Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Florida Campground Recommendations

Our 10 month search for an AS culminated a couple weeks ago with the purchase of a Classic 31. We were reluctant to make reservations for a January trip to Florida until we located what we wanted, and are finding many parks are full in the Sanibel area. (Our first newbie lesson.) can anyone recommend areas along the Gulf Coast, including nice campgrounds? We would like to start around Tarpon Springs and move South, staying along the Coast. Primarily looking for the warm temps, good food and interesting scenery. Great shelling would be a plus. It's our first trip. We'll be out for about 4 weeks and might experiment with multiple locations.

P.S. I hope it isn't a violation of protocol to piggyback another inquiry, but has anyone ferried their AS across to Martha's Vineyard? There is one campground there that looks interesting. Thanks.

John
Johndews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I recently was able to get s reserved site at Fort Desoto Park near St Pete's.

I haven't been there before, but it comes highly recommended and looks t have good big sites - no sewer connection though.

We will be there for ten days, then I also have reservations near Orlando, and also at the Land Yacht Harbor Airstream Park in Melbourne on the Atlantic coast. Have stayed before several times.)

I would get going and make reservations sap. We used to go to Florida without reservations but i recent years have found that is not a good idea!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Salt Springs Rec Area inside the Ocala National Forest, full hookups, nice park, clean, friendly camp hosts and very cost effective.

I lived in Clearwater and St. Pete, I still don't understand how Fort Desucko is so highly recommended, but it's average compared to much of the other offerings of Florida. Maybe I just have high standards.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Closest sp to Sanibel that might have space is Koreshan sp, we had to wait last year until March before the snowbirds thinned out Forget SP's in FL in winter without reservations booked at least 6 mo in advance. Keys fill up even faster.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
We're staying at Anastasia and Topsail SPs in February. Learned, to our chagrin, that Keys fill up literally milliseconds after reservation window opens! Oh well, we'll "suffer" our away through a month in the northern part of the state.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thanks so much for the replies. We are reserved at Ft. Desoto for 10 days.
Johndews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndews View Post
Thanks so much for the replies. We are reserved at Ft. Desoto for 10 days.
Hope you enjoy it ...... and I hope we do! I'm getting a bit concerned after reading "Boldadventure's" comment!

We have not been there before,cbut friends who had visited several time spoke well of it!

In any event, at least we have a spot and also if nothing else, it seems a decent location for exploring that part of Florida!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
We have camped at Ft. Desoto and think its great. We are headed back this Jan for 6 nights. We reserved a waterfront campsite, we can kayak right from our site. Its a bit pricey vs state parks but we think it's worth it.
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
In Sarasota, Fl there is Sarasota Sunny South, located just 4 miles from Siesta Key Beach off SR #41 (Tamiami Trail). It's a clean we'll run place located near everything. It's probable already booked for most of the upcoming season but it's worth a phone call.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Salt Springs Rec Area inside the Ocala National Forest, full hookups, nice park, clean, friendly camp hosts and very cost effective.

I lived in Clearwater and St. Pete, I still don't understand how Fort Desucko is so highly recommended, but it's average compared to much of the other offerings of Florida. Maybe I just have high standards.
If I understand the NPS reservation schedule, they take RV site reservations only 30 days in advance. I'm looking at them today and starting on 10/15/15, it's Walkup. Prior to that it's Reserved or Available.

With the Senior Pass it's very affordable at $12 plus electric, but it's difficult to make plans for winter
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Ft deSoto is one of our favorite campgrounds. We always get a site on the water and can leave our kayaks right at our site ready to go. Even the non water sites are nice too. There is great biking right outside the campground by the beaches too. Sites have varying amounts of foliage in between - some are great but most are pretty good. No amenities which doesn't bother us as we're not looking for them.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Hope you enjoy it ...... and I hope we do! I'm getting a bit concerned after reading "Boldadventure's" comment!

We have not been there before,cbut friends who had visited several time spoke well of it!

In any event, at least we have a spot and also if nothing else, it seems a decent location for exploring that part of Florida!

Brian

Don't worry too much about Bold's comment...he can be acerbic at times. 😉
Old 09-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #13
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Don't worry too much about Bold's comment...he can be acerbic at times. ��
I don't think it's a nice park.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I don't think it's a nice park.

I think "Fort Desucko" MAY have given that away.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
We found Fort Desoto to be a nice park. We enjoyed a site 2 years ago on the water. It was a large site and the vegetation between sites is thick enough to some provide privacy. The view of the water from our site was beautiful. I can see where kayakers would love it.

It would be nice if the sites had sewer connections.. Dealing with the blue boy can be a pain for long stays. The biggest issue we had with the park is the huge population of raccoons. They fill the trees in the evening watching you eat and hoping for scraps. They break into the public garbage cans in the camping area during the night and are noisy. Be careful leaving food unattended in your camping area and keep the garbage inside until you take it to the campground collection receptacles.

It wasn't the best park we've stayed in but it was certainly above average for a public park. I would definitely return if I could get reservations.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
We also enjoyed Fort DeSoto Park, great sunsets and we enjoyed watching dolphins, sharks and almost everything else you can imagine swim by! Another great park with a lot of activities is Sun-n-Fun in Sarasota. A very large park - not real large sites but they will do. There is so much to do around Sarasota.

Laura & Tom
Old 09-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Google Earth View

I think the space is a little tight but it's near the water, looks scenic, I wouldn't mind spending several days there.

[On a side note, YAY! Post #1000 ]

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote