Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Florida to Grand Tetons, then on to Yellowstone

We are going to Grand Tetons NP and then on to Yellowstone. We have reservations there, but nothing on the way out. We don't know how far we should go each day...maybe 500 miles? Should we book campsites and push to make them each night, or just try to get a site on the way? Anyone out there with experience driving from central Fl? Any particular route we should take? This is our first major trip in our AS....

Thanks for any help!

Old 02-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
How far to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by megandrudy View Post
... We don't know how far we should go each day...maybe 500 miles?....

Thanks for any help!

A distance of 500 miles per day is a stretch. You will either be on the road for many hours, or have to drive 70 mph or more. Our daily goal is 200 miles, and we tow at 55 mph. We arrive at our daily destination reasonably fresh, and we have time to shop or see some local sights.

We almost never make reservations and have never had a problem with finding an overnight site.

Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Spanish Fort , Alabama
Enjoy the journey - not just the destination. Find a good stop or some place you would like to see approximately every 200 miles or so. We would like to make this trip some day. Will be watching for the recommendations.
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #4

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We have made that trip 3 times from Central Mississippi. The biggest difference between our journeys' and yours, we didn't have any reservations. We just wandered around in the general direction, deciding where to go on a daily basis. I guess that is a BIT of an exaggeration, we had some idea of things we wanted to see and a general idea of the direction. About lunch time, we would look at a map and start calling ahead for a campsite.

I think each trip was 4,000-4,500 miles for 14-17 days and we seldom stayed at a location more that 2-3 days. A good travel guess was 350-425 miles on a 'transit' day.

We will go back again but Yellerstone is waaaay to crowded for our tastes. Jackson Hole/Tetons is our favorite!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
We did a similar trip last year or the year before, leaving from Atlanta and headed to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons. Our difference was that I needed to attend a sales meeting in Cincinnati on the way out, so we routed through Wisconsin and North Dakota, across Montana and came in to Yellowstone through the northeast entrance over the Shoshone National Forest and Beartooth Gap - spectacular.

We didn't make any reservations ahead of time, and that way we could figure out how far we would make it in a day comfortably. Coming back, we returned to Atlanta through South Dakota, catching the Black Hills etc., and again no particular plans or reservations.

We took a similar strategy a few years before this when we traveled to CO/UT. Really made the trip more pleasant, quite frankly! It wasn't that we had unlimited time, but being able to decide ad hoc where to stop really made the trip even more enjoyable.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Beartooth Pass in case you are interested... not like you won't have your own fabulous views no matter how you get there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2456.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	179783   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2448.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	179784  

WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
"we"

500 miles per day - I've done it and it isn't fun. But in my case it was a family emergency.

You said "we" which indicates at least two people - if both are capable of towing, then you COULD make that many miles if you swap off. It's also a good idea to stop, lunch and siesta if you've got to make a certain destination. BUT if you're towing at night, stay on the interstate system and try to do it only near a full moon.

I agree with other posters 200-300 miles per day makes more sense. Get stopped early enough to enjoy the stopping point and have a relaxed dinner.

Be safe, enjoy the beautiful territory you travel through.

Paula
Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Make the trip from Miami to Yellowstone every spring (my wife and I work there in the summer). We hardly ever do more than 300 miles in a day. Towing demands more attention than cruising on 4 wheels and it is slower (I never drive faster than 65) so after 7 or eight hours, we hole up.

In the spring, we always travel I-10 at least to El Paso pretty much to avoid the thunderstorm (and possible tornado) season in the Midwest. When we were rookies, we got chased by tornadoes in both Nebraska and Texas and that was a zero on the fun meter.

Don't really need reservations until school gets out. We use RVParkreviews.com a lot and always seem to find somewhere interesting to camp.

Enjoy the journey!

Mike
Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
trip

Unfortunately, we are going during peak season..... I am a teacher and we have a teenager.

I gather not having reservations going out and coming back will be a good thing....since we really don't know how far we will make it each day.
(We went to the Canopener in January and that was a bit of a trip for us....the farthest we have towed a TT was to Key Largo.)

We are excited about this major trip....but a little nervous...hope we get it right the first time!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We will make at least part of your trip this summer. To Oklahoma City for a meeting then on to the Black Hills, Devils Tower, Little Big Horn, Glacier, Yellowstone, the Tetons, Jackson and down into Denver. We've estimate about 400 miles per day on transit days and assuming we will utilize Interstates in those instances. We've already made KOA reservations at the National Parks locations - expensive (Yellowstone) given that we'll be at these location during late July/August. I too am concerned about the crowds (we'll be in the Black Hills during Sturgis Bike Week, but staying south in Hot Springs. The dates are what they are. We'll be on the lookout for you.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Think you'll find that the 300-400 mile range is enough. My experience is that mileage allows an 8 am (or so) start, no panic on the miles to be made that day, a relaxing stop for lunch in the AS, and a final stop before 6 pm whenever possible. Always better to have daylight when you park and hookup for the night. Being in a rush with an AS is just not fun for me....the advantage of the trailer is is let's YOU make the schedule rather than an airline or a hotel check-in, etc... I did my first trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone when I was 11 years old (I'm 68 now). I still remember this trip vividly, as it was with my aunt and uncle in their '58 AS Tradewind...which is now in the possession of my sister and brother-in-law, has been frame-off restored, and very much loved and still on the road.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
our trip

We will be enroute beginning June 22...arriving June 27th. We check-out from the Tetons on the 30th and move on to Yellowstone until July 5th. We will be coming home through Miles City Montana.

I hope our fifteen year old will remember this trip as fondly as you remember yours, when she is 68!!!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
My husband and I did a similar trip in 2010; we were anxious to leave the hot Florida weather in late June, so we drove about 10 hour days until we got into scenery that we enjoyed, and then we'd slow down. Like others, we never knew where we would end up each night until later in the day. Some days, we'd pull over earlier than others if we found something intriguing on the map. We stayed at a state park in Tennessee one night because it was so hot we needed to run the A/C, a Love's truck stop in Missouri another (not scenic, but convenient and free!), and a state recreation area off of I-80 in Nebraska where we enjoyed some lakefront camping while our golden retriever could swim to her heart's content. I particularly loved the drive through Wyoming once getting past Cheyenne - it's very beautiful and remote. We stayed at Sinks Canyon State Park near Lander, WY before heading to the Tetons. It was gorgeous, but the sites are small (we had a smaller camper back then). One thing we also did was check weather forecasts on the iPhone and let that sway our decisions! Enjoy the trip - I wish I was caravanning with you Oh, by the way, do follow the parks' regulations for "bear-camping" when you get there!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
We took a trip some years back with our two teenagers (I still get the shakes) and we pulled in to a Wal-Mart in Mobile (we were heading to Big Bend for Thanksgiving break). The kids asked us what we were doing, and we said, hey, this is our campground for the night. Both of them were IMMEDIATELY texting their friends what humiliation their red neck parents were committing them to.

I can honestly say that, aside from the nervous twitch they both have today, neither of them seem worse for the wear. Counseling has helped. Someday they will thank us, but clearly it will after we have moved on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	179853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	179854  

WBCCI #1271