Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Florida RV Parks

We are taking our first trip to Florida in our Bambi in February. How is Christmas RV Park (near Orlando)? What parks would you recommend in the Ft. Myers area? Any advice would be welcome.
donna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
was doing some work at the Christmas Park couple of months ago...it is my belief that this is no longer an airstream only park...in fact i believe it to be just another rv park...it is almost in the middle of no where....

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
RV Park Reviews :: Orlando, Florida ( FL ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I've never been to the Christmas RV Park, so no comment on that. Fort Myers - If the Sarasota area constitutes the Fort Myers area for you, this one gets excellent reviews.

Holiday Cove RV Resort - Florida RV Resort located in Cortez, FL offering RV Sites and Boat Slips

May be too north for you.

RV Park Reviews :: Fort Myers, Florida ( FL ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews
Old 12-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Just passed the Christmas park this morning. Leefields is right, it's no longer an Airstream Exclusive park. Though there are many airstreams still in there... I believe they have a pool and clubhouse. Though it's in a pretty small town adjacent to Fort Christmas, it is centrally located to Orlando and Kennedy Space Center/Cocoa Beach. The FL WBCCI unit has an annual Installation and Volunteer Rally at Fort Christmas each year in December. Sorry I don't have any more info on the park amenities. Here's their web site though: Christmas RV Park
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi,

We stayed at the Shady Acres RV park and it was fairly nice. The managers are very nice, they have wifi and cable.

You could also try the Army Corps of Engineers park, Very well kept, and is on the river, next to the locks.

Marie
Old 12-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
10 miles south of Ft Myers is Koreshan State Park and it's terrific. The early 1900's preserved settlement structures are incredible. Looks like people were just in those buildings yesterday! awesome nature trails too. Main Page - Koreshan State Historic Site » Florida State Parks
kstampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

tampa , Florida
Since this is your first trip I'd strongly ecourage you to reroute your trip slightly and visit Fort Desoto State Park The Official Fort DeSoto Park Home Page It was named America’s Top Beach for 2009 Pristine Area Favorite Lauded as “Portrait of Tranquility”. Reserve well in advance online. And if you have a dog, it has the only leash-free dog beach I know of in the state! Your pooch will be eternally grateful. Even in February you will find many dogs beaching it. Great restaraunts nearby too! We're in tampa and travel 30 minutes just for the dog beach some weekends. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
Ditto on Christmas RV Park. Also there is Bill Frederick Park and Pool at Turkey Lake. This is a City of Orlando Park. Even though this park is less than thirty minutes from our house we have stayed there in our Airstream. It is a very nice park (cheap rate) and probably easier to get into than a state park and located just five minutes from Universal. Or fifteen from Disney. Moss Park near Orlando is also a good park. But this is an Orange County park that does not allow dogs. This park is about thirty minutes from attractions. Guess it just depends on location & what you are looking for.

Koreshan State Park in Estero, Florida near Ft. Myers is great. We just got back from there a few weeks ago. I would definitely go back and to the same site I had. I have pictures if needed.

Safe travels . . .
Ms. Rivet
MsRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions! Both Koreshan and Ft Desoto sound great, but unfortunately, they are both fully booked for the dates we want. The search continues........ But I was able to book Anastasis state park in St. Augustine, where we will stop on our return to NC.

Thanks again,
Donna
donna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:47 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

tampa , Florida
you will love Anastasia sp! Great pic. You may want to try the Gypsy Cab Co. Restaraunt Gypsy Cab, Fine Cousine and Catering Saint Augustine, Florida . It's spectacular and only a short distance from the park.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Try the W.P. Franklin North campground. It is located on an island in the Caloosahatchee River -- almost all the sites are waterfront. Two way hookups. Great fishing. Lots of wildlife. Facilities spotless. Run by the Corps of Engineers so try:

Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Blandford , Massachusetts
Paradize Park Airstream/Class A MH Community

This park is primarily 314 sites owned by individuals. It is remote, about 20 miles from Fort Myers. Some sites are available to rent from owners. There is also a transient area available. Website is quite informative. Be warned, most of us went for a visit; initially felt it was too remote; then bought a site.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
You've made a good choice in picking a Florida State Park as they are GREAT and, in our opinion, much better than RV parks for their natural beauty, camping atmosphere and space between units.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Awww. Too bad you're possibly coming to Saint Augustine in Feb. It's a month I won't be here Gypsy Cab is okay but I can give you a list of decent restaurants... PM me if you decide to come to my town!

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Try the W.P. Franklin North campground. It is located on an island in the Caloosahatchee River -- almost all the sites are waterfront. Two way hookups. Great fishing. Lots of wildlife. Facilities spotless. Run by the Corps of Engineers so try:

Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov

mike
I agree! We just stayed at this park a few weeks ago and had a great stay! Highly recommend it!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Blandford , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heybeep View Post
This park is primarily 314 sites owned by individuals. It is remote, about 20 miles from Fort Myers. Some sites are available to rent from owners. There is also a transient area available. Website is quite informative. Be warned, most of us went for a visit; initially felt it was too remote; then bought a site.
Wow--I have not visited this site since Feb 2010. That's when we sold our Airstream and moved to a different site and to a Class A Motorhome in Paradise Park. We miss the Airstream and may rethink the motorhome. We still have the two sites and have one available for sale or rent. Paradise Park is a great member owned RV Resort in southern Fl. Contact us through messaging facility or responding to this post if intersested.