Old 10-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Yosemite / Eastern Sierra Trip

My response to being "nervous" on our first trip out with the AS was since we havn't had the segment protectors intalled yet is keeping an eye out for road debris that might damage the front curved panels.

It's like when you buy a new car you hate it when you have damage done to the vehicle and you still have 59 more payments to go!

My girlfriend's son and daughter in law are meeting us in Lone Pine for Christmas and plan on sleeping in their enormous family tent.

They like us when we tent camped have all our latest gear including a Thetford Port-a-pottie!!!

Even though the Bambi is only 16' feet we have found we finally have enough room for all our trailer gear and other items that can be stowed in the outside storage compartment leaving the inside especially the bed clear of stuff.

We still follow the rule from our tent camping days that less is better. Although if we ever get to the point of full time touring one of the larger AS models might look tempting.

Quick question: For those who live full time in their Airstreams how big or small is your AS and how's is it for full time living?

I included some photos of our trip.

Jack Dog
in So Cal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yosemite October 2012 051.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	554.1 KB
ID:	171090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yosemite October 2012 065.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	171091  

Name:	Yosemite October 2012 120.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	171092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yosemite October 2012 098.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	171093  

Name:	Yosemite October 2012 080.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	171094  

Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Jack, we will not be full-timing but, after meeting so many full-timers this past year, almost every single one we met lives in a 27'. We originally were going to go for bust and get the 30' but, after meeting all of these folks who said they would never move up to a 30' (too many limitations with a larger unit) is the main reason why we decided on the 27' FB. I love your pics. Making me want to go out and enjoy our new girl. We just need to drive to NJ to pick her up next month. Cheers!!

WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fin View Post
We too encountered many curious travelers that wanted to see and hear all about the AS! I was surprised though, each person asked how much the AS COSTS!!?? I was raised to never ask such questions!!
Little Fin - I'd bet most folks were raised not to ask someone how much their "this or that" cost. I was taught it was just bad manners. In today's more relaxed life, I've chosen to take the question as nothing more than an expressed interest, even if still somewhat rude. My answer is usually to say that Airstreams are more expensive (without divulging any $$ figure), but there are very good reasons for that extra cost ~ how beautifully they tow in all weather conditions, that generally AS don't rot away like most SOB campers & the rate of depreciation is usually substantially less. I also stress that if given good care & maintenance I can "will" my AS to my grandson for many more years of fun & memories.

If that isn't enough, I just tell them to visit an AS dealer or shop online.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Good Luck

Travelbird,

Having so many wonderful places to go to that's within a days drive makes the high cost of living in California almost worth it.

The only downside to living in Orange County is timing the leaving and arrival times. We typically leave very late in the pm or very early in the am. It's nice to not have the stress of towing our AS in heavy traffic.

Good luck on your'e trip to the east coast. Our prayers to you that you don't hit too much bad weather and you make the return trip home without incident.

Jack Dog
in So Cal
Old 10-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDog View Post
Travelbird,

Having so many wonderful places to go to that's within a days drive makes the high cost of living in California almost worth it.

The only downside to living in Orange County is timing the leaving and arrival times. We typically leave very late in the pm or very early in the am. It's nice to not have the stress of towing our AS in heavy traffic.

Good luck on your'e trip to the east coast. Our prayers to you that you don't hit too much bad weather and you make the return trip home without incident.

Jack Dog
in So Cal
Thanks, Jack for your kind words!! I'll keep you posted
Air #62992
Old 10-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #20
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Full Timing and Whistling Gophers:
Jack Dog: I've full timed for about 21 months. I bought a 0.7 acre in rural WA that had a restored 50yr. old barn on it. Got the septic, elect. and well permitted and backed Tinbad right on in there and havent looked back. The cost of building a house these days compounded with a very uncertain future housing market due to population decrece made up my mind for me. Being in the barn with a "living room" out-side the trailer may be "cheating" a bit but from a comfort/cost perspective it's great:
I come from working on large motor yachts and the old joke goes: Guy walks up and sais "So, what's a rig like this gopher" and when I say "oh, maybe 20,000,000" they just whistle. I don't mind telling people what I paid for it because I always follow up with "I bought it used from the 3rd owner and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a house"!
All the best with your new "rig"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0148.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	171254  
Old 10-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #21
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Great Set Up

Del,

What a great set up! We have some property near Lone Pine in the Eastern Sierra.

If we decide to move up to a bigger AS this just might be the way to go. Inyo County has an issue with citizens living in trailers on their property but if I was to build a nice RV barn with room for the AS and my vehicles I think this would be the way to go.

As long as it has a funtioning bathroom and utilities and I insulate it for extended living outside the AS this would be alot cheaper than building both a barn and a house.

Michael Harper,

Jack Dog
in So Cal
Old 10-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Tips for first timers...

Anna-

Sounds like a great adventure bringing new 27FB home from NJ.. Wanted to urge you to try "Search" tab above (in blue bar on right side..) and practice looking up phrases like "first timer" or "Newbie" or similar phrases.. ALL of us had to make first trip in our trailers once, and many of us have the (now..) funny stories to go with those trips... Here are several of the more useful tips you are likely to find:

1. Let the seller/dealer show you how EVERYTHING works, and practice or do it yourself while they watch once. Remembering what someone said about the water heater or A/C later is not the same...
2. If at all possible, spend the first night right there, camping in parking lot or driveway, or wherever.. You'll have a couple more questions in the morning, and if there's a warranty, that is last chance to use it there..
3. Take it easy driving first few hundred miles. Right lane, stay behind a truck (well back) and just get comfy before blasting off over the speed limit in left lanes..
4. Until you've made or practiced a panic stop and rapid lane change, you won't appreciate how long it takes or what it feels like. A pair of connected vehicles rolling at 13,000 pounds can leave a bunch of rubber strips and still not stop on a dime if rolling at 55 mph or more...
5. Keep reminder about sense of humor and how great the stories will be "later.." Stuff will happen, and you need to be ready to not get stressed.. (Read "mistakes people have made" thread here for encouragement..)
6. Finally, Wally passionately believed Airstream value was in pushing people outside their comfort zones and in going beyond next hill to see something new.. That is what you're doing, and you should enjoy it!

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Gurney View Post
Full Timing and Whistling Gophers:
Jack Dog: I've full timed for about 21 months. I bought a 0.7 acre in rural WA that had a restored 50yr. old barn on it. Got the septic, elect. and well permitted and backed Tinbad right on in there and havent looked back. The cost of building a house these days compounded with a very uncertain future housing market due to population decrece made up my mind for me. Being in the barn with a "living room" out-side the trailer may be "cheating" a bit but from a comfort/cost perspective it's great:
I come from working on large motor yachts and the old joke goes: Guy walks up and sais "So, what's a rig like this gopher" and when I say "oh, maybe 20,000,000" they just whistle. I don't mind telling people what I paid for it because I always follow up with "I bought it used from the 3rd owner and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a house"!
All the best with your new "rig"
Hey, I used to crew on a 167' Feadship in the Med and down island. Where were you in the world and on what type of motor yacht?
Air #62992
Old 10-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Anna-

Sounds like a great adventure bringing new 27FB home from NJ.. Wanted to urge you to try "Search" tab above (in blue bar on right side..) and practice looking up phrases like "first timer" or "Newbie" or similar phrases.. ALL of us had to make first trip in our trailers once, and many of us have the (now..) funny stories to go with those trips... Here are several of the more useful tips you are likely to find:

1. Let the seller/dealer show you how EVERYTHING works, and practice or do it yourself while they watch once. Remembering what someone said about the water heater or A/C later is not the same...
2. If at all possible, spend the first night right there, camping in parking lot or driveway, or wherever.. You'll have a couple more questions in the morning, and if there's a warranty, that is last chance to use it there..
3. Take it easy driving first few hundred miles. Right lane, stay behind a truck (well back) and just get comfy before blasting off over the speed limit in left lanes..
4. Until you've made or practiced a panic stop and rapid lane change, you won't appreciate how long it takes or what it feels like. A pair of connected vehicles rolling at 13,000 pounds can leave a bunch of rubber strips and still not stop on a dime if rolling at 55 mph or more...
5. Keep reminder about sense of humor and how great the stories will be "later.." Stuff will happen, and you need to be ready to not get stressed.. (Read "mistakes people have made" thread here for encouragement..)
6. Finally, Wally passionately believed Airstream value was in pushing people outside their comfort zones and in going beyond next hill to see something new.. That is what you're doing, and you should enjoy it!
I can't thank you enough for your response. We are VERY nervous and your advise is helpful. Each time I try to use the "search" I put in specific words and it never seems to get me to where I want to go. We are planning on spending two nights at Colonial. I am going to video tape the entire walk-thru also. We will spend the night after the walk-thru in case we have issues by the next morning. We are then driving to Jackson Center to have the other 2 awnings installed and will be spending the night there for 2 nights. I'm hoping that with both of these stays-we might get a good feel of what we are doing. Neither of us have ever towed anything so the thought of our maiden voyage being over 2,000 miles is frightening. But, I guess when we return to Denver, we'll know what we are doing?? Cheers!!
Air #62992
Old 10-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #25
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
For the curious, I tell them prices range from a few thousand used upwards to 100Gs new depending on size, amenities, and interior finish. I then follow up with the comment that one just chooses what they want to spent before starting their search. Like our politicians, I immediately pivot to questions about where they want to travel, what they would want to do, how many people they would take along, what do they have as a tow vehicle, etc. Price is quickly forgotten.

Although we aren't permanent trailer residents, we have gone out for extended voyages of 6 weeks or more many times and our trailer has been used for stays of 3 months four times. 28 feet and a slide out make this a perfect choice for almost all locations and plenty of comfortable living space.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Gurney View Post
I've full timed for about 21 months. I bought a 0.7 acre in rural WA that had a restored 50yr. old barn on it. Got the septic, elect. and well permitted and backed Tinbad right on in there and havent looked back.
Sorry for the thread diversion, but I'm fascinated by this. Is the barn heated and/or cooled? Wondering how you heat the AS since you probably don't want the furnace venting into the barn.

Tom
Old 10-25-2012, 01:54 AM   #27
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Hi Tom:
Barn (double insulated) is heated by Infrared suspended heat....only one at $300 per unit at .15/$ hr. If it gets very cold out side I move inside and user a ceramic heater in the TT. Propane use should be very well monitored as I use it for limited cooking and water heating though I have an electric water heater that bypasses the TT propane heater if needed...(rare occasions, maybe 4 weeks a year) AND I have outside cooking ie: Coleman camper stove, fire pit and electric crock-pot etc.
Propane use IN an enclosed space is unsafe period!! If I do so it is only when the barn windows are open with a "cross draft". The propane tank valves are only open when I am present and in use......Other wise they are closed and I do a "soap bubble" test on all propane connections regularly.
The furnas is not necessary for the temps we have here though I crank it up from time to time (barn windows open and I am present) for testing. No need for barn cooling up here....more heat the better.
Hope this helps
Del