Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-17-2019, 07:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Pearl , Alaska
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 23
Ford F-150 News

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1625.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	331889
__________________

Deltaboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
Stay Calm and Stream On
 
HHPJ's Avatar
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 199
The irony is, how is the electricity generated to power the vehicle? In the US, mostly from coal. Only 17% is from renewable sources, including Nuclear power, which waste byproduct is a big problem now.

“Light Duty” seems to be the practical application, and towing an RV does not fall under this category.
__________________

__________________
Stay Calm and Stream On!
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
kscherzi's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,222
Images: 24
According to the US government Nationwide electricity generation breakdown for 2017 is as follows.

32% Natural Gas
30% Coal
20% Nuclear
7%. Hydropower
6%. Wind
1%. Solar
4% Other (biomass, oil, geothermal, etc)

Still, a lot of electricity is generated by petroleum, and probably will for a long time. Nonetheless, I think the argument I heard in favor of electric vehicles is that large power plants use petroleum more efficiently than individual vehicles.
kscherzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPJ View Post
The irony is, how is the electricity generated to power the vehicle? In the US, mostly from coal. Only 17% is from renewable sources, including Nuclear power, which waste byproduct is a big problem now.

ďLight DutyĒ seems to be the practical application, and towing an RV does not fall under this category.
Itís not irony. Most people donít worry about where electricity comes from or theyíd be shutting off their 75 inch TVs and turning their air conditioning up to 80 degrees. Bottom line is cost per mile. Everything pollutes in one way or other. The electric pickup would make a nice commuter truck.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
According to the US government Nationwide electricity generation breakdown for 2017 is as follows.

32% Natural Gas
30% Coal
20% Nuclear
7%. Hydropower
6%. Wind
1%. Solar
4% Other (biomass, oil, geothermal, etc)

Still, a lot of electricity is generated by petroleum, and probably will for a long time. Nonetheless, I think the argument I heard in favor of electric vehicles is that large power plants use petroleum more efficiently than individual vehicles.
Agree that large power plants are more fuel efficient, but the more significant benefit IMO is fuel flexibility. A gas or diesel vehicle runs on that one fuel, and it is generally expensive to change. Power plants can be changed as to fuel type more easily, and you are changing one installation vs a large installed base. Look at the number of coal plants closing, that trend will only increase. Using electricity for vehicles makes good sense if we consider that changes are coming, and also from an energy security standpoint.

For those of us where our provincial energy utility generation is around 95% renewables, it is a slam dunk.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Itís not irony. Most people donít worry about where electricity comes from or theyíd be shutting off their 75 inch TVs and turning their air conditioning up to 80 degrees. Bottom line is cost per mile. Everything pollutes in one way or other. The electric pickup would make a nice commuter truck.
We have the AC down to a few months per year, and generally only at night.

Everything does not pollute equally by any stretch of the imagination.

Agree that a first generation electric F150 may not start out as an appropriate tow vehicle for a heavier trailer, but I donít understand the commuter vehicle comment. If one was to buy a dedicated commuter vehicle why would it look like a pickup truck? Fashion? Ego? If one is making a cost benefit evaluation and investing in a vehicle that may be used as an SOV for much of its life, why not go with something much smaller and lighter?
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,020
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
*LOTS* of Americans driving half-tons have no functional need for a pickup. When I bought my previous pickup, the sales guy was talking about how much he loved his F250 Powerstroke and I asked him what he tows with it... he looked at me like I'd just sprouted a 2nd head that had 6 eyes. Turns out he just commutes in traffic from his apartment to the dealership, has no boat or RV or any other trailer or any big cargo needs.

And re: turning off the 75" television: Most big modern LED-backlit LCD televisions use a bit less power than the 25" CRTs that were common not so long ago. Big plasma sets waste some power but aren't very common anymore (and haven't been manufactured for years.)
__________________
ó David

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,599
There isnít much hard news out yet, but it is good to see Ford planning full electrics and not just battery hybrid versions. They were going to be well wide of the mark and lose the market with only a hybrid.

The Detroit news says the full electric development covers the F150 and Super Duty. Also, Fordís recent announcement of shared development efforts with VW covers both medium pickup, and commercial vehicles, which are likely to be Transit and/or Transit Connect EVs.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 414
As I understand it (big caveat there), an electrical-power system, such as the one my city operates, runs all night to power the grid, even though little power is needed in the dark of night. Even running at reduced capacity, compared to during the daytime, a lot of power is simply wasted to keep juice in the lines.

If you were to charge your e-F150 at night, as many might do, you could capture electricity that was previously being generated but not put to use.

A freebie, in the environmental sense.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
wulfraat's Avatar
 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,488
Images: 1
Ford F-150 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post

As I understand it (big caveat there), an electrical-power system, such as the one my city operates, runs all night to power the grid, even though little power is needed in the dark of night. Even running at reduced capacity, compared to during the daytime, a lot of power is simply wasted to keep juice in the lines.

If you were to charge your e-F150 at night, as many might do, you could capture electricity that was previously being generated but not put to use.

A freebie, in the environmental sense.
Yup! Thatís what we do with our electric car! (Overnight charging to capture wasted energy on the grid at a lower kWh rate).

Energy production becomes more efficient at scale.

100% EV vehicles yield on average between 2X and 6X less pollution per mile driven leveraging US mixed (coal, petroleum, wind, etc) electric energy production vs stand alone ICE gasoline vehicles when you convert to MPG equivalent for emissions comparison purposes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/energyi...re-in-america/

Electric pickup will make for an awesome tow vehicle. Loads of HP and loads of torque.

You can charge a large lithium pack (100kWh+ ) in an electric vehicle overnight in the campground using the 50A 240v NEMA outlet.

Change is coming.
wulfraat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #11
Master of Universe
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,151
Electric motors have lots of torque and don't need a transmission. They can tow a lot. Coal is a poor investment because it is on the way out. Power companies wouldn't be closing coal plants if they hadn't figured out the future is renewables and natural gas is only a transition fuel. Renewable power is now competitive and will only become more so. Range is the issue and battery improvements have been coming for years and hopefully will get lower weights. Lack of transmission (and aren't electric motors lighter than gas or diesel engines?) helps with the battery weight. I expect by 2030 there will be few or no coal powered plants and natural gas will start becoming less common.

Ford is smart to research this. Some companies are looking at fuel cells and that may happen faster than we think. If we don't switch fast, south Florida may have electric boats, no trucks and cars.
__________________
Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
We have the AC down to a few months per year, and generally only at night.

Everything does not pollute equally by any stretch of the imagination.

Agree that a first generation electric F150 may not start out as an appropriate tow vehicle for a heavier trailer, but I donít understand the commuter vehicle comment. If one was to buy a dedicated commuter vehicle why would it look like a pickup truck? Fashion? Ego? If one is making a cost benefit evaluation and investing in a vehicle that may be used as an SOV for much of its life, why not go with something much smaller and lighter?
I drive a pickup because I like them. I donít like tinny front wheel drive cars, never have. I like the performance, safety and mass in case of an accident. Iím not alone. Most pickups at work never tow at all and many never carry a passenger.

I drive my Ram Cummins only for towing. I have a four wheel drive SUV for commuting because I wonít drive my pickup in the salt, or on dirt, or in the winter. You wonít see me in an econobox but a good sized EV would be perfect for my commute.

Everything pollutes, itís a fact of life. If people were worried mass transit would be a thing (it isnít). My AC runs April to October, at 68 degrees.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
As I understand it (big caveat there), an electrical-power system, such as the one my city operates, runs all night to power the grid, even though little power is needed in the dark of night. Even running at reduced capacity, compared to during the daytime, a lot of power is simply wasted to keep juice in the lines.

If you were to charge your e-F150 at night, as many might do, you could capture electricity that was previously being generated but not put to use.

A freebie, in the environmental sense.
And electric power generation creates jobs here. Iíd rather see domestic energy production (oil, gas, and electric) make tons of money than stick my head in the sand.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
 
nryn's Avatar

 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago area , Illinois
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Everything pollutes, it’s a fact of life. If people were worried mass transit would be a thing (it isn’t)

Mass transit is very much a thing, though in this country it depends I suppose on where you live. It is very much a thing in US cities and their surrounding areas and in many other countries it’s even more a thing. I pretty much only drive my car for long distances or cargo; everything I need to do locally can be done by walking, biking, or mass transit. I’m particularly lucky that way, but it is the case that ridership on regional trains in my area has been increasing, not decreasing, year over year. And candidly, some “developing” countries’ mass transit systems make the US seem third-world in comparison.

BTW, obviously this has nothing to do with whether or not you like driving your pickup. It’s just hard, for me anyway, to read a statement like mass transit is not a thing without scratching my head.
__________________

nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Driveway - Good News Bad News PharmGeek Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers 193 10-12-2018 07:52 PM
After 150 years, Rocky Mtn News is done. 1956Safari Off Topic Forum 27 03-31-2009 07:49 AM
Ford F-150 4x4 Crew Cab TV? Buzzy4 Tow Vehicles 4 07-17-2005 08:54 PM
Ford F-150 As a Tow Vehicle Cstar Tow Vehicles 16 05-02-2004 08:24 AM
Ford E 150 brunoffrance Tow Vehicles 23 10-27-2003 06:55 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.