Old 08-21-2003, 09:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Florida Keys this Winter .... ?

I would greatly appreciate any information and recommendations my fellow Airstreamers might be able to offer with regards to a prolonged stay of 1-2 months in the Florida Keys this winter.

Good experiences ... bad experiences .... rates to be expected ... facilities ... better places to go for a month or two .... etc.

No kids ... just my dog and I.

I'd like to hear it all straight from the horses mouth ...

Thank you in advance.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2003, 09:36 AM   #2

Keys-

Got lotsa money? Bluewater at mm 13.5 is the best- maybe in the USA- about $1400/month, but see it and you know why. 15 minutes to Homo Heaven KW...

Habla Espanol? Knights Key is turned into lil Hialeah every weekend- especially when the rates are lower. Expect loud music and its pretty easy to get into a fight- and get things stolen. Its on the south side of Marathon.

Geiger Key is a decent place for not too much money, and its around Big Pine- the monthly rates are good.

For the best month- book 2 weeks at Bahia Honda, then 2 weeks at Long Key- both state parks- $20+ a night, but the 2 week limit is all you can get, then its move on to the next. BH is awesome! LK is oceanfront. Their reservation system SUX, so don't expect much...

Not many blue crabs or Pabst available down there- better bring yer own!

Enjoy!

Old 08-21-2003, 09:47 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Keys ...

Thank you ... this is most helpful.

Having not been there, any information I can gleen from this forum from others who have experience there will be a blessing.

Really looking forward to it .... guess I should get my act in gear ASAP.

~Peter
Old 08-21-2003, 09:54 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Morning Dew
its true. there is know pabst or blue crabs...but there is lots of rum and florida lobster. the rates in the winter are not good. bahia honda is awesome though. its the only natural beach in the keys. you can go diving right of the beach. i'd look in Woodals right now and compare prices. you should definately make reservations asap. have fun, maybe i'll see ya down there.
2500 Truck with Cummins Diesel Power and a 4.10 rear end.
Morning Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 10:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Keys ...

I'll be making reservations this week if at all possible.

Looking forward to the rum and lobsters ... crab is something you can have every day here.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:40 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

i prefer lobster. just learn how to catch them because even in the keys its 15$ or more per tail. if your in the right spot they're as thick as cockroches.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:44 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

If I could just learn to eat cockroaches I'd be all set in Fla. wouldn't I?
Old 08-21-2003, 11:10 AM   #8

la cucharacha...

I've never had a roach in any of my trailers here- just ants, and they're pretty easily disposed of....

The BEST thing in the Keys- Chocolate coverered Key Lime Pie on a stick! Get 'em at the Key Largo Shell station- which usually has the safest diesel fuel on the way down- stay away from the Marathon station- bad stuff.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:16 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

key largo always has the cheapest and freshest fuel. luckly i can make it from my place to key west on one tank of fuel so i don't have to worry about it. i don't get any cockroaches in my trailer either. come to think of it i don't see em' that often down here. it think they might be more of central/north florida thing.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:25 AM   #10

Question is-

Can you make it down to KW and back out on one? Thats where you find yourself buying that nasty Kero-gaso-dieseline mix that they sell further south. I live in South Beach, and can get there easily on one, and maybe even home- but if I stay a few days and use some riding around, I can't- so I top off there in NKL at the Shell, fill my cooler up with the Key Lime on a stick and head down...

I think the roaches are more of a Ghetto Thang, than a N and Central thing- keep your place clean and they stay away...
Old 08-21-2003, 12:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Silver City, the travel trailer sites at Bahia Honda are very close to the main highway and the 18 wheelers, about 20 yards for some, and the noise spoilt the campsite for me. I didn't see people sitting outside their trailers when I was there for 2 weeks last winter, and I believe the noise is the reason. However, the beach is great. Parts are within a few hundred yards, but the main part of the beach is a mile or so north. I shall be back there in January, but I know what to expect this time. Nick.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:17 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

if i squeze every drip in possible, i can make it there and back on one tank (35 gal). remember i'm runing an inline six not a v8. i might not be runing 0 to 60 in 8 seconds but i don't care, thats not why i bought my diesel(leave that to the ford guys) i've got a chip in my truck and new injectors so i average about 19 mpg while towing at 65mph. if i bring er' up to 70 it drops to around 14.5.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:33 PM   #13

I know-

I have a 1995 Powerstroke in my custom Airstream Bus- it rocks! But fuel is around 14 loaded and pulling a trailer- it holds 3 motorcycles in back and has a 7' x 4' ramp- I don't mind- its a great set up and I only paid $3000 for the bus.

I also have an F250 with a 6.9/auto/4.10 and I get 18+ out of that- How? Its got a Gear Vendor Electronic OD. 70 MPH at 2000 RPM and really smooth. When I pull it goes to about 14 MPG.

I had a 1996 Chevy G30 Ext van before with a 6.5 diesel- never again...
Old 08-21-2003, 01:00 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

my friend owns his own diesel shop so i take out the chip and put the stock injectors back in when i'm not towing more than 2 tons. at stock/ without towing i'm at 2100rpm going 83mph. thats usually what i cruise at on the interstate. i've got a house in tampa and naples plus i'm driving to the keys once a month. i just celebrated my trucks 2nd birthday since ive owned; i bought her new with 600 miles, shes now got over 84k. runs like the day i bought her and just as strong. my friends got a 1990 b series cummins with 800k on it and it still runs great. its not a great interstate tow vehicle cause he put a 3 speed in it but it still pulls his 12000lb boat all around naples.