Old 10-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
This I want to do with y'all SOMEDAY soon I hope.
I noticed you are from Ft. Myers. We were just in Bonita springs over Columbus Day weekend camping at koreshan state park. Nice park. We are going back December 6th for a wedding that is right down the street from the park....perfect for us!

megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
We have camped at the south rim (Mather both times) twice and the north rim once. We found both places enjoyable, for different reasons. The North Rim is quiet and offers good dayhikes down into the canyon as well as a very nice roadbike ride outbound toward the gate and back, about 25 miles. The south rim has more shops, people, stuff to see (including people, if you are into that). The rim hikes are easy and enjoyable. Another good bike ride is Hermits rest, with lots of pullouts and places to stop and be amazed at the scale of the canyon. If you are a trail runner, as I am, then the South Kaibab and Bright Angel are challenging and doable in one looooong day, if you are fit and used to speed hiking or trail running. My wife and I plan to return around Thanksgiving, back to Mather, so I can do the Rim-to River-to Rim run. Harder than the run, for me, is the drive from Louisiana to GCNP itself. It is a long, long drive if your time is limited and you have to drive straight out and straight back. But worth it for us.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Haven't been on this site for a while......didn't make it to the Grand Canyon last summer, but we are going this summer. Still excited and have looked into the information that ya'll have offered up. Looking forward to a great trip!

Old 04-25-2015, 11:21 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Question

We are going to Durango, Colorado for a vac rally before heading to the Grand Canyon. What is the best route to use to get to GC from Durango? Any suggestions for camping along the way? we seem to be having a hard time finding anything half way.....it seems like it may be too long of a drive to go straight through to GC.....but we may have to.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #19
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Highway 160 to 89S to AZ64 is the direct route. It's only about 300 miles and easily doable in one day from Durango. If you want to stop, there is the Navajo National Monument on the way. Or if you have the time, make a side trip up to Monument Valley and camp at Gouldings, it's worth it!

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote