Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
First trip was to Jackson Center

Well I finally used my Airstream for what it was intended for. I wanted my first trip to be memorable and as the circumstances worked out, I made the first trip to the place where it has not been since 1977. The WDCU unit of WBCCI was caravaning from New York to the International Rally in Madison WI. On their way they stopped in Jackson Center for the night. I figured that it was a great opportunity to meet some people in person that I have only met thru the web. What a great trip! Jackson Center is only about 1-1/2 from Cincinnati and I arrived around 1:00. Frank was already in the parking lot along with one other trailer and I set up camp. Fifteen minutes later a bunch of vintage trailers pulled in. What a site. We all took the plant tour at 2:00. It was pretty cool to see the assembly line where my trailer was put together the first time. I have spent 2 years trying to get it back to working order. I kept wishing I had a shopping cart that I could fill up, because at this point my trailer is an aluminum tent. The interior is completely stripped out with the exception of a blowup mattress, pillow and sleeping bag. After the tour we all spent a bunch of money in the company store. As I was looking around I picked up a copy of Wanderlust and a woman behind me said "Check out page 9." Sure enough her family was on page 9. Another cool thing was that "Pee Wee" was on the plant tour with us. Dale "Pee Wee" Schwamborn as most know, was related to Wally and his mother was instrumental to forming the WBCCI. He was a wealth of information. As we were in the company store, the president and CEO of Airstream, Bob Wheeler, came over from across the street to meet up with this group. After we were done in the store we all went back outside and moved our trailers onto the grass and under some trees at the back of the Airstream property. We had a Pizza party and sat around and talked about Airstreams and our experiences that day. I would like to thank Rob, Frank and all the members of the WDCU for a wonderful evening. What a great group of people. My trailer was completely empty and everyone opened up their "working" trailers to me and offered me the use of their trailers. It was a great first trip. I am convinced that my 31' Airstream trailer pulled better than our 12' pop-up trialer. Next camping trip I should have the interior wrapped up, or at least have some beds and a working bathroom. By the way, out of 14+ trailers, my 77' Sovereign was the newest trailer in the group.

Eric
Old 07-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Pretty cool, Eric. From another WDCU member who wishes she could have been there, I'm glad you could the party and felt at home with the WDCU. That's what it is all about.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Erock
there are really nice people that get together here in Ohio TOO. Just keep watching this forum. We have gotten together for several informal gettogethers already this yr and I am sure there are more to come.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Eric,

It was nice that you could join us at the factory... We hope to see you again, down the road.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Rivet Jackson Center

We're at Jackson Center right now. Arrived around midnight yesterday after driving straight through from Kansas City. The Terra Port was about half full, but when we woke up, there was only 6 Airstreams left. We took the factory tour yesterday. It was interesting to see the various stages of production. The tour guide had been with Airstream for nearly 51 years, and has owned 4 Airstreams so he was a wealth of information, especially about the history of the company. We asked why Wally Byum's gold colored trailer had been relegated to the back lot behind a chain link/barbed wire fence. He said they didn't display it because of its condition and seemed as disappointed as we were at its state of deterioration, and the fact that it wasn't on display out front with the rest of the vintage trailers.

According to him, due to the economy, they have laid off 50% of their staff and are now at 250 employees, and went from 45 trailers per week down to 14. From now on, they won't be producing anything longer than 30 ft. There were approx. 100 Sprinter 3500 shells in the parking lot awaiting their transformation into Interstates.

The Terra Port is nice. We met the AS director of marketing. He's camped next to us in a 34 footer. During our conversation it became very apparent that he's well aware of Airforums. He brought it up during a discussion about my new tires. It seems they are paying attention.

We're leaving sometime later today. When we asked what time check out was, the reply was "whenever you feel like it", and to "be sure to stop by for coffee before you leave".
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Jackson Center and first major trip

We found Jackson Center to be everything one could want in a stop for a MH born there 10 years ago. Dedicated and knowledgeable personnel, parts, and if you pick the third Sunday of the month the town museum is even open. They had wifi at JC, saved us driving to Indiana, we had planned a factory tour at the Workhorse plant in Indiana, it was cancelled due to their closing down production lines.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We were there in June and really enjoyed our overnight stay and the factory tour.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote