Old 07-30-2016, 08:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Here is another one of those "I am scratching my head" posts. I have a 2006 25 FB with the bathroom mirror that you describe. Mine came with, and still has, a metal piano lid support type of latch. I have never had trouble with it not staying up and I haven't had to use my head to keep it open.

The gas shocks do look like a sexy alternative and I will probably look into something similar for the little door above the fridge. I see where the complaints come from late model owners. Did they put in a "new and improved" version of this latch?

My wife has never liked the mirror because she has to always look up to use it. Of course when we looked inside the new Classic with that full wall mirror, she said this is what she wants.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hi Aftermath, the new units with that mirror have nothing at all to hold the mirror in the up position - except your hand or head. Best, Joe

Old 07-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2014 23' Flying Cloud
2013 19' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Thank you amaier7771! Purchased a set from Amazon- they're going into the trailer next week. Love the Forums- have a problem, just wait long enough and there will be a thread about it.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Hi Aftermath, the new units with that mirror have nothing at all to hold the mirror in the up position - except your hand or head. Best, Joe
Wow, I find that quite unbelievable. I wouldn't be happy either. I guess $80K doesn't get you what it used to.

Thanks for the information.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
That I can attest to with my recent non upgrade in an AS trailer. Funny, I had the same complaint with my 19 ft., more than a few forehead bruises and fixture adjustments after a long day. My new 25 ft came with a small vanity swing out mirror. Way better as you can move it according to weather you are blow drying, plucking, or just admiring your attire for an awesome night in your Airstream. May be worth taking a look at on video and installing on the side if you can avoid having to get in the cabinet so much for stuff. Sometimes retail solutions are better, try "googling bathroom storage in an rv."
Old 07-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
The Flight of the Phoenix

All of this time I had thought that the lousy closure on the medicine cabinet door was due to the fire!
Old 07-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Just completed the project yesterday with two gas shocks. One for the medicine cabinet and the other was for the door above the fridge on our '16 25' FB. The installation process was very easy. Directions are a bit weird, I suppose due to translation from Chinese to English and dimensions were in millimeters, but overall it was flawless.

My initial concern was that the medicine cabinet door would be to heavy and need two shocks, but one holds the door up nicely. The door over the fridge is a bit stiff and i would recommend using the next size down from the same company.

Amazon sells them in pairs, so if you want to hold up the medicine cabinet door and settle for the stiffness over the fridge, these are the ones to order.

Apexstone 100N/22.5lb Gas Struts/Gas Springs/Gas Strut Lift Support/Gas Shocks Lift Lid,Set of 4

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-31-2016, 09:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Nice work!