Old 04-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2012 19' International
Salem , Oregon
Thanks for all the nice thoughts everyone, much appreciated. Just so I'm clear and no one is offended - I have nothing against California! Its one the prettiest places I've ever been. It just happened to be where I was and the dumb drivers are everywhere and a metro area is what a metro area is. Being in the military for 22 years, I've lived in many a giant city and the bad drivers and roads could have easily been in DC, Dallas, Philly, etc. I was just relaying the location and the events.

To answer a few questions, I live in Oregon so our local AS dealer is doing the repairs and my insurance is covering it based on my collision in the policy and I will not be listed at fault but I suspect the rates will go up next go round but cheaper than $6000. I considered letting it be a first scar but with it being brand new and how much I'm paying for it, I decided I wanted it fixed.

Again, thanks everyone! Also, someone mentioned about not being as paranoid about damaging it and that is a little true - with such a long trip under my belt in multiple types of weather and terrain and a small accident - I have learned tons!

AirChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Bummer, but boo-boos happen.

Take a deep breath, and keep on traveling.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sorry to hear of your problem. If it makes you feel any better, my first new car (1963) had the paint bombarded by gravel when a county gravel truck going the other way did not turn off the spreader as he went by. Insurance covered a new paint job, but it was not the same as the original.

I doubt your insurance company cares to investigate, but I wonder if there were any cameras at the construction site to identify the truck, or whether he was stopped for speeding nearby? Of course, that doesn't prove it was him, but narrows it down and if you can identify anything from the truck (company name, color, size, etc.) it might make it possible to find him.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Sorry about your damaged trailer.

Speeding truck probably accumulates scuffs with little or no responsibility.

I think the quality of the construction zones at least here in CA are a big contributory factor. It sure doesn't appear there is any minimum standard for lane width, or lane consistency (or if there is its not followed). Cones are often randomly placed in disarray , rough surfaces, concrete barriers laid out in sloppy manner. Throw in crazy drivers and you feel lucky to get through it without damage.

If there is any chance the construction zone itself contributed in your instance, I'd sure attempt to locate the responsible party and complain.

To me this is a downside of owing a 102 inch widebody, especially one as pretty as the Airstream.

tpi is offline   Reply With Quote