Old 11-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Flies!

I've arrived at a nice state park campground that is great except for a massive amount of flies. I've probably killed about 200 so far and my curtains are beginning to get stained with blood. Anyone know of a better method to deal with this? Should I just buy one of those fly strip things?....a venus fly trap plant perhaps?

Thanks.

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
10 Bullfrogs otta do it!
I'd get a couple of fly strips.

Off subject a little bit, but I got some great advice from a fellow camper when the orange Chinese Beetles were swarming us last month.
Reverse wrap duct tape around your hand and collect them up. Flies are too fast for this though, I think.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Hang up some ziplock baggies partially filled with water and the flies will all leave the area. Honest - this really works! There's an elusive theory that due to the nature of flies eyes, the refracted light from these bags confuses the flies and they skedaddle. Use this method outside with multiple bags in the sunlight for an area defense and hang the bags so that they hang square rather than bunched up.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Use the business end of a hand vac for flies, gnats, mosquitoes, etc., that get inside.

The baggies with water sound like a great idea, Crusty.

Maggie
Old 11-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I like those battery operated bug killers that look like a tennis racquet
Whack, whack, whack--ztt, ztt, ztt
Dead as doornails...
Old 11-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Water filled baggies are a bust...you see them in Mexico - with lots of flies still hanging around...

I tried it on our patio at home - the flies loved em', and still hung around to 'bug' us!

There must be something else going on with those baggies that people claim do the job - I just haven't seen it yet...

Ray
Old 11-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
There is that bug killer outdoor yard fogger that worked for me in Montana and I used a fly strip in the trailer too to reduce the amount of blood splatter on the walls and curtains. The buzzing once they are stuck drives you crazy though...
Old 11-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
For the past two years, mostly in late summer and early fall, we have been invaded by flies in our house. They congregate on certain windows, usually on the west side. This has never happened to us before. At altitude and in dry climates, there are usually many fewer bugs than other places, so we are perplexed. I have had to use bug spray despite the dangers of using organophosphates, so I use it sparingly so we don't breathe it as much (they make it smell like perfume).

We have neighbors who have had the same problem and also have never seen anything like this. Over a period of a week, sometimes, we clean up hundreds of them. The combination of insecticide and cold weather is helping. We did not have this problem while using the trailer all over the west and north country this year.

Smoky, you are not alone. I don't know where you are camped and whether this is something happening around where we live (are you camped in western Colorado?), or other places.

I'd not like to use bug bombs near food, dining area, or bedroom, which pretty much eliminates a trailer. Fly paper—those sticky things that hang from the ceiling—work very well, but are gross to look at, in a trailer you may walk into it, and not so common to find, though I think some hardware stores still carry them. Maybe another campground is the place to be. But, once the flies produce eggs, it takes a while for the infestation to end. The sheer number of flies is amazing.

Has something changed? Are flies evolving in some way to produce more eggs? Is it climate change?

Do we have to chase the cows and chickens out of the house?

Is this just a problem where we live, or are others having it at home or in their trailers?

Gene
Old 11-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Flies? Really? We don't have trouble with flies at all but this is Eastern Washington and we do get pretty cold winters which might kill them off. Of course Colorado must be colder than we are.

We do deal with yellow jackets during some summers but other than that, it is relatively bug free around here. Not many creepy crawlers to deal with. No Hurricanes either, or tornados, hail storms, or earthquakes to mention (in Eastern Washington). A volcano every couple of hundred years shakes things up but no place is perfect.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Homemade Fly Traps
Cut a plastic 2-litres soda bottle 1/4 down from the top. Invert top portion into bottom portion. Punch 4 holes at top, tie string (twine) to hold both portions together and hang. Add hamburger or fly bait (I filled the trap with 1 inch of sugar water and added a piece of ham.). Most flies are too stupid to find their way out.
Homemade Fly Trap
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
Mix ingredients to make fly bait. Cut a plastic 2 liter soda bottle 1/4 down from the top. Invert top portion into bottom portion. Punch 4 holes at top, tie string (twine) to hold both portions together and hang. Add fly bait and hang at your barn. Dispose of entire container when full of flies. (as you probably know, the longer this hangs the worse it smells and the more flies that it attracts.)
Old 11-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
There is quite a controversy about the water filled baggies but no one to this day has performed a valid test to answer the question. All that I know about it for certain is that there's an outdoor BBQ joint down the road from me that used to have lots of flies until they put up some of those bags. You still see some but not like it was before, so I'm a believer.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
I've arrived at a nice state park campground that is great except for a massive amount of flies. I've probably killed about 200 so far and my curtains are beginning to get stained with blood. Anyone know of a better method to deal with this? Should I just buy one of those fly strip things?....a venus fly trap plant perhaps?

Thanks.

I was hoping someone else would ask, but now I will.

Where is this place that is fly infested this time of year?

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frog-catching-a-fly.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	115123  
Old 11-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
We have found most parks that don't put signage or monitor dog owners seem to have more, of a 100 walking pets only one or two will have baggies to clean up. Flies need a source of food, in Canada we were the source(black fly). In Ohio we found cg's that didn't do regular dumpster emptying. They can claim lack of funds all they want but if they can generate that much garbage they should have money to get rid of it.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I was hoping someone else would ask, but now I will.

Where is this place that is fly infested this time of year?

Ken
Eastern New Mexico...near Clovis.

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote