Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I'm not sure about other Arizonans' comments about wild animals and insects. We camp outdoors alot in both our Airstream and on our boat and have never had problems with these. You do have to respect the outdoors and use a little common sense, but we had more problems with mosquitos at Yellowstone than with anything in Arizona. There have been a couple of incidents of wild animals with rabies (mountain lion attacks, etc.), but these are extremely rare and just one of the hazards of camping outdoors. These are no more frequent in occurrence than in other parts of the country.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
Mattkroff,

Between Doorgunner's confidence in the use of a hot tub and some other comments on this thread I think it is fairly certain that a bit of humor has been injected into Kathleen's thread. Kathleen, come on down and get out of that dreary cold Oregon winter weather. Enjoy your visit and I am confident you will have a wonderful time.

Tim
DryHeat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
I second the notion that Bisbee is a must see, it really is! Very cool quirky town and we usually go down there a couple of times per year with our trailer. The Queen Mine RV Park is still open, but we normally stay at the Shady Dell which is an old RV Park with trailers that you can stay in if you do not have one. They do have 2-3 full hook up spots and love to have Airstreamers visit. I would call ahead to make sure they have space available... Speak with Jen or Justin who own the place. They are a very nice young couple and are good friends of ours. Bisbee is indeed 5 miles from the border, but the crossing at Naco is harmless and rather comical, they have a chain link fence running right through the town which is the border.

As far as critters, we have more trouble with scorpions at home than when we are out camping.(they are in hibernation until early May). We have never seen any while camping, but have had plenty in our yard and house. Coyotes are all over the place and pretty much stay away. We have had Kit Foxes get into our trash in Quartzite but that was our fault. Be sure to bring a hummingbird feeder and some nectar, as you will immediately have them buzzing around when you put it up and they are a lot of fun to watch.

If you go hiking, depending on the time of year, be watchful for rattlers coming out of hibernation and sunning themselves on the trails, and carry a pair of tweezers or small needle nose pliers in the event that you get personal with a Cholla Cactus, they can be brutal.

Otherwise, come and enjoy our AZ Spring and I think you will have a great time. Do bring your camera, you will be in awe of our sunrises and sunsets.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
Be especially careful of the CHUPACABRAS if you go hiking in the desert at night!
A chupacabra is known to Mexican children as a vampire bat on steroids type of creature that laps the blood of cabras (goats) and naughty children who stay out past their bedtimes.
Not much chance of finding one in Green Valley.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Ahab. Very funny.

(Are there really such things as chupacabras?)

We have a five-pound Teacup Poodle who would make great coyote bait. She'll be kept close.

Sounds like a trip to Bisbee will be in the works as well at to Tombstone. Can't wait!

I am very happy to know that the scorpions are in hibernation until May. One less thing to worry about.
Kathleenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
I second a stay at the Shady dell. Enjoy your trip.
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Peppermint Essense Oil

[QUOTE=Air Cruiser;943164]I was told recently by an individual in the Airstream business that he uses "oil of peppermint". He said he uses cotton balls to rub it on the outside of his AS at places where they might like to walk in.

We tried peppermint oil on cotton balls and the mice shredded those cotton balls the very next day after each fresh application. It didn't deter them one bit.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You've received some good advice...another vote for Bisbee and the Shady Dell...Jason and Jen are great and it is a memorable time...and like Louis said, they love Airstreams to come by!

The best advice is to just come on down and enjoy yourselves...we have rarely had any issues with the wild life while camping as long as you are sensible and watch your step..this time of year is not so bad because the reptiles are not out and a lot of critters are asleep... Oh wait! There was that time when one of our cockers chased skunk into its burrow. Eeeeeu. That was with us for weeks. Keep 'em on a leash and don't let them wander in the brush, even while on a leash... thorny things are common in the desert... If you are in a developed area you will have even less to worry about in that department...Arizona is no worse than anywhere else in terms of critters...everywhere has their own set of them...they are just different ones...at least we do not have those huge mosquitoes that carry cows off into the woods!

Oh..one thing you should see is the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum on the west side of the Tucson Mountains in Tucson...and there's a great campground nearby called Gilbert Ray Campground (run by Pima County and part of the Tucson Mt Park)...a great place to plant yourself for a few days at least and enjoy the sites...Saguaro National Monument West is near there as well...as is Old Tucson Studios (an old western movie set town that is now an amusement type place...they still shoot some movies there, too), if you enjoy that sort of thing.

I could go on but then I'd sound like a tourism host.

Enjoy!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Janet & Leon,

Thanks for giving the heads up on the peppermint oil. I was really hoping that would be good thing. Oh well. I guess the best thing is to crawl under her and make certain all the little cracks and holes are closed up tightly.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
TBR, thanks for adding to my rich collection of information. I looked at the Shady Dell online and it might be fun to have a 50s-style burger at Dot's Diner.
We've been to the Old Tucson Studios and had a fun day there.
I had a look at Gilbert Ray Park and that sounds nice too except my Tenderfoot DH likes the full-hookup-scene, lol. Still, if we see it I'd go in and take a look for future reference.

We leave tomorrow. I'm bringing lots of 'capri' trousers and cropped pants. Sandals, short-sleeves and a light jacket or two. Will that suffice or do I need to bring stuff for cooler weather? DH is already having fits about all clothes I jammed into the rig.
Kathleenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just a suggestion, but we usually bring clothes that can be worn in layers to adjust for whatever weather comes up. We have sports vests that can be worn if it's cool; but if it turns cold, a light jacket over them makes up for not having a heavy coat. And, if it warms up, you can shed the vest and the jacket.

You should remember that you will be going through a lot of places on the way down here where it's still winter. Also, I think it is getting down in the 40's at night in many areas in Arizona, which is still a little chilly, especially if the wind comes up (although, we are lucky we don't have a lot of wind down here, like Kansas and other places).

Also, this early in the year, we usually pack one heavy coat each in a tub in the bed of the pickup (under a tonneau cover), in case we get caught in a winter storm or have to change a tire at night on some mountain pass.

Just a thought...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #32
Rivet Master

We were in Green Valley today. Temperature was in the low 70's--delightful day.
It is still getting to the high 30's at night. Bring a thermostatically controlled heater for the Airstream as well as a couple of blankets for the bed.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Yup...we are in the sun belt...but also, it is winter...so be prepared for the potential cold snap. They happen. We can have dramatic temp swings within the same 24 hours, so as Phoenix suggests...be prepared to dress in layers...it's the name of the game here. But most of all have a blast!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel