Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Florida to Grand Canyon

We had such a great experience going out to Grand Tetons & Yellowstone last year , we have decided to go out to Grand Canyon next summer. We had lots of help planning our trip to Yellowstone from all of you on the forum. Any suggestions for the Grand Canyon? Where is the best place to stay in a 34 footer? Any must sees or must do items on the way out or while we are there? We will be traveling with our 16 year old daughter and two dogs. Thank for all your help!
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We stayed at the south rim at Trailer Village with full hook-ups (very nice for vintage with no gray tank). Trailer Village is hardly that nice as a park; if it were elsewhere, it wouldn't be rated that highly. What makes it great is, well, the Grand Canyon, which is why you'd go there at all.

The south rim is full of people, and many complain about it for that reason. however, the vast bulk of those people spend an hour or so right near the Bright Angel Lodge ... and then leave. Go a hundred yards, and you're by yourself.

Lynn
Old 10-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

16 year old AND Dogs

I was thinking about making the trip fun for the daughter, but the dogs limit you because you don't want to leave them alone for very long.

I would have suggested stopping in New Orleans. Might be tough with a 34 So instead, Cajun Country might be a fun place to stop for the night.

Most cities in Texas have a Cowboys. Would she like to see country line dancing?

Sante Fe or Four Corners for some jewelry shopping.

I would stop for food, and or gas in Fredonia in Arizona. There is a busy
motel/bar/ restaurant/gas station where there is usually tons of young folks getting supplies for camping and river trips. She might figure out that the desert is cool.

For this one, I think that the journey could be as important as the destination
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
MegandRudy

It is out of the way but well worth the trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. About five million visit the GC each year; 4.5 million to the South Rim and .5 million visit the North Rim. The 34' trailer might fit into a few sites at the N Rim CG. There is dry camping at DeMott NFS campground about five miles north of the N Rim entrance station. Elevation is 1000 ft higher very different views of the canyon and best of all small crowds.

Being in the vicinity of Lake Powell you should stop at Wahweap CG at Page, AZ. The lake is beautiful and there are several options for boat/raft trips available. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
South of the Grand Canyon is the town of Sedona AZ. Rancho Sedona is a great place to camp especially if you get one of the riverside sites. Don't miss the Desert View Watch Tower at the east end of the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Also would suggest going on to Monument Valley, UT. The views are fantastic. Goulding's Lodge and Campground is a great place to stay,and try the Navajo Tacos at their lodge resturant. From Monument Valley you can head east to the Four Corners mentioned in another post and then on to Durango CO. Alpen Rose is located north of town and a good place to stay. Meza Verda and Telluride are both a nice day trip. From Durango you can head over to San Fe NM. I don't know your route but Memphis is a great stop. Tom Sawyer's RV Park is in W Memphis AR with some sites right on the Mississippi River. Blues City Cafe on the corner of Beal St is a great place for BBQ.
Oh so many places to see along the way.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
thanks!

I knew I could count on forum members to respond to my plea. Great suggestions so far. I am getting excited already!!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
We just worked on the South Rim for 6 months and the North Rim for six months...choose the North Rim. It is smaller, quieter, less people and many times more beautiful. The 34 footer will work nicely if you stay in Jacob Lake (35 miles to the rim) or Kanab, Utah (75 miles to the rim). It might work in the North Rim campground..but check first. I would stay in Kanab and see the North Rim, Coyote Buttes, Zion and Brice all by day driving. Then I would go to Page, AZ and stay on the lake for a couple of days.

Regards

Jerry
Old 10-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have been to both the South Rim and the North Rim on different trips. It's not very practical to try to do both rims in the same trip if your time is limited. If this is going to be your only trip, I'd chose the South Rim just because there's more to see/do there in terms of tourism and it is the most concentrated part of the park. That having been said, the North Rim is also fabulous, less crowded, better camping, etc etc...but it's also more remote...the reason it's less crowded. The good part is that it's near Zion and Bryce.

If you want to do the South Rim you could stay in Williams, AZ, at the Grand Canyon Railroad RV Park (it's a parking lot set-up but nice for what it is, and there are other RV parks in town)...the Railroad RV Park even has a kennel where you can board your dogs, and take the train to the South Rim. That way you don't have to battle the traffic of congested campgrounds so much, and there are trip of various lengths so you can see all that you would want to see.

If you do the South Rim you can also do Flagstaff, Sedona and the Red Rock Country,etc...there is a lot there to see/do. And summers in the high country are nice.

If you want to do the North Rim, there is a campground in the park about 1 mile from the lodge...it is dry camping, but if you are there at the right time of year and you are prepared to dry camp, it is fine. If you camp outside the park it is a bit of a drive to get to the park.

No matter which perspective you see the Grand Canyon from, be prepared to be awestruck. It is, as they say ..."grand"....
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Make Your Goal the North Rim

We have taken our Airstream (Old Number 2 in the Registry) to both the north rim and the south rim.
The south rim is way oversubscribed and the RV park is, well, an RV park.
The RV park at the north rim offers spacious campsites buffered from one another by trees.
As you plan your route, let me know if I can help you plan your way through NM and AZ to your destination (the North Rim, right?).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0679.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	818.7 KB
ID:	198828   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	451.4 KB
ID:	198829  

Name:	IMG_0686.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	495.6 KB
ID:	198830  
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
beautiful pictures

Wow! What beautiful pictures......we need to start playing the lottery. Retirement is too far away and there is so much out there that we need to see!!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Where We Stayed

While we were there, and on the way home, with another gratuitous shot of the North Rim thrown in:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0680.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	752.7 KB
ID:	198832   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0697.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	605.7 KB
ID:	198833  

Name:	IMG_0715.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	676.2 KB
ID:	198834  
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fergus , Ontario
You mention next summer for your visit. We are planning a trip in the same are but in March. Would it be too got in summer to visit Arizona?
curioscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
This I want to do with y'all SOMEDAY soon I hope.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Too hot?

Too hot in AZ. in summer....probably but we are from FL. , so we know about HOT. Summer is the only time we can go. ( I am a teacher and we have a 16 year old in high school.)

When I was little I was little I was famous for saying, "Come with us!"
The more the merrier......
Old 10-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
This I want to do with y'all SOMEDAY soon I hope.
I noticed you are from Ft. Myers. We were just in Bonita springs over Columbus Day weekend camping at koreshan state park. Nice park. We are going back December 6th for a wedding that is right down the street from the park....perfect for us!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
We have camped at the south rim (Mather both times) twice and the north rim once. We found both places enjoyable, for different reasons. The North Rim is quiet and offers good dayhikes down into the canyon as well as a very nice roadbike ride outbound toward the gate and back, about 25 miles. The south rim has more shops, people, stuff to see (including people, if you are into that). The rim hikes are easy and enjoyable. Another good bike ride is Hermits rest, with lots of pullouts and places to stop and be amazed at the scale of the canyon. If you are a trail runner, as I am, then the South Kaibab and Bright Angel are challenging and doable in one looooong day, if you are fit and used to speed hiking or trail running. My wife and I plan to return around Thanksgiving, back to Mather, so I can do the Rim-to River-to Rim run. Harder than the run, for me, is the drive from Louisiana to GCNP itself. It is a long, long drive if your time is limited and you have to drive straight out and straight back. But worth it for us.
jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Haven't been on this site for a while......didn't make it to the Grand Canyon last summer, but we are going this summer. Still excited and have looked into the information that ya'll have offered up. Looking forward to a great trip!

Old 04-25-2015, 10:21 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Question

We are going to Durango, Colorado for a vac rally before heading to the Grand Canyon. What is the best route to use to get to GC from Durango? Any suggestions for camping along the way? we seem to be having a hard time finding anything half way.....it seems like it may be too long of a drive to go straight through to GC.....but we may have to.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #19
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Highway 160 to 89S to AZ64 is the direct route. It's only about 300 miles and easily doable in one day from Durango. If you want to stop, there is the Navajo National Monument on the way. Or if you have the time, make a side trip up to Monument Valley and camp at Gouldings, it's worth it!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote