Old 08-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
We are new owners without experience. Planning to head up to the White River in Arkansas in October. I lived in the Ozarks in the 80s and canoed and fished all the trout mileage of the White. I've seen websites and other info on campgrounds, but would appreciate any words on recent experience in the area.

Will B.
2014 Flying Cloud 25FB "Blue Skies"
2013 Ford F150

Old 08-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I'm reading this thread with interest. I learned the very basics of fly fishing in the UK, but haven't done it for 15 years. I was talking to a friend recently about getting back into it - from what I am reading, there are some great rivers here in Ontario.

And smoked trout, what a bonus.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Not sure of the specific area, but I usually fish over in southeastern Oklahoma at the Lower Mountain Fork River. This time of year terrestrials during the day, mornings PMD's from 22-18, evenings 28-20 usually work best Caddis from 18-22 tan color. Check with the local fly shop. Buy a few extras and you'll likely get some good advice. Tying for my next trip over to LMFR in October.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #18
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Caddis pattern
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adult tan caddis.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	193443  
WBCCI #8578
Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Rosebud , Texas
For person inquiring on White River, last year wife and I stayed at Denton Ferry campground in Cotter. Had two guided trips with Chad Johnson from Dally fly shop in Cotter. Wife and I were beginners caught 100 plus fish primarily on nymphs. Had grret time, Chad is one fishy dude.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Part time fly fisherman here but I love it once I get out on the stream. We're headed over to The Battenkill later this week from our current campsite on the Maine coastline. I fished the SOHO in Tennessee last month and enjoyed it so will return next month. Good luck all and rip a lip!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Big C. Hey how was your trip to Banff and Jasper? I'm heading out next Sat from Colorado and fishing the Big Horn out of Thermopolis, WY with a guide, then through to Livingston, MT for the Yellowstone River. Then on our way up to Missoula to visit our daughter. We plan to go up to Waterton Lakes NP (above Glacier NP) then up to Banff and Jasper. I'd be interested in getting any recommendations on places to stay/camp, visit, fly fish and hang out. We tend to like boondocking or minimal campgrounds where there is peace and quiet. Any recommendations are appreciated. Best travels!
Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Bigcgar, was a great trip! We stayed mostly at Lake Louise camp. Since it was after Labor Day had the place mostly to ourselves. Fished the Bow just about 50 ft from our camp. It was hard to believe that I was fishing all by myself on the Bow. Mountain white fish, bull and cutts in the eddys. We tried Banff, but was really crowded then went on up to LL. The best hang-out was LL. Banff and Jasper were not so much. Be sure to check since all the small camps for boondocking are usually closed after Labor Day. Met many nice people all the way thru Canada. The road up to Jasper from LL takes several hourso would prep for an early departure. Could be up to an 8 hr trip. The road can go from straight to up thru a pass quickly. Since you'll be towing be prepared to slow down going up the passes since there will be cars in front of you just brake for scenery, especially just before the Icefields pass. There were many bikers on the road also. In all the places we camped, I'd have to say that LL was the best. Good fishing every where. Just be sure to research flies, since there are/were no fly shops in the park areas. You could stop in Calgary first, but could be suspect... Good travels!!!
WBCCI #8578
Old 08-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Big C, thanks for the info. I'll check out the website to gain additional information. We'll be there after Labor Day so i'll need to make sure we can get into smaller CG's.
Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
Bigcgar.

I live in Calgary and you are coming to the homewaters! If you are coming up from Waterton I would recommend driving up the hwy22 to Longview and if the road is open drive hwy 40 through Kananaskis Country and connect with the transcanada (hwy1) east of Canmore. There are lots of "primative" campsites all along the 22/40. with very good alpine stream fisihing mostly cutts and rainbows. If you are around mid september the Bulls are spawning and incredible when a 36" (+) trout brushes past your wader without even slowing down. Bolton Creek on the 40 is a good provincial campground without hooks. the upper Kananaskis lake has good fishing from shore or any trib. PM me if you want more info...