Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Florida Airstreaming

Hi,

We are relatively newbies so if I've posted this to the wrong forum I apologize, and would appreciate being corrected so I can learn.

My wife and I live in Wellington, FL and have just purchased our first Airstream, a 28' International. The only towing I have done so far was the tow to our home, about a 4 hour drive.

We are wanting to take a few short trips in Florida just to get the feel of hitching, unhitching, hookup, etc. Of course, it would be helpful if the places we visit are also nice places to stay. Since we are in south Florida we were trying located places north around central Florida. The length of the trip isn't as important as the experience once we arrive.

Thank you for your help.

John Geisen
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am from GA,but we have camped around the West Coast of Flordia quite a bit. Great parks to visit!
If you want to try one not too far, Ft. Desoto in Pinellas County is very nice, in facet I am going there Dec 21 for 5 days.
Also a bit further up the West Coat Manatee and Blue Springs are scenic and fun.
On your coast there are many places to go, try the Florida State Parks web site for ideas, and then just venture on down the road. You will often have a great time in the most unexpected places.
We only reserve a space when it is a holiday other wise we just roll on and consult a campground guide like Woodall's.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Hello John;
Welcome to the forums. You will find this to be a good site to visit because there is a wealth of information and most forum members are glad to share it. I would think Florida has a large amount of camping sites that you can visit. I would google Florida State Parks and you should be able to locate one that suits you. There is an Airstream R.V. park in Florida but I am not sure where it is in relation to you. This can be located on the Airstream website.
Enjoy that new trailer and happy travelling.

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105

AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It is really hard to find a Bad Fl. State Park. You may have to look above Tampa for a site this time of year as the snow birds book early.

Ft. DeSoto is a great county park. Clearwater area reservations required.

If you want to start at the top how about coming to the Can Opener at Top Sail State Park the second weekend in Jan. That is an all Airstream rally with people from all over the east coast.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...9-a-44317.html

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
John:

We're in Winter Park and for a first trip I'd recommend Ft. Wilderness at Disney, even if you don't have kids. It's clean, fun, has full hookups (water, sewer, cable, internet if you want it, etc.) and is the classic "roughing it easy" campground. We go every few months even though it's just down the road - usually we don't even bother going into the attractions we just like hanging out in the campground so well. Plus you can rent a golf cart to get around.

If you're looking for something more natural and less pre-packaged (in the Disney sense) then I'd just suggest any number of the parks that have full hookups (esp. sewer) - on your first few trips it's easier to set everything up and just sit tight for a few days rather than having to tow the trailer to a dump station and all that.

If you're into the beach and want something more rustic, we've gone to Periwinkle Park on Sanibel Island a number of times - hookups available and about a 1/2 mile from the beach. Nice place to just go chill out and do as little as possible.

Have fun!

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Matter of fact, my avatar is a photo of our setup at Sanibel ...

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport FB
Bonita Springs , Florida
Hey John,

Welcome to airstreaming! We too are newbies with a Sport 22. We are down in Bonita Springs, FL, We have been to Collier Seminole State Park with our airstream and it was really great. We have also done the KOA in Kissimmee (near Disney) and are doing a two week trip in Feb first week at the KOA to go to Disney, and then on up to Manatee Springs State Park near Ocala.

Have fun!
Tony
TCHURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
One of my favorite Florida parks is Rainbow River State Park. Nice sites and the river is great for tubing and kayaking. There is also a wonderful swimming hole near the park if the weather is nice. Overall, I've been really impressed with the Florida parks. Safe travels!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #9

Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHURCH
Hey John,

Welcome to airstreaming! We too are newbies with a Sport 22. We are down in Bonita Springs, FL, We have been to Collier Seminole State Park with our airstream and it was really great. We have also done the KOA in Kissimmee (near Disney) and are doing a two week trip in Feb first week at the KOA to go to Disney, and then on up to Manatee Springs State Park near Ocala.

Have fun!
Tony
Hi,
Yours is one of the most recent posts soI thought I would say hello.
I just purchased a 19'Bambi and plan to use it in parks around S. Florida and central Florida.
I will leave a post or two after we visit some places.
Will check in here from time to time for updates.
Fred & Maureen
Fred Perry is offline   Reply With Quote