Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Florida Everglades

Does anyone have any experience camping in the Everglades? The park does not offer hook-ups, so I am looking at the surrounding towns. Because the park is so large, I can't really get a grip on which side is the best to stay on.
Thank you.

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I would go with the west side. Less crowded and nicer area.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Hi Paul,
It's been a while. Maybe overlander63 will chime in on your question. Terry knows the area, and gave me some excellent direction when I was in southern Florida a couple of years back.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There are several campgrounds in and around Everglades City and Chokoloskee, also some BLM areas where they dug borrow pits for road meterials. US 41 is now considered a scenic highway, and there are several BLM areas on and near it.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Paul -

Page and I stayed at the Miami-Everglades campground near Homestead and day-tripped into the Everglades (and down to Key Largo as well). If it were me, I would camp in the no-hookups in the park for a few days - and then go out to a hookups park to recharge, refill, laundry, etc.

Have a great time!

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Thanks, Pat. I was thinking about that but would prefer to stay put. Also, I am always optimistic about being able to live without electicity and inevitably regret it! I see the park campgrounds in Flamingo are closed because of past hurricane damage.

Terry, I found plenty of campgrounds on the Everglades City side. Do you have any first hand experience with any of them over that way? I am looking at CHOKOLOSKEE ISLAND PARK & MARINA. It seems to be in a beautiful area.

Thanks everyone!

WBCCI #2468
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
Old 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
Southern Florida camping

Living here, hopefully I can be of some assistance. Everglades camping is definitly remote from the rest of the world. The Keys are futher south with many sites (might add pricey compared to the rest of the world). Chosculuski (? sp) is to the west and does have some quality sites. As for going in and out of the EG park, you are talking about many miles. Camping on the west coast of south FL, there are more places to camp then the east side. Most central and east camping is north of the Palm Beach area with many private, county and state parks. Enjoy Florida, the best season is now through May!
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Thanks raveson! I plan on coming down in March. I hear the Everglades are unbearable after April, which is when the wet season begins, because of all the insects.

WBCCI #2468
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
Old 10-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #9
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Paul, there are two main RV sites in Everglades Park one just inside the gate that is in the pines and is only about 10 miles from Florida City. The other is at Flamingo at the end of the road on the West side. More open space with boat launch and facilities. Neither have hook-ups. Also look at Collier-Seminole Park. It has hook-ups and is on the West side of the glades near Marco Island. It's also very nice. There are some bare essential sites in between on the Tamiami trail. December to April are the bearable months when the days are cool and the bugs are bearable.
mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i'll be here from dec. until the end of march. it might be a bit out of the way but i'm told the rates are cheaper as it is a county park. by march it starts to open up. you might want to check availability now.
Park and Recreation
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Paul,

I am in the Marco Island/Naples area for the entire winter. Collier-Seminole is a nice cheap place to stay, but has a 2 week limit. Old style camp grouns with fires allowed (they even sell fire wood) with grassy, full hok-up sites.

There are lots of other 'improved' parks like the KOA in Naples, Silver Lakes RV Resort and Paradise Point RV Resort.....both in Naples ans the Outdoor Resorts on Chockaloskie Island just below Everglades City. There are also several state run camp grounds right along US 41 right within the Everglades.

Let me know if you need any help in finding them.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Everglades NP

If anyone goes to Everglades NP, look us up. We are working as volunteers in the Park this winter, from Nov 19 to end of Mar. Cyndi will be working in the Coe Visitor Center and I will be roving and giving tours in the Pine Island area. This is our first time volunteering, looking forward to the experience. We'll be staying in the volunteer housing area with full hookups. Will be looking for Airstreamers during our time there so if anyone visits and stays in the park we'll probably stop by and say hi. If anyone is just visiting the park, drop a line and come see us, we'd love to sit and chat a while.
GreggH
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
This is the only thread my search brought up on the Everglades. Helpful but I need a little more info. We will be returning from Bahia Honda SP in Key West on Wednesday December 3 and want to take Hwy 41 through the Everglades. Can anyone give me a little input on driving time from Key West to Homestead? Trying to decide if we should plan on driving from Key West to Everglades City or maybe hold up in Homestead Wednesday evening and allow a full day (Thursday) to enjoy the swamp.

All comments appreciated.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoaster View Post
This is the only thread my search brought up on the Everglades. Helpful but I need a little more info. We will be returning from Bahia Honda SP in Key West on Wednesday December 3 and want to take Hwy 41 through the Everglades. Can anyone give me a little input on driving time from Key West to Homestead? Trying to decide if we should plan on driving from Key West to Everglades City or maybe hold up in Homestead Wednesday evening and allow a full day (Thursday) to enjoy the swamp.

All comments appreciated.
Roadtoaster,
We drove from Key West with numerous stops on the way to Homestead.
Spent the night at Homestead Wal MART to resupply then proceeded to Collier Seminole SP to explore the glades.Very doable.
pintoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintoman View Post
Roadtoaster,
We drove from Key West with numerous stops on the way to Homestead.
Spent the night at Homestead Wal MART to resupply then proceeded to Collier Seminole SP to explore the glades.Very doable.

Sounds good. Collier Seminole is on the list of possibles.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #16
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
An interesting "swamp" experience can be found along the Tamiami Trail (41) at Shark Valley. It's a paved bike trail loop that extends 7.5 miles into the Everglades to an observation tower. Bike rentals are available or there is a guided tram that you can ride. Gators slide up along side the trail to sun bathe and you can see them up real close. Lotsa birds.

Collier-Seminole is a nice park. Also check out Koreshan State Park in Naples. It was the home to a turn of the century cult that believed we lived inside the earth which was hollow. Interesting buildings and history plus canoe rentals and camp sites.
mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:22 AM   #17
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
It's great area but I thought Everglades city was a big waste of time.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:37 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
FL Keys

Have driven Bahia Honda to Homestead many times. Should take you about two hours with the exception of a Sunday afternoon. Homestead to everglades city is about the same, maybe a little less time. This is the time to enjoy the Keys and the everglades without the bugs! Enjoy!
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoaster View Post
Can anyone give me a little input on driving time from Key West to Homestead? Trying to decide if we should plan on driving from Key West to Everglades City or maybe hold up in Homestead Wednesday evening and allow a full day (Thursday) to enjoy the swamp.
We do this trip each winter. I now go straight to Collier-Seminole from the Keys. We once stayed overnight at the Homestead City campground, an experience we will not repeat.
Nick.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst View Post
We do this trip each winter. I now go straight to Collier-Seminole from the Keys. We once stayed overnight at the Homestead City campground, an experience we will not repeat.
Nick.
I agree,we felt 100% safer in the Wal Mart lot than we would have felt in the Homestead city campground.
pintoman is offline   Reply With Quote