Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Florida Keys

We took our first trip to the Keys in June and just loved it even though it was hot and muggy! We flew in to meet friends so it wasn't an RV trip but we did see plenty of RV parks during our stay and our wheels started spinnin'! We want to go back in Jan and stay in the parks this time so my question is to those who have been there...Which parks do you like? Thanks!
Randy and Lauri
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I hope you're referring to January 2018, because 2017 will take an almost miracle to find a site in the Keys.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Good to know and figured as much, thanks! We know its tight and have a backup plan to at least be in the area but going through the motions in case we get lucky.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
we stayed at Curry Hammock sp which is in Marathon. Its half way down the keys with about 25 sites. A very nice clean, quiet park. Water and electric hook ups with a dump site. Swimming is fair but that the keys. Lots to do in town. only down side were the "birders" that hang out at the elevated washrooms ALL DAY LONG! Just weird.
Hope this helps
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I have heard that the overseas highway to Key West is narrow and slow, especially with an RV.
  • Is visiting this key better done without our Airstream in tow, perhaps with a 1-2 day stay in a B&B or motel?

• Are reservations a year in advance also required for a hotel stay?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I have heard that the overseas highway to Key West is narrow and slow, especially with an RV.
  • Is visiting this key better done without our Airstream in tow, perhaps with a 1-2 day stay in a B&B or motel?

There were full sized Class A RV/Bus on the highway both ways, not an issue from what I saw.
I did see some B&Bs but not my plan. I want crispy bacon
We stayed at Tranquility Bay in Marathon and I think they were not full but that was June.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:52 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
I'll be making my fifth rv trip to the keys in November and sixth in December. I've stayed in all four state parks in the keys and like them all. Long key has all waterfront sites. Bahia Honda has a few waterfront sites and probably the best beach. Curry hammock may be my favorite, however, because it is quiet and peaceful but fairly close to marathon. I always enjoy eating at Key Fisheries there. Pennecamp has small sites but the glass bottom boat tour and kayaking mangroves makes up for it.
If you cannot get in the state parks, look at jolly Rodger which is a private park that participates in passport America so fairly reasonable.
Another option for part of your trip is Larry and penny Thompson park in Miami near the zoo.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:24 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
We just visited this summer and had no problem towing the Airstream through the keys. We loved Bahia Honda SP and Blue Water RV. Both ends of the wallet are represented there and both are probably hard to come by without reservations made well in advance. Blue Water was a great location for driving the vehicle in and out of Key West to easily see the sights and very well maintained.
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We have had no problem towing in the Keys at all.
Check with Boyd's on Stock Island near Key West. You are packed in there like sardines but you are there! We've had nice stays Grassy Key RV Resort (or something like that) in Islamorada. We are pretty adept at getting reservations at state and federal campgrounds with the exception of the Keys. There, we stay in commercial campgrounds. One of these days we will get it figured out though.
Bruce
Bruce
Old 10-04-2016, 07:26 AM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
The road through the Keys is slow if you are towing a trailer. It is also slow if you are not. So, it really doesn't matter. Most of it is 2 lane, straight and 45 mph. So go for it and enjoy.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I am Retired military so I take advantage of the Navy Family Park facilities in Key West.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
X2 re Blue Water Key. Stayed there in Jan '15. Very nice park located at the 14 mile marker. Easy trip to KW. Although it's sometimes tough to get a left turn out of Blue Water with the almost constant traffic. Best to leave in the morning.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I am Retired military so I take advantage of the Navy Family Park facilities in Key West.
Being retired Army myself, I thought about that one too. Might not get lucky this winter but still plan to try. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The RV park at NAS Key West has never flat out turned anyone away. You may be dry camping but you will be inside the fence in a beautiful place.

I always choose to dry camp at the Sigsbee Point NAS campground as it is staggering, I mean walking, distance to downtown...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
The Navy base at Key West certainly has turned people away. They have a long history of NOT turning anyone out but beginning 2 winters ago things have changed. No reservations so first come ...... Still a great place but beware .

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #16
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

The old, narrow road has long since been modernized. All of the old railroad bridges have been replaced by highway bridges in the last several decades. Hotels, motels, private RV parks are not as filled in prime snowbird season as are the State Parks. Pennecamp Coral Reef, Long Key, Curry Hammock and Bahia Honda fill as soon as the eleven month reservation window opens. You can try, and you might beat, others, for a site.

Keep in mind, Miami to Key West is over 120 miles. If you want to enjoy the Keys, book a site in the Keys and make the Airstream your base. You won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

boca raton , Florida
These are all good suggestions. We live about 2 hours north of key largo and are in the process of moving there. Another good spot is the KOA in Big Pine Key. We also have a 68 overlander.
bababouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Thanks to you all. We should have started planning earlier but its not the end of the world. Can always plan better for next year if we don't get in this year.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
The RV Park on the Navy Base in Key West, aka Sigsby Park, only has about 92 sites with hook ups. They have a larger open area for boondockers next to the Coast Guard Base that's walking distance to Mallory Square. Usually they have a 15 day limit on sites then rotate people into the boondock area. If you really want to stay in Key West, I suppose anything is tolerable for awhile
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote