Old 01-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
Kathleen,

A couple more places that may interest you is the Pima Air and Space Museum here in Tucson and the Titan Missile Museum in Sahuarita which is right next to Green Valley. The Titan museum is a deactivated ICBM site that is open for tours.

By the way, Gatorboy is really trying to pull your chain over the whole chupacabra thing. I don't think you will see any unless you come across a coyote with a bad case of mange!

I hope you enjoy your visit. It is a great time of year to be here.

Wingeezer- As far as I know the RV park is still open next to the Lavender Pit in Bisbee. That was a former open pit copper mine. The ore was shipped down the road to Douglas where the smelter was. The smelter is now gone and they even demolished the stack several years ago.

Tim

Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryHeat56 View Post
Kathleen,

A couple more places that may interest you is the Pima Air and Space Museum here in Tucson and the Titan Missile Museum in Sahuarita which is right next to Green Valley. The Titan museum is a deactivated ICBM site that is open for tours.

By the way, Gatorboy is really trying to pull your chain over the whole chupacabra thing. I don't think you will see any unless you come across a coyote with a bad case of mange!

I hope you enjoy your visit. It is a great time of year to be here.

Wingeezer- As far as I know the RV park is still open next to the Lavender Pit in Bisbee. That was a former open pit copper mine. The ore was shipped down the road to Douglas where the smelter was. The smelter is now gone and they even demolished the stack several years ago.

Tim

Hi Tim,

My comment about the Queen Mine RV park maybe being gone was meant as "tongue in cheek" as the campground looks a bit precarious hanging as it does on the edge of the Lavender pit!

I'm pretty sure it is still there, although I think the fellow that originally developed it has been very ill for a few years and it has been run for him by friends/volunteers. Not sure what the status is now, last time we stopped in was two winters ago.

Agree with you that the Titan missile museum is an interesting place to visit. We've never been to the Pima Air/Space musem and may do that this time.

Someone mentioned a flea market at Tucson Fairgrounds. I'm not familiar with that one & will have to do a search.

We always plan a trip to the Tanque Verde Swap meet and also the
Tohono O'Odham Swap Meet. Connie and I are both suckers for a good flea market!

Cheers ....... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Critters

The only concern you should have with Coyotes is providing them with a meal if you have a small dog or slow cat and you leave them outside. If your pet is on a leash, it won't have a chance.
The Coyotes won't bother you, we have them all over where I live and they tend to steer clear of humans. I see them on a daily basis.
I am a bit puzzled by all of the comments about mice getting in peoples trailers. I live on a farm, "lots of mice". I have no signs of mice getting in my trailer. I did do a good job of sealing everything that looked like a critter could get in. So far so good.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
Brian,

I think you would enjoy the Pima Air and Space Museum. Several large hangers house a SR-71, B-29, B-17,B-26 and others as well as all variety of planes outside to look at. This is a great time of year to go and see them as the weather is great for touring the outside exhibits.

Sorry, I did not get the joke about the RV park in Bisbee. Not sure it is still active since I have not been down there since the Last Brewery Gulch Day's last year.

Visiting Nogales, Mexico is up to you. We have not had any violence/shootouts for awhile down there. However, we did have a DHS/BP agent killed a couple months ago in a shooutout with bandits on our side of the border. My wife went down to Nogales a couple of weeks ago to fill some prescriptions at the pharmacy on the Mexico side and she said it was so said to see all the businesses that are closed down or boarded up down there.because of the violence/economy.

Have a nice trip out our way. If you have questions about the area send them my way and I will try and help.

Tim
Old 01-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
We live here. Some don't go out at night without a baseball bat. I prefer a double barrel shotgun. And, our two standard poodles enjoy chasing coyotes but they stay away from the mountain lions. Be sure to use duct tape to secure your trouser pant legs as the spiders like to crawl up your leg when you least expect it. Being a dry climate they like the moist areas.
Wait are you serious? People do this? (taping up pant legs)? Or is this some sort of "sound" advice you give to out of towners?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #20
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
From the title of this thread I was expecting to hear about swimming in cold water and then finding a warm spot. happened many times to me in my youth.now I use the hot tub, no worries.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I'm not sure about other Arizonans' comments about wild animals and insects. We camp outdoors alot in both our Airstream and on our boat and have never had problems with these. You do have to respect the outdoors and use a little common sense, but we had more problems with mosquitos at Yellowstone than with anything in Arizona. There have been a couple of incidents of wild animals with rabies (mountain lion attacks, etc.), but these are extremely rare and just one of the hazards of camping outdoors. These are no more frequent in occurrence than in other parts of the country.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
Mattkroff,

Between Doorgunner's confidence in the use of a hot tub and some other comments on this thread I think it is fairly certain that a bit of humor has been injected into Kathleen's thread. Kathleen, come on down and get out of that dreary cold Oregon winter weather. Enjoy your visit and I am confident you will have a wonderful time.

Tim
Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
I second the notion that Bisbee is a must see, it really is! Very cool quirky town and we usually go down there a couple of times per year with our trailer. The Queen Mine RV Park is still open, but we normally stay at the Shady Dell which is an old RV Park with trailers that you can stay in if you do not have one. They do have 2-3 full hook up spots and love to have Airstreamers visit. I would call ahead to make sure they have space available... Speak with Jen or Justin who own the place. They are a very nice young couple and are good friends of ours. Bisbee is indeed 5 miles from the border, but the crossing at Naco is harmless and rather comical, they have a chain link fence running right through the town which is the border.

As far as critters, we have more trouble with scorpions at home than when we are out camping.(they are in hibernation until early May). We have never seen any while camping, but have had plenty in our yard and house. Coyotes are all over the place and pretty much stay away. We have had Kit Foxes get into our trash in Quartzite but that was our fault. Be sure to bring a hummingbird feeder and some nectar, as you will immediately have them buzzing around when you put it up and they are a lot of fun to watch.

If you go hiking, depending on the time of year, be watchful for rattlers coming out of hibernation and sunning themselves on the trails, and carry a pair of tweezers or small needle nose pliers in the event that you get personal with a Cholla Cactus, they can be brutal.

Otherwise, come and enjoy our AZ Spring and I think you will have a great time. Do bring your camera, you will be in awe of our sunrises and sunsets.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
Be especially careful of the CHUPACABRAS if you go hiking in the desert at night!
A chupacabra is known to Mexican children as a vampire bat on steroids type of creature that laps the blood of cabras (goats) and naughty children who stay out past their bedtimes.
Not much chance of finding one in Green Valley.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Ahab. Very funny.

(Are there really such things as chupacabras?)

We have a five-pound Teacup Poodle who would make great coyote bait. She'll be kept close.

Sounds like a trip to Bisbee will be in the works as well at to Tombstone. Can't wait!

I am very happy to know that the scorpions are in hibernation until May. One less thing to worry about.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
The Gorgeous Pac Northwest , Washington
I second a stay at the Shady dell. Enjoy your trip.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Peppermint Essense Oil

[QUOTE=Air Cruiser;943164]I was told recently by an individual in the Airstream business that he uses "oil of peppermint". He said he uses cotton balls to rub it on the outside of his AS at places where they might like to walk in.

We tried peppermint oil on cotton balls and the mice shredded those cotton balls the very next day after each fresh application. It didn't deter them one bit.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You've received some good advice...another vote for Bisbee and the Shady Dell...Jason and Jen are great and it is a memorable time...and like Louis said, they love Airstreams to come by!

The best advice is to just come on down and enjoy yourselves...we have rarely had any issues with the wild life while camping as long as you are sensible and watch your step..this time of year is not so bad because the reptiles are not out and a lot of critters are asleep... Oh wait! There was that time when one of our cockers chased skunk into its burrow. Eeeeeu. That was with us for weeks. Keep 'em on a leash and don't let them wander in the brush, even while on a leash... thorny things are common in the desert... If you are in a developed area you will have even less to worry about in that department...Arizona is no worse than anywhere else in terms of critters...everywhere has their own set of them...they are just different ones...at least we do not have those huge mosquitoes that carry cows off into the woods!

Oh..one thing you should see is the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum on the west side of the Tucson Mountains in Tucson...and there's a great campground nearby called Gilbert Ray Campground (run by Pima County and part of the Tucson Mt Park)...a great place to plant yourself for a few days at least and enjoy the sites...Saguaro National Monument West is near there as well...as is Old Tucson Studios (an old western movie set town that is now an amusement type place...they still shoot some movies there, too), if you enjoy that sort of thing.

I could go on but then I'd sound like a tourism host.

Enjoy!

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel