Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2004, 09:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Florida RV Condominium Resorts

I'm a native Floridian - knowlegeable about Florida in general - but not well-versed with respect to RV Condominium Resorts. We've been working out of state for the past seven or eight years and we only recently started to consider a return to Florida for retirement. My general preference is the Gulf Coast, south of the panhandle to Naples, and central Florida, as located west of U.S. 27, from about Ocala to Lake Placid. That's a fairly large area so, with the exception of major metropolitan areas, my specific preference is for the center of that area.

I've requested literature on several of the area RV resorts - but it would really be nice to hear from people with Airstreams who have "bought-in" to a specific resort. What do they think about the lifestyle, property values, cost, management, etc.? I'm somewhat inclined to a rather simple RV type facility - with little more than a roof over the trailer, an attached utility room with laundry facilities, a large screened-in porch and, at the most, a guest/entertainment room with kitchenette and bathroom. I've noticed quite a flurry of activity, in response to ads for RV lots in Florida, so this must be a subject that many others are interested in also.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:17 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I was in FL last month, and after a trip to the beach in Melbourne, I popped in to the 2 airstream parks there. (port 'o call is closing soon, though ). I checked out the other one, too, and it seemed nice. very open...only palm trees in the actual park area. All the lots had a little shed on them, in which people put their washer-dryers. (no clothes lines hanging out in the open). They were squeezed in pretty tight, but everything was very neat and orderly looking.

I poked my head inside the common building to see if anyone was around...wondering if they had any sites for transients, in case I ever make a trailering trip down there. Couldn't find any info, but there was a bulletin board, with at least a couple of adds posted for "shares" in the park....so I'm thinking that the spots must be "condo'd". anyway, I know its not in your geographic target area, but they were asking 10K for these "shares".

also...there were a few SOBs in the park, as well, which I was wondering about....transients, perhaps? they were just mixed in w/ all the others, though. anyway, I thought it was supposed to be Airstream "exclusive". (?)
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:25 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
While it isn't a condo resort, take a look at Travelers Rest Resort near Dade City. Exit 293 off I-75. Lots of amenities and great people. Was an all Airstream resort until a few years ago, so lots of Airstreams still here. Web address is www.travelersrestresort.com. Thats me in the sewing photo.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
RV Resorts

How about "Mt. Olive" in Sebring? Any information on that one?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:50 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Almost all of the Airstream parks that were Airstream "only" have had to open up to accept any brand.

The parks are normally owned by individuals who own a "share". Each share is a site in the park. The share is for a particular site. There are normally some sort of maintenance fees for the grounds, and buildings. Each one works differently.

Some of the Airstream parks like Mystic Springs or Christmas Airstream Park are owned by a unit. This may have a share plan or just a conditional use program or both.

The park offices normally have a list of shares available for sale in the parks.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote