Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Food when entering Vanvouver Island, Canada

I've been trying to reach Canadian Customs, but you know the story.....

This weekend I will be taking my trailer onto Vancouver Island via the Port Angeles <==> Victoria ferry. Canadian customs regs say we can bring in a 'small amount of food'. I wondered if any US folks have discovered anything a bit more definitive than 'small'. I have a 25' trailer. The referigerator has a small freezer. Can we go in with full referigerator and freezer? We'll be on the island for two weeks.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Neil, we entered Canada three times on our Alaska trip and never had a problem with food. The Canadian customs people were generally courteous and friendly.

However, coming back to the US can be a problem. Some of the guards are distinctly unfriendly. They are not taught words like "hello" or "how are you?" Fruit and meat can be a problem. They want to see something on the fruit that indicates where it came from such as the stickers on fruit. They are especially worried about citrus. In 2 weeks you'll be buying stuff in Canada and make sure those things run out just before you re-enter the US or they may steal it (they call it "confiscate").

You may notice Canadian markets often have much better looking fruit and veggies than US ones do, and I did not see any Canadians lying dead in the street with half eaten fruit in their hands.

For all the US fruit police cared, we could have smuggled in drugs, immigrants and bought thousands of dollars of Canadian goods without paying duties. Your results may vary.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Just declare what you have at the border and they'll tell you what can be brought into the country and what needs to be left behind. This is the season for a bounty of fresh produce and salmon, so leave room in your fridge for the food you can buy while visiting the Island. Oh, and leave the firearms at home.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote