 01:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Chelan in WA now has 6 fires burning with loss of buildings. Not looking good.

George
Old 08-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Los Angeles , California
in Green Valley lake this summer many trailers were hooked up to TVs even though the Lake fire was over 20 miles and a few ridges away - but I got the hint
Old 08-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Thank you!

I think the moral of the story is just to check for local fire conditions prior to traveling in the western states. They can change quickly, either during or after a forest fire. Our local customs station was closed Friday night to southbound traffic due to a bigger fire in the northern tip of the Idaho panhandle; and our main highway west out of town was temporarily closed, which funneled most of this traffic onto the Kootenay Lake ferry-- so of course, there were huge delays there. Some people south of town were put on an evacuation alert that was later lifted.

I think these restrictions are serious but usually short-lived.

We're planning a Yellowstone-Glacier-Waterton Lakes trip at the end of August-early September, so we'll keep our eyes out for fire conditions-- thanks for the tip. The St. Mary's CG in Glacier NP was evacuated earlier this summer for a while.

Thankfully we had about an hour of rain last night.

Anyway, we'd encourage everyone to visit BC-- it's a beautiful province. It's just that, well, some of it is on fire right now.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:19 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Anyway, we'd encourage everyone to visit BC-- it's a beautiful province. It's just that, well, some of it is on fire right now.

Len & Jeanne
I'll leave Wednesday for Alaska, via Spokane and entering your fine country at Osoyoos, then will head up via Kelowna, Kamlops, Prince George, and the Cassia Hwy. Any fire updates for this route? Thank you. jon
Old 08-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
For up to date info in BC, go here:
Current Wildfire Situation - BC Wildfire Service - Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations - Province of British Columbia
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #13
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
B00merang, you might try this site: Current Wildfire Situation - BC Wildfire Service - Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations - Province of British Columbia
but it's probably more reliable to google the towns you will be visiting and see what they say, a day or two in advance. There are some fires burning in the Okanagon: the town of Oliver seems hard-hit. News - B.C. wildfire destroys 29 homes, hundreds evacuated - The Weather Network

This site should indicate any highway closures: BC Highway Road Closures

However, a town or road in danger one day can be out of danger a few days or even hours later.

Even more up to date and informative is the locals' grapevine. Asking at a gas station or restaurant will probably keep you most up to date as you travel.

Our local fire is still smoldering along, but fortunately we had some rain last night.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I just downloaded a good iPhone app Wildland Fire Map. Works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums