Old 03-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
First Trip Logistics

We've just purchased our first trailer (2019 FC 30 Bunk), and we're complete noobs at recreational camping. Houston is home, but we have an upcoming adventure in picking up our new baby at Colonial Airstream in NJ. That's very near my wife's hometown, so we'll stop in to see the in-laws & out-laws while we are in town. We're making the trip over Spring Break, so the entire family will enjoy a road trip. Clearly we'll be staying in hotels on the trip out, and of course we want to use the new "tenement on wheels" on the journey back to Texas. We've got a tightly-defined schedule on the return trip, since I have an international business trip that defines our end date.

I have a defined number of days and a starting point and ending point. I've tried to use the search function, but I'm not using the right terms....how do people plan journeys? Are there web sites or apps or ????

Thanks for your help, everyone!

2015 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you type “trip planning” into the blue search box at the top of your page, you will find a lot of threads on this topic here that may be of help to you.

I like the AllStays app for finding campgrounds, also PocketEarth for generally trajectory planning.

Have fun!

Maggie

Old 03-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
The AllStays CG app is the great- probably the best $10 I have ever spent, however it seems to be hard to get for android phones. We always use public campgrounds so we like the Ultimate Campgrounds app ($5).

Have a great trip picking up your new Airstream. A road trip just doesn’t get any better than that.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	334779
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Jay

Since this is your first trailer it sounds like you may have no experience towing a trailer. Considering that you will be towing it 1,600 miles, starting in the crowded northeast, with your family, on a tight schedule with a fixed end date could be a recipe for disaster. I am not trying to be a negative Nancy just want you to know that what you are about to do will be difficult. Now would I do this? You betcha. I love a challenge and a good adventure. Just think about it and how you can best prepare yourself for this challenge.

Good luck, Dan
Old 03-02-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
I have a defined number of days and a starting point and ending point. I've tried to use the search function, but I'm not using the right terms....how do people plan journeys? Are there web sites or apps or ????!

Jay

I think that trip routing and planning is way down on the list of what you need to be concerned about.

Dan
Old 03-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Since you are on a tight schedule have you thought about having Colonial deliver it for you?

Second I would recommend you look at a map that shows highways from NJ to Texas and determine which route wold fit you best for your return schedule. Some routes will take you close to big cities where the traffic is very heavy. For instance DC Atlanta and other locations. I always do my best to avoid them if possible.
Third determine how many hours you want to travel in a day then multiply by 50mph and that will give you roughly your daily mileage. I use 50 mph as that takes in breaks and gas stops.
Safe travels and enjoy your new AS
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I have been using the trip planner on the Good Sam site for quite a while. I can pick a distance to travel and see whats available. Three hundred miles is roughly about what we do a day.
Since this is your first trailer, I would leave lots of time to get back. You cant make time towing like you do when driving a passenger car. Someone suggested having it delivered. Might be a good idea. Anything bad that happened to us with the Airstream has been when we where in a hurry.
Good luck
Old 03-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Microsoft Streets and Trips is a great Windows program for trip planning if you can find an old copy of it. It’s a bit clunky interface by today’s standards, but I’ve never found another program that will do what it does. They no longer sell it, but you can oddly still download a 14 day trail version from their website. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=30173. If you like it, you might find someone’s old full version on eBay, or the 14 days might be enough to get your route planned out and then just manually go from there.

Streets and Trips lets you lay out your overall route based on the places you want to go and will show you where your days will end. You can then use apps such as Allstays or Campendium to find good campgrounds near those places. Sometimes you may want to stretch or shorten a day to end up at a campground you like.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
2004 25' Safari
Williamsburg , Virginia
Colonial is great. We're picking up our FC27FB in April, but have been up to visit the dealer. Suggest first night stay at Colonial, planning some time the next day to work out any obvious kinks you discover, then start working your way back. Advice on using 50mph average speed in a day is excellent. AllStays is a must. Take it slow, expect some "adventure," and have fun!
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
I highly, absolutely positively recommend putting two days into your schedule to be spent at Colonial Airstream. Arrive early, get the six-hour briefing from Kevin and Patrick, spend the afternoon and evening repeating everything they told you, going through the included Airstream checklist, opening every door, drawer, cabinet, latch, powering all appliances, operating all components, absolutely everything - even the outside shower. The next day, get them to fix/repair/look at your list of items that need attention. Go over the hitch sequence again and again. Check the small stuff - is the table at a good ergonomic height? Do you need chocks, voltage regulator, torque wrench, socket, TPMS, or glitter at the shop? Use Google Earth to locate the abandoned club not far from the dealership - they have a nice empty parking lot for practicing backing up.
I drove back to Tennessee. I stayed exclusively at KOA campgrounds, and used their website app to plan the route along with Google maps, averaging about 300 miles a day. It was easy and allowed me to concentrate on the trailer. For later trips, i recommend RVTripWizard and Campendium.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	334787  
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Jay

Since this is your first trailer it sounds like you may have no experience towing a trailer. Considering that you will be towing it 1,600 miles, starting in the crowded northeast, with your family, on a tight schedule with a fixed end date could be a recipe for disaster. I am not trying to be a negative Nancy just want you to know that what you are about to do will be difficult. Now would I do this? You betcha. I love a challenge and a good adventure. Just think about it and how you can best prepare yourself for this challenge.

Good luck, Dan
Lots of experience towing large things; no experience with the camping lifestyle.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Since you are on a tight schedule have you thought about having Colonial deliver it for you?

Second I would recommend you look at a map that shows highways from NJ to Texas and determine which route wold fit you best for your return schedule. Some routes will take you close to big cities where the traffic is very heavy. For instance DC Atlanta and other locations. I always do my best to avoid them if possible.
Third determine how many hours you want to travel in a day then multiply by 50mph and that will give you roughly your daily mileage. I use 50 mph as that takes in breaks and gas stops.
Safe travels and enjoy your new AS

The trip was planned at some level quite some time ago, as we promised the kids a trip over spring break to see the grandparents. Only recently did we add the trailer to the equation, after I compared pricing of local dealers to Colonial.

I’ve driven the journey enough times to know what to expect traffic-wise, and it generally takes 3 liesurely days (or 2 really long ones). We are anticipating 3 full days for this trip, and I know generally where the stopovers will be. Just wondering how to find good spots for a quick in/out camping experience.

I’m aware of the big traffic problems, and we avoid them. After we get through the NJ/PA/DE/MD traffic conundrum on I-95 (and even then I know how to avoid the worst, as I lived in Wilmington DE for a decade) there’s not any non-construction traffic problems until we get to the eastern outskirts of Houston.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:43 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgBullet View Post
Colonial is great. We're picking up our FC27FB in April, but have been up to visit the dealer. Suggest first night stay at Colonial, planning some time the next day to work out any obvious kinks you discover, then start working your way back. Advice on using 50mph average speed in a day is excellent. AllStays is a must. Take it slow, expect some "adventure," and have fun!
Hey AgBullet....by any chance, did you also purchase a ProPride and have it drop-shipped to Colonial?
Old 03-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
I highly, absolutely positively recommend putting two days into your schedule to be spent at Colonial Airstream. Arrive early, get the six-hour briefing from Kevin and Patrick, spend the afternoon and evening repeating everything they told you, going through the included Airstream checklist, opening every door, drawer, cabinet, latch, powering all appliances, operating all components, absolutely everything - even the outside shower. The next day, get them to fix/repair/look at your list of items that need attention. Go over the hitch sequence again and again. Check the small stuff - is the table at a good ergonomic height? Do you need chocks, voltage regulator, torque wrench, socket, TPMS, or glitter at the shop? Use Google Earth to locate the abandoned club not far from the dealership - they have a nice empty parking lot for practicing backing up.
Hi Ach...We’re staying at least one night in the Colonial parking lot, but we’ll still be in the very near vicinity for several days more visiting with the family. Thanks for the advice on the abandoned lot; I’ve never towed with a Hensley hitch, so I’ll need a bit of time to get familiar with it.