Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Niagara-on-the-Lake , Ontario
Florida Keys Campsite Recommendation Sought

I am looking for suggestions for a nice campsite in the Florida Keys for next winter from Dec. 1st for 4 months. I have a 30 Classic Airstream. We have a Golden Retriever so the park has to be dog friendly. We would like full hook-ups. A site over looking the water would be appreciated. I look forward to hearing your suggestions.
TedandPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Bluewater Key RV Resort.
(Expensive, but you get what you pay for. Dog friendly.)
Reserve early!
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Geiger Key is very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Have you checked prices in the Keys yet?!

We went many years ago and it was reasonable then, but a couple of years ago we thought to pay another visit but changed our minds once we started to look into prices!

Nice spot though! Good luck in finding something that suits.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Another Bluewater recommendation from us.
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
There are parks in the Keys getting $2500 a month from snowbird.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddledipper View Post
Another Bluewater recommendation from us.

+1 for Bluewater Key but you might need to start saving now as it's not cheap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2722.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	277710
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Keys Camping

Stayed a month at "The Jolly Roger" MM 59 Grassy Key. Stayed on seawall . Natural setting. Easy in/out. New showers. Large laundry room. Two pets permitted.On seawall ,maybe 10' from ocean.Swimming Pool .Full Hook-ups. Snorkeling and swim area.,dock area,Wi-fi.(Did not use) Cable TV.
Very nice people. We would go back. Nice campground and location. Bike ride to town also. Your just north of Marathon Key .
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #9

2017 16' Sport
Bocage Village , Louisiana
Florida Keys

Inexpensive State Park on Marathon Key.
BIGgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
Keys...

Bluewater @ mile marker 14 is real nice, but they have extended their "season". You can expect to pay $160 plus per night. There are several State Parks with Curry Hammock, Bahia Honda and Pennecamp being the most popular. All have no sewer and limit stays to 14 days if you can get in. Reservation window opens up 11 months in advance. We go every Fall and our new go to location is Boyd's in Key West. Location, location location. They do have seasonal/monthly rates, but you should start making plans now. If you are retired military, check out the Naval base.
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Don't forget to try Long Key State Park, one of our favorites. All sites are waterfront. Books up fast though. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Just looked up Long John and it looks really nice. Looks like all the spots are along the beach and the beach is swimmable and walkable. Maybe some traffic noise(?) but nice trees between each spot.

Airbucketlist.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I'm writing from Long Key State Park. The Keys are certainly beautiful in January (and February... and March... and...). Lots of good advice above. As a former Buffalonian and now for many years a Floridian I have to ask "Why spend 4 months in the Keys?" It's beautiful here, certainly. It's also a very small (but long and narrow)"place. Island fever typically sets in after about three weeks. Flight is the only known cure. There is only one road in and one road out of the Florida Keys.

There are lots of areas in Florida that are easier to book in the winter, less expensive and every bit as temperate. Heck, if you live in the Niagara Frontier, even the coldest parts of Florida are a comparative delight in the winter!

Why not move around every two weeks or so? Start near Jacksonville or St. Augustine, meander down the east cost including Daytona, Orlando, the Space Coast, the Treasure Coast (our home) and the Yuck Coast (ok, they don't actually call I it that, but to many Floridians the area from Palm Beach to Miami is no place to camp) then the Keys. Wander back up the west coast including Ft. Myers, Sanibel, Tampa and on up into the panhandle. There are great state parks throughout the state. We especially like the gulf region parks, some have close beach access. By March the panhandle is delightful. For January and February anywhere south of Orlando should do.

There have been lots of posts on Airforums about Florida campgrounds. Google 'AirForums Florida campgrounds' to tap prior posts. If you are going the State Park route, reservations open 11 months to the day from the first day of camping at 8:00 AM. Spots in the Keys (like where I am right now) are taken by 8:00:01. That means you could be on reserveamerica.com tomorrow at 8:00 AM (don't be late!) and perhaps bag two weeks starting December 7, 2017 at Curry Hammock, Bahia Honda, Long Key or John Pennekamp.

Overall, I'd recommend AllStays (Apple App Store or Google Play) which is totally worth the $9.99. I'm using it now to plan our long trip of the year (FL to CO to the UP of MI to Buffalo to MD then home to FL). It includes State, Federal and private campgrounds plus helpful info like where to get propane in Timbuktu and which roads have bridges with clearance lower than an Airstream. ReserveAmerica.com is essential to make reservations at state parks and Google Maps satellite view lets you see just what a specific park looks like (are there any trees?)

Best of luck!
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Kings Kamp in Key Largo, if you can get in. Least expensive in the keys, not fancy, and sold out early every year. Stayed there several years in a row, opted for Baja this year.
senioryakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
I'm writing from Long Key State Park. The Keys are certainly beautiful in January (and February... and March... and...). Lots of good advice above. As a former Buffalonian and now for many years a Floridian I have to ask "Why spend 4 months in the Keys?" It's beautiful here, certainly. It's also a very small (but long and narrow)"place. Island fever typically sets in after about three weeks. Flight is the only known cure. There is only one road in and one road out of the Florida Keys.

There are lots of areas in Florida that are easier to book in the winter, less expensive and every bit as temperate. Heck, if you live in the Niagara Frontier, even the coldest parts of Florida are a comparative delight in the winter!

Why not move around every two weeks or so? Start near Jacksonville or St. Augustine, meander down the east cost including Daytona, Orlando, the Space Coast, the Treasure Coast (our home) and the Yuck Coast (ok, they don't actually call I it that, but to many Floridians the area from Palm Beach to Miami is no place to camp) then the Keys. Wander back up the west coast including Ft. Myers, Sanibel, Tampa and on up into the panhandle. There are great state parks throughout the state. We especially like the gulf region parks, some have close beach access. By March the panhandle is delightful. For January and February anywhere south of Orlando should do.

There have been lots of posts on Airforums about Florida campgrounds. Google 'AirForums Florida campgrounds' to tap prior posts. If you are going the State Park route, reservations open 11 months to the day from the first day of camping at 8:00 AM. Spots in the Keys (like where I am right now) are taken by 8:00:01. That means you could be on reserveamerica.com tomorrow at 8:00 AM (don't be late!) and perhaps bag two weeks starting December 7, 2017 at Curry Hammock, Bahia Honda, Long Key or John Pennekamp.

Overall, I'd recommend AllStays (Apple App Store or Google Play) which is totally worth the $9.99. I'm using it now to plan our long trip of the year (FL to CO to the UP of MI to Buffalo to MD then home to FL). It includes State, Federal and private campgrounds plus helpful info like where to get propane in Timbuktu and which roads have bridges with clearance lower than an Airstream. ReserveAmerica.com is essential to make reservations at state parks and Google Maps satellite view lets you see just what a specific park looks like (are there any trees?)

Best of luck!
Gammadog, I completely agree with your assessment.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Niagara-on-the-Lake , Ontario
Thank you for all the great suggestions. They are very much appreciated. I think the Forum is a fabulous source of knowledge.
TedandPam is offline   Reply With Quote