Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Palm Harbor , Florida
First trip with the airstream.

We plan to leave Tampa Bay in a few weeks for the Albuquerque area. We would like to see some of the Ozarks on the way. Any route suggestions as well as sites along the way would be appreciated.
DML Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

It kinda depends on your tastes.

What kind of outdoor activities, your interests, taste in food and music. If you're going thru the Ozarks and like country music, Branson would be a thought.

Perhaps a different route on the way home. Although I 10 is supposed to a nightmare in some spots, Austin, Texas has all kinds of music. Louisiana for some Cajun food and music.

From my experience Google maps directions can take you thru residential areas to save you an 1/8th of a mile. BUT, I like to check my routes on Google Earth. Running the cursor over your highways can tell you elevations, to avoid major hills.

If you are going as far as Albuquerque, I would suggest ANYWHERE, in Utah. Anywhere but the Moki Dugway which is so steep and curvy that they used to not let RVs on it.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another 23 in the group.

Run up to the Blue Ridge parkway for the view. Head through Kentucky and consider a stop at the old Kentucky home, Corvette Museum/factory and into Memphis. The trip into Northern Arkansas or Southern Missouri offers several route options. In any case, hit as many stops as you have time to include. Rogers, Beaver Lake, Eureka Springs, HW 7.....

From there West - run through Northern Oklahoma, visit the CowBoy Hall of Fame in OKC, the Memorial, and try out Hanks RV park in Woodward OK (no attendant, pick a spot and pay in the morning at the laundry office).

Head out the OK panhandle and visit Angel Fire and Taos before dropping down to your destination.

Look for wine along the way and have fun, but travel safe. Slow and steady. . Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
First, what time frame do you have? Do you need to be back a certain time?
Then, consider the season...hot.
If it were me, I'd avoid the straight line including I-10 west, as much as I'd like to graze on Texas BBQ.
Yes, a route more northerly makes sense.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:46 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Going home - Carlsbad Caverns, Austin, Texas Hill Country, a bit of New Orleans Jaz, and roll it slowly on back to the farm.

COE parks can save a buck or two. Helps if you stop in at a National Park and get an America the Beautiful pass or similar. Old age makes this a real winner.

There is a where to stay in Arkansas thread that may help if you search for it.

Mid America weather is not too nice recently, so check ahead. What is not accessible heading West can be your go to solution going East.

Travel safe. Get a good night's sleep. Do not let your schedule put you in an unsafe situation. Back off and reset the schedule. Luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
If your route takes you through Texas, check out our State Parks at https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/
My favorite is Inks Lake, northwest of Austin.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Also check specific areas/campgrounds for flooding. Also check highway DOT sites for road closures. Interstate I-29 is closed between Kansas City and Omaha. (Route I-29 north to St. Joseph, MO, then to US 36 west to Hiawatha KS then north on US 75 to Omaha/I-80. Or I-35 to Des Moines IA to I-80.)

I live in Kansas City. Many campgrounds in eastern Kansas and western Missouri are closed due to flooding. Oklahoma in the Tulsa area also has flooding.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Suggest a visit to Sante Fe while in New Mexico.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I would limit my I-75 miles. Life is just too short for that foolishness.

We often go from Talahassee up to Eufala, Ala and stop over night so we can go to the Cajun café on the main street corner, at the statue. Then we wander up I-65 to Birmingham and take a road over to Memphis. That puts you in line for Branson.

We then up the MO side of the river to St Louis. I just like to avoid Atlanta. Been driving through there since the 70s I'm tired of Atlanta.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:49 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville is stellar. Branson has the Titanic Museum. Kansas City has the WW1 Museum and also the Power & Light District.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML Andrews View Post
We plan to leave Tampa Bay in a few weeks for the Albuquerque area. We would like to see some of the Ozarks on the way. Any route suggestions as well as sites along the way would be appreciated.
My only contribution is to check flooding conditions that may exist in AR, which may impact OK as well.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #12
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Be sure to check out the zoo and the National Museum of Nuclear Science. The Albuquerque KOA is a good location for exploring, and the local Airstream dealer is two blocks away.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #13

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Palm Harbor , Florida
1st trip to Albuquerque

Sincere thx to all for the responses and suggestions. Everything I’ve read regarding air streamers is obviously on spot. After discussing with my boss🙄 she feels it may be too hot this time of the year. Therefore we have decided to head north to Michigan and on to Canada. She has family there and we can visit as well as explore
DML Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote