Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...

Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Indianapolis , Indiana
Florida recommendations - full timing starting January!

We are finally ready to embark on our full time RV life and I'm looking to book our first month in Florida, it's our little treat to ourselves and the first month out we just want to be plugged in somewhere nice until we get our bearings before we try boondocking.

SO, I'm trying to find recommendations on a good place to stay not too far from the gulf coast, with two dogs, and that is less than $1200 per month. Not too particular on the exact city we stay near. I thought I would check here for some suggestions since there is just SO much info to wade through online.

Sadie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Florida's west coast is long, varies from subtropics to temperate, price you quoted is probabily furthest south, less as you go north, good direct access to beaches difficult to find as you go north. You might think you are boondocking at some of the cg's north of Crystal River. If you want unique try cedar key or steinhatchee. January to Feb is the coldest months, even Henry Ford and Alexander Graham Bell knew Fort Meyers was the winter place to be.

DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1991 34' Limited
Currently Looking...
White Pigeon , Michigan
One month in florida

We winter in Florida every year, first question is which month you have in mind. availability and price do change during that period.Second question is how close to the beach is close enough. Even fairly close should be no more then half of what you suggested. One help is to book early, OK. IF I could be more help, PM me. Bud
Airhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Try Jekyll Island, GA (about an hour North of Jacksonville, FL) if you get over to the NE caost of FLA. There is a great campground on the North end of the island.
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Indianapolis , Indiana
It will be for January, not sure where we will go after that. I'd like to stay near the beach if we can afford it, and yes, definitely further south would be better for January. Any good ones I should check out? The few I've emailed so far (that even list email on their sites) are either booked already or don't allow pets. Oh and we're not in the 55+ crowd. Hope I'm not too late to get a decent spot somewhere!
Sadie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Pretty late but you might try the COE campground a the Franklin Locks on the Caloosahatchee river just east of Ft Myers. Right on the river and you can watch the boats go through the locks. jim
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2008 28' Safari SE
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Take a look at Topsail Hill State Park (Gregory E. Moore RV Resort) in the panhandle of Florida.

Welcome to Florida State Parks

There is plenty to do and you can ride your bike, walk or take the tram to the beach. There are lots of things to do in the area and plenty of nice scenery. It does get cold in January, but I think you can handle it just fine coming from Indiana.
Almost there.........
Tyrinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We found campgrounds and state parks ridiculously expensive the farther south in Florida you go. Living in Indiana, you would find a weather break in January even in the panhandle, where it is sweater weather that time of year.

The Gulf Islands National Seashore areas on the Gulf are beautiful and reasonable, although you would have to move from one to the other after two weeks.

Happy hunting, and will look for you on the road. We will be heading south in January, ourselves.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Military?? or have base access?? - I just got back from a trip to the Keys. The base there has sites for $22 a night - stays up to 30 days are allowed. Very nice with full hookups and beach access (well, a rock jetty but with lobsters). Thinking of doing an extended stay there off season next year.

I would 2nd the Topsail campground also - very nice.
Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
I just talked with the Sun 'n' Fun award winning RV Resort today - they have space available. Their rate, for the next five days when the 2011 rates go into effect run about $1300 per month for Jan - Feb - March - the highest price months. It is just off I-75 in the Sarasota, FL area - about half way down the gulf coast. Should be decent weather in the winter months. They won the big resort "Best" award in 2008 and 2010 I think it was. When reading the RVParkreviews comments, people that have been there really like it. Even though it is huge, 1500 sites, it is designed for all. Lots to do and room to do it. Sounds like a nice place. We are contemplating going there in Jan - Feb., 2011. Good luck with your full timing and your first trip.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
If you do have military privileges, MacDill AFB in Tampa is right on the bay...nice! Call early tho.
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
Silver Mist
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Travelers Rest Dade City, FL

'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote