Old 08-21-2003, 01:32 PM   #15

Thats the trick...

You have to have the right tranny in a Dodge. They have a terrible rep- the AT is falling apart like crazy and the 5sp is unable to last if you pull any weight in 5th. Gotta be a way to put an Ally in that thing.
The Hialeahians we have here race the trucks- its common knowledge that the Dodge w/Cummins is the fastest and easist to bump up- less than a $G gets you down below 13 secs in the 1/4.

Throw some propane on that baby and let her rip!

That Gear Vendor is really the way to go- its shocking how good its worked out- I'll put one in any truck I want to keep for awhile- that ones my coast to coast truck- its gone over 30k in the last 4 months.

Old 08-21-2003, 01:35 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Many thanks ...

This is geat advise ... keep it coming.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2003, 01:45 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Dang! Every time I read a thread like this, I keep hoping I'll get laid off or fired and have to sell my house. Well, not really, but 6 weeks of vacation time a year would be nice.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 01:55 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Keys

here's is a Keys map to help everyone on this thread ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keys4.gif
Views:	436
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	2734  
Old 08-21-2003, 08:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Hello and welcome from a Floridian (yes, there are a few of us left in the state)!

Roaches aren't the issue, it's palmetto bugs and they're just after water. Although, they are BIG suckers and can fly.

And bugs aren't bugs in the keys. Bugs are Florida lobsters.

Come on down and have a great time. What are you looking for? Snorkeling, SCUBA, sailing, fishing, or what? I think the SCUBA off Key Largo is even better than Cozumel.

I don't go to Key West for more than an afternoon. It's too crazy for me.

Where you go will be somewhat directed by what you want to do.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:06 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

I'm looking for a nice quit spot ... perhaps some night life a few days a week.

Snorkling would be nice mixed in with some sailing.

Just looking to relax and read a book, watch a sunset, make new friends.

Any and all help will be most appreciated.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:35 PM   #21

I hope you like your dog...

The Keys are no place to find women- its bring your own, or watch- I've gotten some down there but its DAMN hard- had to pull out my best lies! "I think you're wonderful, I think I love you" that kinda crap...

The guys I know in the Keys have a saying- you never really lose your girl- you just lose your turn!

KL is your best bet, or KW if you can move fast and get the foreign girls off the cruise ships that are there for the day...

Might be a good ploy to stay at Bluewater at mm13.5. and roll into KW when the ships come in. Pick one up and romance her into staying there with ya on her days off.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:52 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Hope you like your dog...

I do like my dog but not in that way ....

I'll take your advise to heart and either bring my own or look elswhere than Key West.

Somehow I'm getting this image of rhinestone glasses, frizzy bleached hair and clam digger pants ...
Old 08-21-2003, 10:58 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Morning Dew
hes right...if you can get to kw when the cruise ships are in town(every day) look for the foreign chicks. i'm only 21 and i've been going down there for years with my friends. for my 21st birthday i went down there every weekend for 7 weeks straight. duval st. in kw has tons of women but at a high price(6$ per budweiser). the trick is find your lady before duval st. if your on kw for a great,inexpensive time go to schoonars wharf. after it closes at 2 Am. go to p.t.'s across the street. they serve awesome food and well priced booze until 4 a.m. its a good place to get away from the tourist crowd. i've worked on boats since i was 15 and we've done this nearly every time i was in port. just stay around the old marina and you'll find the best local hangouts/prices not to mention food.
2500 Truck with Cummins Diesel Power and a 4.10 rear end.
Morning Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 06:37 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
One of my favorite spots in FL is Marco Island. Sadly, no RV parks or campgrounds, that I am aware of. But, there is a KOA and other spots around Naples.

Another place on the Atlantic side is Nettles Island. Some friends of ours have an RV pad there, with a boat launch.

What's your opinion on Marco, Morning Dew?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 09:17 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Morning Dew
I've got a good friend that fishes out of marco and another that is the manager at the marco west marine. i live about 30 minutes from there. The fishing inshore is unreal. its right in the northern tenthousand islands area. I'm not to fond of visiting because the old rich people from up north have taken the island over. They cater to the snowbirds. too many condos. I prefer chokoluskee or everglades city. But then again most people cant stand those places because of all the "poor locals". Oh well, least the fishings good. i NEVER go to the east coast, except for the lauderdale boat show. I really think florida is two faced. the east coast is more upscale and seems to run at a higher tempo while the west coast, except for naples, is more laid back and underdeveloped. The keys definately fit the west coast style.
2500 Truck with Cummins Diesel Power and a 4.10 rear end.
Morning Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 07:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Two things to keep in mind for Katarina:

1. Be sure she is current on her rabies vaccination. Rabies runs rampant in many parts of Florida.

2. Be sure to keep her on heartworm prevention medicine. We have lots of mosquitoes year-round and heartworms are a real problem.

I can't recommend a particular place to stay. We always stay at a dive resort on Key Largo, because we go to the keys for the diving and have a good relationship with this dive master. We prefer morning dives so we skip the nightlife.

I'm sure others out here will continue to give you advice regarding finding a good place to stay and do the things you want to do.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
East vs West.

Hi Guys...
For what it's worth, from an English point of view , I truely think the E/W divide is totaly true, we loved the East coast, as it was racey, and the west coast for it's steady pace, we all found both sides totaly different, and all have our own pet loves of places, I guess if EVERY town had a A U C E diner, it would be the land of paradise, it's NOT far off that now, we were amazed how well the different places catered for peoples pastimes, of course U guys mostly r Go-Getters..., whilst we tend 2b a little late at taking the plunge...as it were...
Talking LOBSTERS...I never tried the things...My D/D went ape when she saw them swimming in a tank at Wally-World in Kissimmee, then she went bananas when someone HAD 2 tell her they were NOT pets...wanted 2 buy the lot an release them....
Now as we r comin over agn in Jan: '04, to BOSTON, I guess I may try 4 myself the FAMOUS Boston lobster , usualy my other D/D brings me some CHOCOLATE ones...nice but not quite, lol.
She will be over in October for a few days, visiting her Friends, an finding out the eating places 4me no doubt...
Well all have a great weekend...Chris.....
Old 12-12-2003, 10:55 AM   #28
nds
3 Rivet Member

Re: I hope you like your dog...

Quote:
Originally posted by trailertrash
The Keys are no place to find women- its bring your own, or watch- I've gotten some down there but its DAMN hard- had to pull out my best lies! "I think you're wonderful, I think I love you" that kinda crap...

The guys I know in the Keys have a saying- you never really lose your girl- you just lose your turn!

KL is your best bet, or KW if you can move fast and get the foreign girls off the cruise ships that are there for the day...

Might be a good ploy to stay at Bluewater at mm13.5. and roll into KW when the ships come in. Pick one up and romance her into staying there with ya on her days off.
I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 14 years and used to drive down to Key Largo quite a bit on weekends to see a friend of mine that manages the famous Caribbean Club, where the Bogart movie "Key Largo" was filmed.

TT is right, the Keys aren't the place to be hunting women. Those that are available, you'll probably wish weren't.