Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
FL Keys Reservation Question

I have been online each morning at 0800 EST attempting to reserve a camp site in one of the state campgrounds in the Keys for 11 months out. I have been doing this each morning since Feb. 1 with no success. Available sites appear to book in less than 1 second when 0800 EST arrives. I am not particular about a date other than 7 days in Jan - Feb 2014.

Typically my wife is on her laptop and I on mine, cocked and ready to push the "Book This Site" button at 0800. A push of the button and we are either too early or too late to book a site.

The telephone system appears to be even more hopeless. Reserve America does not accept phone calls until 0800 EST. By the time they answer it is too late, the sites are booked.

Is this an electronic camp site lottery because of the extreme demand for winter sites in the Keys?

Is there a technique to this I am failing to understand?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
You are doing everything right, it is just a matter of milliseconds. My wife and I did exactly what you are doing and after a week of trying, finally got our site.

The four parks with camping are extremely popular. There is a hard core contingent that are so adept at the 0800 routine (often recruiting dozens of friends/family to be online trying) that they can spend the whole winter in the keys by doing the "two week shuffle" south and then back north.

Every time you sit down at the computer, check the reserve America website. Lots of folks book a full fourteen days and then go back later for their "one time only" change of dates. I've seen entire weeks pop up suddenly.

Good luck,

Mike

Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
Troutstream

2006 28' International CCD
Centerville , Ohio
I am going through the same issue right now. It is next to impossible to book a site no matter how vigilant you are with your planning. The best advice is to check periodically for cancellations. If you are flexible, you will get in. We booked a couple nights at John Pennekamp between Christmas and New Years and were shut out of Bahia Honda, Curry Hammock and Long Key. We hedged our bet and booked at Boyd's but will be trying between now and then to grt into the state parks. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
keys reservation

We have found 2:00 am to be our "lucky" time...

We struck gold one January (two years ago), snagging 4 days over July 4th.....somebody had just cancelled and I had one of those sleepless nights.. This year got my husband got three nights for June, when he couldn't sleep back in October.

Just a tip..John Pennekamp is not worth a sleepless night...now, Bahia Honda, that's a different story!!!

Good Luck!!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Troutstream

2006 28' International CCD
Centerville , Ohio
I agree about Pennekamp. It is the least desirable of the four. However, I am going anyway.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Thank you everyone. We'll just keep punching the button each morning. I'll start watching for cancelations if we get past the window for a Feb. 2014 reservation.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Stone Mountain , Georgia
We have camped down there many, many times. It is always the luck of the draw. I would follow TroutD's advice and book somewhere else for the backup. One thing you can do also is that when you are there, each morning (you have to also get up early and be at Bahia Honda) they will give away cancellations. One year we were at the private campground close by and went to try it out. First day, nothing. Second day we got a site and moved for the rest of our week.

Good luck!
Towed by 2006 Dodge Dakota 8 cyl.
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
KAYAKAMPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Naples , Florida
Notwithstanding all the advice above ( all valid, BTW ) the later months in Florida provide fine camping as well.
Don't forget your DEET spray. A wonderful invention. It really works.