Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Fly Fishing

Any fly fishing anglers here? Later this month we are off for Banff and Jasper NP in Alberta.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
You'll have some great fly fishing up there. We fished throughout the Yellowhead Caravan. Canada has some amazing rivers. Go for the steelhead. You'll be into your backing before you know you have a fish on the line.
fraubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Hey Big C

nice to see someone from Vernon.

DW is from Wichita Falls and we spent about 19 years there while the kids were growing up.

With reference to fly fishing, if you ever get over to Bull Shoals Arkansas, the state park there on the White River is a very nice park and you can camp right on the river, walk down and drop in a fly almost from your campsite.

Have a great trip.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Tying flies now for the trip. There is very little information on hatch charts for the Athabasca or Bow Rivers and tributaries. Finally found a good one for trout, nothing yet for Steelhead. Yellowhead is northeast of Jasper, are there good parks there? My wife and I went to Banff back in 84 with a 2 person tent and lots of naivety. This time all these years later we are somewhat more prepared.
WBCCI #8578
Old 08-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Dana, My "home water" for fly fishing is over at Broken Bow in Oklahoma. Member and supporter of the Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation. It's a tailwater below the dam. We have reproduction of rainbows and browns there and have for several years. This fall we are planting more trees and undergrowth and then placement of vibert boxes in late November. I'll have to see the travel distance from BB White River is. may have to go... Mountain Fork is 5.5 hrs from here and we go often throughout the year. Several member of the board are from the DFW area. It is a great fly fishing river, clear water that runs (at this time of year) 58%.
WBCCI #8578
Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Am a native New Englander so I am used to cold river water.... was really impressed with the temperature of the White River..... even with the temps in the high 90s... State Park is about a half mile downstream from the Bull Shoals Dam so when there is power generation there is plenty of nice cold bottom water coming down the river. We saw everything from pro guided dinghy fishing, to wading fly fisherman to folks spin casting from the rip-rapped banks.

On our last day there, two guys pulled in to campsite next to ours and i counted 24 fishing rods between the two of them.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
How is the camping at Broken Bow? we have been hesitant to try Oklahoma because of the inability to reserve campsites... i don't want to drive 4-5 hours and not have a place to camp.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Beavers Bend State Park is where we go. Just took our 75 Sovereign on the maiden voyage a week ago. Did not make reservations, just went. There are 3 non reserve and 2 reserve for rv's. We got there about 4 pm on Wednesday and got a great spot in the non reserve. Beavers Bend SP is one of those SP's that is an unknown jewel. Mostly visited by locals who come in on a Friday to stay the weekend. Best time to go is on a Tuesday or Wed. or a Monday since most leave Sunday by noon. Before we bought or 75 we had tent camped there several times. There are some that have sewer along with electric and water. Where we were at Cherokee Camp just when you drive in the sites are more spread apart. At Fern, the sites are closer together. Wanted to be at Fern since it is closer to the Fly Fishing only Zone, but were pleasantly surprised with our site. It was just a short 1 mile drive to fish. All sites are heavily wooded and shady. The reserve sites are on the river but not as shady. We spent 4 days there testing our 75 and being conservative with gray and black water usage we did not have to make a dump run, which is a 1/4 mile away. There are shower/toilet facilities within easy walkin distance in every camp site. The reserve sites require a 14 day reserve policy and are smaller than the non reserve. Great trout fishing. Nymphs in the morning and dries progressing into the afternoon hatch. Catch and release below 20 inches. This was the first time we had been there during the busy summer months in our new Airstream so we did not know what to expect. After Labor Day, from prior experience it is mostly 1/5th full of capacity. The lake is just a short drive up the dam. If you kayak or canoe there is a great place to walk down and find anyone of numerous quiet deserted coves with deep clear water. Great bass fishing, swimming in clear cool water. Broken Bow lake is one of the few lakes that does not allow any permanent docks or structures on the water so it stays clear. For more information you could check out Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation on FB. Somewhat active, but folks who go there often to fly fish kinda keep it quiet since it is a gem and supported by members of the foundation. From Rowlett it should be about 3.5 to 4 hours from you. There are no camping areas near the red zone or the spillway, but it is just a short distance from the camping areas. Another source for information is the Orvis Guide for the LMFR, Rob Woodruff. On FB would be Woodruff Guide Service.
WBCCI #8578
Old 08-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
Hi. There are no steelhead in Alberta.
The bow river does have some of the best rainbow and brown trout fishing in North America. No hatchery pellet head fish here. Fish over 20" are commonplace and 24"-27" are daily occurrences. It is easily waded and or floated. All hooks MUST be barbless and I wouldn't recommend keeping the fish as the best runs are directly downstream of a city of 1000000+ people. I recommend the flyfishin Calgary forums for local knowledge and hatches.

Cheers
Loeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
thank you, from what I have read it is rainbow and brown. CR with barbless. That is what I fish in my waters and tie. It is the art of fly fishing. I fish 90% Tenkara but western style flies. Pisses off the Tenkara purists, but coming from a traditional fly rod culture to Tenkara This is what works for me. Range for Tenkara rods is about 40-50 ft so looking for wading waters. Bringing my "traditional" fly rods, but to date no one fishes Tenkara in Canada and I want to be the first. My wife always askes me if I brought anything back, but I always say in reply that they will not be there next time... I will check out your recommendations on the Calgary forums. I found a good one at Golden Stone Fly Fishing for the Bow. Have been tying from their examples. Thank you so much!!! Staying at Whistlers just outside of Jasper for 9 days. Do you have any other recommendations?
WBCCI #8578
Old 08-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I don't fish but Sam is a certified instructor and guide. I'm sure she'd chime in, but she's guiding today.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #12
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I'm a part time fly fisherman. Mostly out west and mostly late summer when you can tie on a hopper of some kind. I've fished the White river down in Ark three time though and you can sure catch a bunch of fish down there. Just not dry flies (at least from my experiences.)
I'm leaving next week for a trip around Lake Superior. I wasn't even thinking about taking a fly rod. I always accociate trout fishing with the mountains.
This thread has me thinking though.. Is there any trout fishing up around Thunder Bay?

Jeff
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I carry a fly rod and fish when I can. I actually did not fish in Jasper and Banf for the couple of trips we have made there. Did not see anyone fishing. Cold water, loaded with glacial silt, and windy and rain. Saw some fishing on the big lake.

I did fish in the Bow. Not many access points. Best fished from a boat. Found one boating access point that I could wade. Caught several small fish and lost a big bow. Fished for an hour or so in downtown Calgary, but not a good stretch of fly fishing water.
Elk river in BC was wonderful, but below Fernie where I fished it depends upon finding fish that apparantly move quite a bit from day to day. Lots of good water and if you do find them it is awsome.

Lots of great places to fish between TX and Alberta. Not sure how you will go. Should be the right time of year with the runoff finished and not snowing yet.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Big C

thanks for the detailed info on Beavers Bend..... i guess i got the first come first served piece mixed with the no reservations for tent campers....

i guess we will have to give it a try in the fall.

Dana
Old 08-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
We are new owners without experience. Planning to head up to the White River in Arkansas in October. I lived in the Ozarks in the 80s and canoed and fished all the trout mileage of the White. I've seen websites and other info on campgrounds, but would appreciate any words on recent experience in the area.

Will B.
2014 Flying Cloud 25FB "Blue Skies"
2013 Ford F150
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I'm reading this thread with interest. I learned the very basics of fly fishing in the UK, but haven't done it for 15 years. I was talking to a friend recently about getting back into it - from what I am reading, there are some great rivers here in Ontario.

And smoked trout, what a bonus.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Not sure of the specific area, but I usually fish over in southeastern Oklahoma at the Lower Mountain Fork River. This time of year terrestrials during the day, mornings PMD's from 22-18, evenings 28-20 usually work best Caddis from 18-22 tan color. Check with the local fly shop. Buy a few extras and you'll likely get some good advice. Tying for my next trip over to LMFR in October.
WBCCI #8578
Old 08-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Caddis pattern
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adult tan caddis.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	193443  
WBCCI #8578
Old 08-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Rosebud , Texas
For person inquiring on White River, last year wife and I stayed at Denton Ferry campground in Cotter. Had two guided trips with Chad Johnson from Dally fly shop in Cotter. Wife and I were beginners caught 100 plus fish primarily on nymphs. Had grret time, Chad is one fishy dude.
coopstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Part time fly fisherman here but I love it once I get out on the stream. We're headed over to The Battenkill later this week from our current campsite on the Maine coastline. I fished the SOHO in Tennessee last month and enjoyed it so will return next month. Good luck all and rip a lip!