Old 02-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

North Woods , Illinois
Florida Keys Camping

Looking for some nice camping spots in the Florida Keys. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Old 02-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
All cg's we have stayed at are nice in the keys, just remember no boondocking anywhere near highway or bridges.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

North Woods , Illinois
Thanks! Would you have the names a few that stood out from the others or waterviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
All cg's we have stayed at are nice in the keys, just remember no boondocking anywhere near highway or bridges.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I tried to get there for next month, all Booked.
Bahai Honda is the best. Books eleven months in advance. Kurry Hammock is nice also, but hard to get into. You can drive there and take your chances on getting a open site. Only like 8-10 per day are open but it's a huge shot in the dark. For the prmium sites need to book waaay in advance. Looking for a private park is difficult also unless you know first hand. Also be prepared to spend 40.00 plus a night just about anywhere in the Keys, even the state parks.
I even have a friend who lives in the Keys and he said it's hard to get a place on short notice. And may,June and July is considered short notice even if you start today. You might find one but it will be near the highway and away from the beach.
Good luck in your search.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlow View Post
Thanks! Would you have the names a few that stood out from the others or waterviews?
Bahia Honda was my favorite, doubt if we will go back, things are changing down there and not to our life style.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Bahia Honda was my favorite, doubt if we will go back, things are changing down there and not to our life style.
Too many Rainbows??

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
can't finish anyth

2006 19' International CCD
2010 28' International
Dallas , Texas
The keys were my back yard... Long Key is another one not readily mentioned here as well as the tried & true John Pennekamp. Most of the private camp grounds in the keys, like Fiesta Key KOA, are pretty good too. In all cases, you'll have to plan well in advance if you're planning on staying in the Keys from Oct 15th through Memorial Day Weekend. After that, you'll have an easier time finding space, but it will be VERY hot and extremely humid for anyone who is not native to Florida.

You might want to look at the Miami-Dade county camp ground near the entrance to the keys to book a back up site while you try for a "roll up". You could also book at Flamingo Camp in the Everglades national forest, but there are no hookups.

There's plenty to do in South Florida other than visit the Keys. And the State and County parks in Florida often offer full hook ups.

Good Luck and have a blast!

Javier
(tricked-out techie twinkie)
2007 Ford F-150 SuperCab.
2010 Touareg TDI
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Boyd's is a private campground on the water in Key West. Sites are very pricey, though. The last time I checked the sites started at $98. The private campgrounds are being bought up to build condos so they are getting scarce.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
When are you going ??? I have some reservations I will be canceling for Bahia Honda,
Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Bahia Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlow View Post
Here is a link to a YouTube video of our December 09 trip to the Keys:

YouTube - Ron & Jenn's Adventures in the Keys

Ron

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:53 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

North Woods , Illinois
My brother and his family are going down there the week of 3/22. He's been busy at work and dropped the reservation ball, wife and kids not to happy. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by scf31 View Post
When are you going ??? I have some reservations I will be canceling for Bahia Honda,
Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #12
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
There are spots open at Boyd's and Sunshine Key beginning in April as of 3/10/10 . I reserved a spot at Boyd's for 4/12-4/20 and although I've never stayed there I have seen it from the road many times. It was awfully expensive so I hope it exceeds my expectations.

Breezy Pines has some spots although it is mainly a live-in park with lots for sale.
Curry Hammock is beautiful and remote. Been there by boat. I'd choose it over Bahia Honda, which is also gorgeous but a bit noisy and crammed and does not have sewer hookups.

If you boondock anywhere near town or the road be prepared to be approached by the police and/or freaks of all sorts. We have spent a few nights in the VW camper in the Kmart parking lot on Stock Island and at the end of some mangrove-lined road up on Islamorada without any hassle. This will be our first trip in the Airstream.

Also Sugarloaf KOA had some full-hookup spots for April onward.

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

squrlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Bahia Honda has a few walk-up spots that they do not reserve. So there is a small chance there. Curry Hammock, Long Key and Pennekamp fill up early as there are annual "snowbirds" who have learned to game the system -- essentially they split their reservations and manage to spend a solid three months at the four state parks.

If you are military (active, reserve or retired) there are two Navy MWR campgrounds in Key West. Mostly dry camping although there are a few full hook up sites (tough to get in season).

The commercial campgrounds in the keys range from pretty decent (Sunshine Key) to ordinary (Boyd's). All are pricey -- in season you are looking at $70 to $100 a night.

Do not park for the night outside of a campground as it is against county ordinance -- even if you ask the supermarket manager and he says its "okay", you may well be treated to a 0100 knock on your door. Get a grouchy enough lawman and you may enjoy a nice hefty fine, a trip to the pokey or have your rig towed (if you aren't home). A few folks get away with it from time to time but a lot more get to donate to the Monroe County budget...

The one county campground in the south end of Miami-Dade County, Larry and Penny Thompson Park, generally fills every site for the season with their returning "regulars".

Mike
Old 03-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
can't finish anyth

2006 19' International CCD
2010 28' International
Dallas , Texas
Boyd's, albeit close to KW, is cramped and can be a little on the rowdy side especially if you are there during an event weekend. My favorite of the sites mentioned is actually long key (MM 67).

(tricked-out techie twinkie)
2007 Ford F-150 SuperCab.
2010 Touareg TDI
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote