Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Fist trip in the Safari, destination Ft. Mosquito

Well, after owning it a few weeks we finally got our frist shake down trip out of the way this weekend.

Off to Ft Mosquito it is.

Also known as Ft Stevens on the north Oregon coast. It is a nice park, lots of trails to hike and ride but the mosquitos are always really bad.

Since it was our first trip in it a number of issues decided to surface. Upon arriving we found out one of the clips that hold the upper arm of the awning was broken off. Thankfully a spare was on hand, compliments of the previous owners, my inlaws.

Next, upon hooking up to the park water supply i found out the hose bib had a big crack in it spraying water all over. Of course since it was leaking there the water system wouldnt pressurize properly to use the water pump on the trailer. A trip to the hardware to get the parts on Sat was in order. They had them and all was good. Until we got back and opened one of the pieces to find that the 1" connector pipe was oval on one end. Back to Seaside i went. Arrive with 2 mins to spare until closing time.

Once back in camp got everything hooked back up and working great. No leaks spraying outside of the trailer, holding woter well. system is pressurized.

Then i see it.....a water leak coming from under the bathroom. Upon inspection inside the trailer it seems that there was a shutoff valve attached to the copper pipe leading to the toilet at one point by someone. Water was going all over at the valve. The seal was shot. Got that shut off at the valve and was able to use the shower and sinks without a problem.

Thankfully there wasnt anything else after that. My inlaws felt awful about all of it. lol. None of these problems ever surfaced while they owned the trailer.

For those of you who met them at the Beverly Beach rally here is a picture of what they decided to go with. They wanted something a tad more vintange than the Safari....

It is a 1937 Piece Arrow Travel lodge. Built from the ground up. They recieved it as just a old shell. It has a fully wood enterior, is self contained and all the modern appliances one could want.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:27 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Sounds like quite the adventure Van. If I found out my Trade Wind wasnt leaking somewhere I would loose sleep wondering what was going on . Sounds like you had an eventful first outing. Reminds me of the story that ends: 'Other than that miss Lincoln, how did you like the play?'

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote