2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqmama
1. A spare tire
2. Spare fuses

Then you're golden! Have fun!
Well thanks. We have the first 100 miles under us and no problems so far. We planned to leave yesterday, but messed around and didn't get off.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamper
Southern Illinois is my home town area, too. Overlander64 is right. True Southern Illinois is not at all like the landscape just 2 or 3 hours north from the southern tip of the state.

We'll be at Little Grassy Lake Campground this weekend. When we're not at Little Grassy, our two favorite RV Parks are Whittington Woods near Benton, IL (and near Rend Lake) and Marion Campground and RV Park at Marion, IL. Both are easy access to Interstate 57. We've become good friends with the owners of both. Either would be a comfortable stop if you need any assistance with resources on your first outings.

Whittington Woods is less than half a mile down (or up) the road from one of our favorite local wineries.

Interstate 57 has several construction spots on it especially at Marion, West Frankfort, Mt Vernon, and Effingham. Sometimes you can get through without delays -- and sometimes not. At Effingham they are in the midst of a massive reconfiguration of the Interstate in the area where 57 and 70 combine. We've found the Google Maps Traffic feature to be a pretty accurate indicator of traffic problems around there. If you see a sign that says, "Expect Delays" then believe them -- especially if they suggest taking an alternate route.

Good luck and enjoy your outing . . . hope to see you down or up the road one of these days.

Nancy Mac

Whittington Woods Campground -->> Whittington Woods Campground at Benton (formerly Benton Best Holiday Trav-L-Park)

RV Park Reviews -->> RV Park Reviews :: Whittington, Illinois ( IL ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Marion RV Park and Campground -->> Marion Campground

Pheasant Hollow Winery -->> Home

Little Grassy Lake and Campground near Carbondale, IL and Giant City State Park -->> Home

Shawnee Hills Wine Trail a little further south than Benton, IL -- >> Home | Shawnee Hills Wine Trail
Well do far so good! We are about 30 min from rend lake and so far. No troubles! Keep your fingers crossed for our first hook up. Thanks for all your great ideas. We come through here often and we will for sure try some things out !!

Old 04-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Fingers are crossed for you for a smooth hook up. Where did you decide to stay? Hope the storm that rolled through didn't cause you any problems.

Nancy Mac
Old 04-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Fingers are crossed for you for a smooth hook up. Where did you decide to stay? Hope the storm that rolled through didn't cause you any problems.

Nancy Mac
We went through a rough storm in KY. We were going to flip a coin to see who had to get out and connect all of the stuff. But beautiful skies now! We are staying T Fitzgerald state park. Have a great weekend and I will send a message if I need good advice! Thanks for your help.

Treva and Dennis
Old 04-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
We saw on the radar that areas of Kentucky were getting some weather. Glad you made it through. It is clear down here now and chilly.

Remember you have friends within an hour of you if you need help.

If you see lots of motorcycles heading south, could be for Sunday's Annual Blessing of the Bikes on Bald Knob Cross in Alto Pass. Blessing Of The Bikes - Bald Knob Cross of Peace

Nope, that's not why we're down here this weekend.

Enjoy your evening and drive through Illinois.

Nancy
Old 04-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:

Nancy Mac
I think our first little glitch is there is no water. We have water in our holding tank though. Surely that will last one night. Don't u think?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
We saw on the radar that areas of Kentucky were getting some weather. Glad you made it through. It is clear down here now and chilly.

Remember you have friends within an hour of you if you need help.

If you see lots of motorcycles heading south, could be for Sunday's Annual Blessing of the Bikes on Bald Knob Cross in Alto Pass. Blessing Of The Bikes - Bald Knob Cross of Peace

Nope, that's not why we're down here this weekend.

Enjoy your evening and drive through Illinois.

Nancy
If we head out tomorrow and go 36 to KC. Do you know of any campgrounds. With the full hook up?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Is your holding/fresh water tank full? If so, you should be good for the night. Whittington Woods Campground right near you has full hook ups if you want to stay in the area. Mary and Reed will welcome you with open arms.

We haven't stayed in any campgrounds on 36/72. We did stay at Lazy Day Campground in Montgomery City, MO a couple of years ago when we were doing something in Columbia, MO. However, it's off 70.

Do you know about RV Park Reviews website. It's been a great resource for us and we do post our reviews there. RV Park Reviews :: Park Map

Sorry we can't be more help on campgrounds around 36/72. Most of our travel west is over to Tulsa and Oklahoma City.

Nancy Mac
Old 04-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartimisi

Well thanks. We have the first 100 miles under us and no problems so far. We planned to leave yesterday, but messed around and didn't get off.
Lol! That sounds familiar. Did that just last week-aimed at departing Thursday and left Friday afternoon. Ah well... I'm hoping to be more 'on time' next week when we depart friday as we pick the kiddo up from school!

Crossing fingers it's a smooth trip for ya! Glad to hear so far so good.... We did our maiden voyage over Easter weekend and ended up having an eventful journey/first evening due to a blown tire (a new one, and no spare) and then when we finally arrived, blown fuses so no electrical. An adventure that I wouldn't trade but have def learned my lesson!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
What route were you planning to take to get from Benton to 36/72 ? There's lots of road construction on 55 between St. Louis and Springfield. We came through there just last week.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
First Trip! Need advice

Greetings Tartimisl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartimisi View Post
If we head out tomorrow and go 36 to KC. Do you know of any campgrounds. With the full hook up?
There are several nice campgrounds along the route:
  • There are several in the Springfield, Illinois area
    • Riverside Park Campground is one of my favorites, but it can be a bit noisy on the weekends when it is very popular with families.
  • Quincy, Illinois has a campground that I have enjoyed on two different trips.
    • Driftwood Campground . . . it is located along the Great River Road and there are a number of historical points of interest nearby.
  • At least two that I know of in the Hannibal, Missouri area
    • Mark Twain Cave and Campground is my favorite, and I have always enjoyed my stays there . . . you should be OK at this time of year but once school is out it is hard to get a spot without a reservation.
    • Injun Joe Campground is a second campground that I have used when the one above is full. The front part of this campground is pleasant, but the rear of the campground is not pleasant and I would ask to see the assigned spot before agreeing to stay.
  • Macon, Missouri has one campground that I have considered utilzing, but have never stopped there.
Good luck and enjoy your adventure!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
I suggest a check list of "your steps" to hitch-up and unhitch. Follow this check list until it becomes a natural flow of ordered steps....modify the steps as you fond a better way. Finally, I do a "dummy" walk around the trailer to make certain all is ready to roll...I especially look under the trailer and at the hitch point. Enjoy!

Hissilver
Old 04-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
What route were you planning to take to get from Benton to 36/72 ? There's lots of road construction on 55 between St. Louis and Springfield. We came through there just last week.
Well gang. We didn't do so good our first night. We paid the host at the campground. They wished us well. We found an isolated little spot not to embarrass ourselves He backed it in like a pro. We chocked the wheels and removed the hitch in record time. NASCAR would have been proud. Then we plugged in and like magic. We tripped the breaker and. No power. It was a GFI circuit. We tried it 54 times. Cussed. Now it is pitch black. We talked to the host. Who had already put up the closed sign. Got a refund. We went and rehitched up. Not in record time. And went to the VFW in waltonville and drank beer with some friends. Parked the "LOVE SHACK" our 1985 Excella on the street in front of their house and slept like a baby. This morning we are going back with a friend and he has a shop they are going to find what was causing it to ground out. So all in all we didn't do so good. We are definitely making memories!! I'll keep y'all posted on what happens next. E
Old 04-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Sounds like you have a great attitude and approach. Hopefully the fix will be quick, inexpensive, and painless. VFW, beer and friends -- great coping mechanisms in this instance. Hope all goes well today!

Nancy mac