Views:	74
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	331889

Deltaboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
The irony is, how is the electricity generated to power the vehicle? In the US, mostly from coal. Only 17% is from renewable sources, including Nuclear power, which waste byproduct is a big problem now.

“Light Duty” seems to be the practical application, and towing an RV does not fall under this category.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
According to the US government Nationwide electricity generation breakdown for 2017 is as follows.

32% Natural Gas
30% Coal
20% Nuclear
7%. Hydropower
6%. Wind
1%. Solar
4% Other (biomass, oil, geothermal, etc)

Still, a lot of electricity is generated by petroleum, and probably will for a long time. Nonetheless, I think the argument I heard in favor of electric vehicles is that large power plants use petroleum more efficiently than individual vehicles.
kscherzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPJ View Post
The irony is, how is the electricity generated to power the vehicle? In the US, mostly from coal. Only 17% is from renewable sources, including Nuclear power, which waste byproduct is a big problem now.

ďLight DutyĒ seems to be the practical application, and towing an RV does not fall under this category.
Itís not irony. Most people donít worry about where electricity comes from or theyíd be shutting off their 75 inch TVs and turning their air conditioning up to 80 degrees. Bottom line is cost per mile. Everything pollutes in one way or other. The electric pickup would make a nice commuter truck.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
According to the US government Nationwide electricity generation breakdown for 2017 is as follows.

32% Natural Gas
30% Coal
20% Nuclear
7%. Hydropower
6%. Wind
1%. Solar
4% Other (biomass, oil, geothermal, etc)

Still, a lot of electricity is generated by petroleum, and probably will for a long time. Nonetheless, I think the argument I heard in favor of electric vehicles is that large power plants use petroleum more efficiently than individual vehicles.
Agree that large power plants are more fuel efficient, but the more significant benefit IMO is fuel flexibility. A gas or diesel vehicle runs on that one fuel, and it is generally expensive to change. Power plants can be changed as to fuel type more easily, and you are changing one installation vs a large installed base. Look at the number of coal plants closing, that trend will only increase. Using electricity for vehicles makes good sense if we consider that changes are coming, and also from an energy security standpoint.

For those of us where our provincial energy utility generation is around 95% renewables, it is a slam dunk.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Itís not irony. Most people donít worry about where electricity comes from or theyíd be shutting off their 75 inch TVs and turning their air conditioning up to 80 degrees. Bottom line is cost per mile. Everything pollutes in one way or other. The electric pickup would make a nice commuter truck.
We have the AC down to a few months per year, and generally only at night.

Everything does not pollute equally by any stretch of the imagination.

Agree that a first generation electric F150 may not start out as an appropriate tow vehicle for a heavier trailer, but I donít understand the commuter vehicle comment. If one was to buy a dedicated commuter vehicle why would it look like a pickup truck? Fashion? Ego? If one is making a cost benefit evaluation and investing in a vehicle that may be used as an SOV for much of its life, why not go with something much smaller and lighter?
Old 01-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
*LOTS* of Americans driving half-tons have no functional need for a pickup. When I bought my previous pickup, the sales guy was talking about how much he loved his F250 Powerstroke and I asked him what he tows with it... he looked at me like I'd just sprouted a 2nd head that had 6 eyes. Turns out he just commutes in traffic from his apartment to the dealership, has no boat or RV or any other trailer or any big cargo needs.

And re: turning off the 75" television: Most big modern LED-backlit LCD televisions use a bit less power than the 25" CRTs that were common not so long ago. Big plasma sets waste some power but aren't very common anymore (and haven't been manufactured for years.)

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
There isnít much hard news out yet, but it is good to see Ford planning full electrics and not just battery hybrid versions. They were going to be well wide of the mark and lose the market with only a hybrid.

The Detroit news says the full electric development covers the F150 and Super Duty. Also, Fordís recent announcement of shared development efforts with VW covers both medium pickup, and commercial vehicles, which are likely to be Transit and/or Transit Connect EVs.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
As I understand it (big caveat there), an electrical-power system, such as the one my city operates, runs all night to power the grid, even though little power is needed in the dark of night. Even running at reduced capacity, compared to during the daytime, a lot of power is simply wasted to keep juice in the lines.

If you were to charge your e-F150 at night, as many might do, you could capture electricity that was previously being generated but not put to use.

A freebie, in the environmental sense.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Ford F-150 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post

As I understand it (big caveat there), an electrical-power system, such as the one my city operates, runs all night to power the grid, even though little power is needed in the dark of night. Even running at reduced capacity, compared to during the daytime, a lot of power is simply wasted to keep juice in the lines.

If you were to charge your e-F150 at night, as many might do, you could capture electricity that was previously being generated but not put to use.

Yup! Thatís what we do with our electric car! (Overnight charging to capture wasted energy on the grid at a lower kWh rate).

Energy production becomes more efficient at scale.

100% EV vehicles yield on average between 2X and 6X less pollution per mile driven leveraging US mixed (coal, petroleum, wind, etc) electric energy production vs stand alone ICE gasoline vehicles when you convert to MPG equivalent for emissions comparison purposes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/energyi...re-in-america/

Electric pickup will make for an awesome tow vehicle. Loads of HP and loads of torque.

You can charge a large lithium pack (100kWh+ ) in an electric vehicle overnight in the campground using the 50A 240v NEMA outlet.

Change is coming.
wulfraat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Electric motors have lots of torque and don't need a transmission. They can tow a lot. Coal is a poor investment because it is on the way out. Power companies wouldn't be closing coal plants if they hadn't figured out the future is renewables and natural gas is only a transition fuel. Renewable power is now competitive and will only become more so. Range is the issue and battery improvements have been coming for years and hopefully will get lower weights. Lack of transmission (and aren't electric motors lighter than gas or diesel engines?) helps with the battery weight. I expect by 2030 there will be few or no coal powered plants and natural gas will start becoming less common.

Ford is smart to research this. Some companies are looking at fuel cells and that may happen faster than we think. If we don't switch fast, south Florida may have electric boats, no trucks and cars.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
We have the AC down to a few months per year, and generally only at night.

Everything does not pollute equally by any stretch of the imagination.

Agree that a first generation electric F150 may not start out as an appropriate tow vehicle for a heavier trailer, but I donít understand the commuter vehicle comment. If one was to buy a dedicated commuter vehicle why would it look like a pickup truck? Fashion? Ego? If one is making a cost benefit evaluation and investing in a vehicle that may be used as an SOV for much of its life, why not go with something much smaller and lighter?
I drive a pickup because I like them. I donít like tinny front wheel drive cars, never have. I like the performance, safety and mass in case of an accident. Iím not alone. Most pickups at work never tow at all and many never carry a passenger.

I drive my Ram Cummins only for towing. I have a four wheel drive SUV for commuting because I wonít drive my pickup in the salt, or on dirt, or in the winter. You wonít see me in an econobox but a good sized EV would be perfect for my commute.

Everything pollutes, itís a fact of life. If people were worried mass transit would be a thing (it isnít). My AC runs April to October, at 68 degrees.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post

And electric power generation creates jobs here. Iíd rather see domestic energy production (oil, gas, and electric) make tons of money than stick my head in the sand.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago area , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Everything pollutes, it’s a fact of life. If people were worried mass transit would be a thing (it isn’t)

Mass transit is very much a thing, though in this country it depends I suppose on where you live. It is very much a thing in US cities and their surrounding areas and in many other countries it’s even more a thing. I pretty much only drive my car for long distances or cargo; everything I need to do locally can be done by walking, biking, or mass transit. I’m particularly lucky that way, but it is the case that ridership on regional trains in my area has been increasing, not decreasing, year over year. And candidly, some “developing” countries’ mass transit systems make the US seem third-world in comparison.

BTW, obviously this has nothing to do with whether or not you like driving your pickup. It’s just hard, for me anyway, to read a statement like mass transit is not a thing without scratching my head.

nryn is offline   Reply With Quote