Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
FL to CA travel Winter time.

Well, we are trying to decide on making a trip to LA, CA from the Tampa, FL area this Winter. Has anyone done it before and which route did you take. I think the most Southern route would be the best? When to leave and when to return? No schedule time, is open.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have gotten on I10 and taken it all the way, side trips to see what you want, there is plenty along the way. Nice to stay in warm weather this time of year.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I-10 ... hit the big cities off rush hour and stop before the setting sun is overly obnoxious.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

That sounds like so much fun

" there is plenty along the way. "

It would take me forever to make that trip

The Gulf Coast, New Orleans. Cajun Country, Austin, The Desert, Grand Canyon, Quartszite….just to name a few. Add side trips into the mix? WOW!

The sights, the food, the music….what a great trip!!!!!!!!!
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We went to the WBCCI LA unit Rose Bowl Parade Rally last year and it was a blast! Not sure if there are any spaces left but if you can leave on Christmas Day latest you could make it out there in time. We did Christmas gifts and brunch with the family and left right after that.

We'll be out there this winter too; Death Valley, Mojave Desert, San Diego and up the coast and over to Lake Tahoe.

We like Mission Bay RV in San Diego - great location, doing state parks up the coast. Death Valley now has some sites that are elec and water but they might be booked already. I have to cancel some days there in early January and if you want them pm me. ( elec and water site)

Well look for you on the road ��
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We just made the trip from AZ to AL mostly on I10. It was a rough trip. There are parts of I10 in TX and LA that are horrendous.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The Atchafalaya viaduct on I10 is pretty worn with the high spots at the section junctions. On my rig, a steady speed will start the trailer oscillating in a self-reinforcing fugoid cycle that is at best uncomfortable and, at worst, potentially damaging. The only way I have found to break the cycle is to be constantly accelerating or decelerating -- speed up to 55, slow to 45, speed up... Thrills the traffic behind you no end.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I-10 is your only practical route (or if you really have unlimited time, you can follow some of the smaller US highways that parallel it.) But the I-10 corridor is not entirely snow or ice free at this time of the year (especially in January & February) so keep an eye on the weather and be prepared to hunker down for a day or two if you hit some bad weather.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I-10 is the most southerly continuous route. You could take in Big Bend Ntl. Park on the way. I-40 could work but it sure can get rough weather in the winter months in the mountain regions.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
FL to CA

Several recommendations. On a trip this year we stayed a week at Camp Gulf in Destin (which may be too close to you), and boondocked at the Atchafalaya Rest Area....pretty nice accommodations and lots of others doing the same, felt safe. Fort Stockton RV Park is a good stop between San Antonio and El Paso, not fancy, but good for a night.If you have time, you might swing up to Albuquerque, we recently stayed at Enchanted trails on I-40 for the Balloon Fiesta. And if you go to Albuquerque, Santa Fe in just an hour +/- up the road. I might suggest our favorite there, the Trailer Ranch. In Tucson, Far Horizons on the southeast side of town. And while expensive, Chula Vista RV Park & Resort in San Diego. These last two are really packed with snowbirds, so pre-planning a must. Enjoy!
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
The Atchafalaya viaduct on I10 is pretty worn with the high spots at the section junctions. On my rig, a steady speed will start the trailer oscillating in a self-reinforcing fugoid cycle that is at best uncomfortable and, at worst, potentially damaging.
Best to avoid the problem altogether. Between New Orleans and Lafayette, take US 90. Get back on I-10 at Lafayette.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
We did this trip eastbound in late March, 2014 and westbound last January. I-10 except for the Florida panhandle where we went along the coast. The weather was fine, somewhat on the cool side but pleasant through to New Mexico where it seemed to warm up. Keep an eye on the forecast as winter storms can pass through Texas as happened last winter a week or two before we went through. There are many fine state parks all along the way most of which were not crowded in January.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
We traveled out west this past summer/fall and traveled I-10 from Phoenix to New Orleans. Listed below are several highlights from our travels on I-10:
French Quarter RV Resort, a bit pricey even with Good Sam discount, but just a few blocks from Bourbon Street
Galveston Island RV Resort...new RV park on the far west end of the island across the street from the beach
San Antonio/Alamo KOA...very nice campground close to the Alamo and the River Walk and just a few blocks off I-10
Marathon Motel and Campground, Marathon, TX...less than 60 miles south of Ft Stockton and 45 miles north of Big Bend National Park
Catalina State Park, Tucson, AZ...this was a very pleasant surprise in many ways. It sits at the foot of the Santa Catalina Mountains, very remote yet the entrance is less than a mile from a shopping area with restaurants and a Walmart. The camp sites have full hook-ups including sewer and the bathhouse was very clean. Don't miss the western section of the Saguaro National Park entering the southern route across West Gates Pass Rd.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Shoot, here we live close to San Antonio, and didn't mention our favorite in SA. We periodically take the AS into the city for the weekend (about 60 miles away), and stay at Travelers World Carefree RV Resort. On the southside, where NO-ONE would have stayed a decade ago. Now, adjacent to the up & coming areas, close to top restaurants, and on the Mission Reach portion of the San Antonio River. Great walking on paved trails.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
Joshua Tree National Park is worth seeing if you go thru Palm Springs.
PeterKV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
I -8 from San Diego is an interesting alternative to I -10
artwester is offline   Reply With Quote