Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Florida suggestions (the Atlantic side) - Post Hurricane

We are headed to Florida next week without much plans. Looking for suggestions on where we might be able to stay over the next month as we work ourselves down from Jacksonville to the Keys staying 3-4 nights at each location. We only have one reservation and this is for Key West as we wanted to be flexible the rest of the time.

Ocean front views would be great but understand that will be very unlikely since we haven't pre-booked a bunch of reservations. We are looking for recommendations on fun locations from fellow Airstreamers.

No kids, 2 dogs, and not 50+. We work during the day so can't do a lot of "Walmart" overnight camping.

Looking for a places near 1) Jacksonville/St Augustine 2) something south of Orlando/Melbourne area 3) North of Miami 4) South of Miami/something before the Keys.
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Anastasia SP, St Augustine is a great park with sites a short walk to a beautiful beach.
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
River Ranch, FL. We don't have ocean views but we have a mechanical bull.

http://www.riverranchrv.com/
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Anastasia was hit hard by the hurricane, check ahead. In fact any beach front camping may be iffy on the first coast, don't know for sure so check ahead. That's what I've heard, may be wrong.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Jonathan Dickinson State Park would put you fairly close to the ocean, and there are interesting things to do in the area. From there you'd be about 3-3.5 hours from the upper Keys.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
We own a small beach house on Anastasia Island in St. Augustine and thankfully were spared the hit that Matthew delivered here. I drove from Anastasia SP to Palm Coast yesterday, and you want to steer clear of this stretch of A1A. Anastasia SP is closed- they are hoping to open Tuesday, but the ranger said it is a real mess. A1A just north of 206 to Palm Coast has standing water on both sides of street, but all bridges are open. Gamble Rogers in Flagler County is a nice park- ocean and river (ICW) sites- but not sure if they are open-http://www.fox35orlando.com/news/local-news/210365686-story. This is A1A right near Gamble Rogers.
Go to reserveamerica.com for state and federal parks- just type in Florida. If you are willing to travel a little inland, Salt Springs is a nice park in the Ocala National Forest. I would think that the coast down through Titusville is a little “iffy” right now-definitely call first.
There is a private campground right next to my neighborhood- Bryn Mawr Ocean Resort. Don’t know anything about it, but it is right on the ocean- you may want to check it out. Happy camping!
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Considering you are traveling into the sun without reservations I would get the ALLSTAYS app. It gives you everything on a map down to and including the county grounds that often go unnoticed.

The descriptions are quite complete and phone numbers are handy

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
Tomoka State Park near Ormond Beach is nice if Gamble Rogers isn't open. It is in Halifax River but you have to walk down to see river. I hear Jetty park (city run) near Canivral is nice but haven't stayed there. If you have to go inland, Turkey Lake in Orlando is great. I like Larry and Penny Thompson in Miami. I don't think there are any beach front or Atlantic side waterfront parks between Jonathan Dickson and Pennecamp.
If you see an Avion in the keys last two weeks of November it'll be us.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Florida's Atlantic coast took it pretty hard. Best bet is to look on Allstays, RVParky, or another app and see what you can find. Jetty Park is open but the campground is closed. Same for Sebastian Inlet State Park. Call before you go. Parts of A1A, the highway along the beach, were closed but may have re-opened. Call before you go.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Sounds like it is time to discover central Florida and some western wonders! If I may suggest an itenerary:
I don't know your interests but from a nature and sights perspective here are some goodies.
Stop 1: Stephen Foster state Park near Lake City
Stop 2: Crystal River and the Manatee Swim (pick a park)
http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions.../crystal-river
Stop 3: Fort Desoto County Campground- hard to get but try
http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/camping.htm
Stop 4: Oscar Shearer State Park Sarasota 4 days - Nokomis Beach, Ringling Museum, Casey Key Fish House
Stop 5 Koreshan State Park Fort Myers- shop some, Bonita Beach, Naples, etc.
Stop 6 Everglades a few days.
Stop 7 Keys area.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:52 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Fantastic!!! Some great suggestions. I am now looking some of these up online. Keep the suggestions coming if you have them. As I already know some of these will not pan out such as Anastasia State Park is booked. Looks like some good private CG suggested, I'm sure those will be our best bet for late booking.

I will report back
Old 10-16-2016, 09:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Sounds like it is time to discover central Florida and some western wonders! If I may suggest an itenerary:
I don't know your interests but from a nature and sights perspective here are some goodies.
Stop 4: Oscar Shearer State Park Sarasota 4 days - Nokomis Beach, Ringling Museum, Casey Key Fish House
Stop 7 Keys area.

Thank you for suggesting all of these. We will be returning from the Keys this direction so your list is perfect. I was kind of focused on the southern Atlantic route for now as I didn't want to plan to far ahead. I'll look to reverse your list as we return up the Gulf Coast and see what we can get into.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:01 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP54 View Post
We own a small beach house on Anastasia Island in St. Augustine and thankfully were spared the hit that Matthew delivered here. I drove from Anastasia SP to Palm Coast yesterday, and you want to steer clear of this stretch of A1A. Anastasia SP is closed- they are hoping to open Tuesday, but the ranger said it is a real mess. A1A just north of 206 to Palm Coast has standing water on both sides of street, but all bridges are open. Gamble Rogers in Flagler County is a nice park- ocean and river (ICW) sites- but not sure if they are open-http://www.fox35orlando.com/news/local-news/210365686-story. This is A1A right near Gamble Rogers.
Go to reserveamerica.com for state and federal parks- just type in Florida. If you are willing to travel a little inland, Salt Springs is a nice park in the Ocala National Forest. I would think that the coast down through Titusville is a little “iffy” right now-definitely call first.
There is a private campground right next to my neighborhood- Bryn Mawr Ocean Resort. Don’t know anything about it, but it is right on the ocean- you may want to check it out. Happy camping!

I know a few of the campgrounds say "closed until further noticed, please do not call" on their website so I assume this is bad for us for more reasons then just not being able to get into those campgrounds. All the folks kicked out of their pre-planned spots are gathering up all the limited vacancies.

I hope none of the places are too badly damaged.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Yes, lots of these parks are booked year-round & hard to get a reservation. Some do have a certain percentage of "walk-in" sites, but you must be able to arrive at the park fairly quickly. I like your free-spirited attitude as far as not having locked-in plans. I'm sure you will find some treasures along the way! I too hope there isn't extensive damage to the state parks- Mother Nature has hit the reset button for sure!!
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
2008 Base Camp
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Geneva , Florida
Fort clinch state park in Fernanda beach. Sebastian inlet state park south of Melbourne. Jonathan Dickinson state park north of Jupiter. Bahia Honda State park in the upper keys. As you can tell I am a fan of state parks. ��
altlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
There is lots to see. Sometimes the areas you just drive by have some hidden treasures.

Oleno State Park in the north is nice too. There is also a park in Collier Co Seminole if Koreshan is booked. If they are full and you are desperate Woodsmoke is a private one and very nice but $$. There is also Turtle Beach county park but hide the dogs. People get by with little dogs there.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:35 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
Quote:
There is lots to see. Sometimes the areas you just drive by have some hidden treasures.

Oleno State Park in the north is nice too. There is also a park in Collier Co Seminole if Koreshan is booked. If they are full and you are desperate Woodsmoke is a private one and very nice but $$. There is also Turtle Beach county park but hide the dogs. People get by with little dogs there.
It might be reopen but last time I cheked Koreshan state park was closed for renovation.
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
It might be reopen but last time I cheked Koreshan state park was closed for renovation.
That's right. I was just there but not at the campground. Thanks for that.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Stop 7 Keys area.
Some good recommendations there! You'll probably do better at private and county campgrounds than State Parks, they fill up fast.

If you can't get a spot in Stephen Foster, try Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park. That place rarely fills up, unless there's a music festival going on.

We just got back from Chassahowitzka River Campground (near Crystal River), very nice, lots of room there.

Koreshan has been closed since April for renovations.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Reserve America is worth checking. In our area of Florida (Indian River County) I would recommend Sebastian Inlet State Park. It's on the island and although the campsites are not ocean view, it's a short walk from them to the boardwalk.

There are also some county parks such as Brevard County's Long Point and Jetty Park campgrounds. Worth checking. Most county parks are not listed in Reserve America. Many are in AllStays.

Comment on one earlier suggestion... I believe Koreshan State Park's campground is closed for renovation until spring. Again, Reserve America would be the source to consult.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote