Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2003, 08:35 PM   #21

I hope you like your dog...

The Keys are no place to find women- its bring your own, or watch- I've gotten some down there but its DAMN hard- had to pull out my best lies! "I think you're wonderful, I think I love you" that kinda crap...

The guys I know in the Keys have a saying- you never really lose your girl- you just lose your turn!

KL is your best bet, or KW if you can move fast and get the foreign girls off the cruise ships that are there for the day...

Might be a good ploy to stay at Bluewater at mm13.5. and roll into KW when the ships come in. Pick one up and romance her into staying there with ya on her days off.
trailertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 08:52 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Hope you like your dog...

I do like my dog but not in that way ....

I'll take your advise to heart and either bring my own or look elswhere than Key West.

Somehow I'm getting this image of rhinestone glasses, frizzy bleached hair and clam digger pants ...
Silver City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 09:58 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Morning Dew
hes right...if you can get to kw when the cruise ships are in town(every day) look for the foreign chicks. i'm only 21 and i've been going down there for years with my friends. for my 21st birthday i went down there every weekend for 7 weeks straight. duval st. in kw has tons of women but at a high price(6$ per budweiser). the trick is find your lady before duval st. if your on kw for a great,inexpensive time go to schoonars wharf. after it closes at 2 Am. go to p.t.'s across the street. they serve awesome food and well priced booze until 4 a.m. its a good place to get away from the tourist crowd. i've worked on boats since i was 15 and we've done this nearly every time i was in port. just stay around the old marina and you'll find the best local hangouts/prices not to mention food.
2500 Truck with Cummins Diesel Power and a 4.10 rear end.
Morning Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 05:37 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
One of my favorite spots in FL is Marco Island. Sadly, no RV parks or campgrounds, that I am aware of. But, there is a KOA and other spots around Naples.

Another place on the Atlantic side is Nettles Island. Some friends of ours have an RV pad there, with a boat launch.

What's your opinion on Marco, Morning Dew?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 08:17 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Morning Dew
I've got a good friend that fishes out of marco and another that is the manager at the marco west marine. i live about 30 minutes from there. The fishing inshore is unreal. its right in the northern tenthousand islands area. I'm not to fond of visiting because the old rich people from up north have taken the island over. They cater to the snowbirds. too many condos. I prefer chokoluskee or everglades city. But then again most people cant stand those places because of all the "poor locals". Oh well, least the fishings good. i NEVER go to the east coast, except for the lauderdale boat show. I really think florida is two faced. the east coast is more upscale and seems to run at a higher tempo while the west coast, except for naples, is more laid back and underdeveloped. The keys definately fit the west coast style.
2500 Truck with Cummins Diesel Power and a 4.10 rear end.
Morning Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 06:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Two things to keep in mind for Katarina:

1. Be sure she is current on her rabies vaccination. Rabies runs rampant in many parts of Florida.

2. Be sure to keep her on heartworm prevention medicine. We have lots of mosquitoes year-round and heartworms are a real problem.

I can't recommend a particular place to stay. We always stay at a dive resort on Key Largo, because we go to the keys for the diving and have a good relationship with this dive master. We prefer morning dives so we skip the nightlife.

I'm sure others out here will continue to give you advice regarding finding a good place to stay and do the things you want to do.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
East vs West.

Hi Guys...
For what it's worth, from an English point of view , I truely think the E/W divide is totaly true, we loved the East coast, as it was racey, and the west coast for it's steady pace, we all found both sides totaly different, and all have our own pet loves of places, I guess if EVERY town had a A U C E diner, it would be the land of paradise, it's NOT far off that now, we were amazed how well the different places catered for peoples pastimes, of course U guys mostly r Go-Getters..., whilst we tend 2b a little late at taking the plunge...as it were...
Talking LOBSTERS...I never tried the things...My D/D went ape when she saw them swimming in a tank at Wally-World in Kissimmee, then she went bananas when someone HAD 2 tell her they were NOT pets...wanted 2 buy the lot an release them....
Now as we r comin over agn in Jan: '04, to BOSTON, I guess I may try 4 myself the FAMOUS Boston lobster , usualy my other D/D brings me some CHOCOLATE ones...nice but not quite, lol.
She will be over in October for a few days, visiting her Friends, an finding out the eating places 4me no doubt...
Well all have a great weekend...Chris.....
Old 12-12-2003, 09:55 AM   #28
nds
3 Rivet Member

Re: I hope you like your dog...

Quote:
Originally posted by trailertrash
The Keys are no place to find women- its bring your own, or watch- I've gotten some down there but its DAMN hard- had to pull out my best lies! "I think you're wonderful, I think I love you" that kinda crap...

The guys I know in the Keys have a saying- you never really lose your girl- you just lose your turn!

KL is your best bet, or KW if you can move fast and get the foreign girls off the cruise ships that are there for the day...

Might be a good ploy to stay at Bluewater at mm13.5. and roll into KW when the ships come in. Pick one up and romance her into staying there with ya on her days off.
I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 14 years and used to drive down to Key Largo quite a bit on weekends to see a friend of mine that manages the famous Caribbean Club, where the Bogart movie "Key Largo" was filmed.

TT is right, the Keys aren't the place to be hunting women. Those that are available, you'll probably wish weren't.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:21 AM   #29
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Chris said:

Quote:
she went bananas when someone HAD 2 tell her they were NOT pets...wanted 2 buy the lot an release them
LOL... I go through that same thing with my seven year old daughter everytime I go into Wally World too!

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:00 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Don’t you need a passport for Key West? I heard they seceded from the Union sometime in the early 80’s. Maybe it was the surrender part I missed!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:23 AM   #31
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1985air345
Don’t you need a passport for Key West? I heard they seceded from the Union sometime in the early 80’s. Maybe it was the surrender part I missed!
It was during the 80's, while I was living in Ft. Lauderdale. They called the new nation the Conch Republic. Had their own Navy (some of the fishing boats painted Conch Republic Navy on the sides of their vessels) and they had an Air Force (some of those planes with pontoons).

It was over problems with getting the State of Florida and the Federal government to improve the fresh water lines, roads, etc., going down into the Keys. They actually had an old cannon on one boat, went out a few miles off the coast of Marathon Key (I think), pointed North and fired! The shot heard around the world, or at least that Key.

The whole thing was pretty funny and the Governor of Florida at the time, played along with it too. Everything got settled and the Keys were allowed back into the Union.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 12:42 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Hello,

I've done some research on Florida State Park campgrounds for an upcoming trip in March and I've found that none of the campgrounds on the Keys allow pets. The nearest state campgrounds to the Keys that do are Jonathan Dickinson (above West Palm Beach) and Collier-Seminole (near Naples). I recommend you check out ReserveAmerica.com asap for reservations as the Florida State Park campgrounds get pretty booked up during the winter months.
myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:00 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Lakeway , Texas
We are starting to plan our south Florida stay for November and December of 2014. Would appreciate any updates on recommendations for anywhere from Homestead all the way down to Key West.

Thanks,

Mark & Girlie
Lakeway78734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:20 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
Parkville , Missouri
As for pets in Fla State Parks go to their web sight ..for the real info (pets OK)

Also for those that question .. Can make it down and back on a tank ..and HOMO KW...IMHO you should maybe look for another area
MoBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sunshine Key allows pets. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have stayed in all of the State Parks in the Keys and they all allow pets. Usual restrictions: always leashed , no "tie-outs", can't leave unattended ( which means outdoors - pets secure in your camper are fine as long as they are quiet). No pets on the beach.

Spent Christmas this year at Long Key and there were lots of dogs...

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Lakeway , Texas
I will be following this thread as we are planning to be in the Florida Keys November and December of 2014.

Will pass along anything interesting that we find out from other sources.

Best regards,

Mark McClure
Old 04-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Lakeway , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I have stayed in all of the State Parks in the Keys and they all allow pets. Usual restrictions: always leashed , no "tie-outs", can't leave unattended ( which means outdoors - pets secure in your camper are fine as long as they are quiet). No pets on the beach.

Spent Christmas this year at Long Key and there were lots of dogs...

Mike
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Dew View Post
if i squeze every drip in possible, i can make it there and back on one tank (35 gal). remember i'm runing an inline six not a v8. i might not be runing 0 to 60 in 8 seconds but i don't care, thats not why i bought my diesel(leave that to the ford guys) i've got a chip in my truck and new injectors so i average about 19 mpg while towing at 65mph. if i bring er' up to 70 it drops to around 14.5.
That must quite a chip--my '06 Ram 3500 gets 13MPG towing a 1965 Overlander at 60MPH.
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote