Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
East valley , Arizona
Talking First trip in Airstream

Hi All,
Took our 2005 19' Bambi out for the very first time. Wow, what a dream pulling her. She follows so nicely, and when large trucks passed us, well, no swaying noted!

Visited Catalina State Park in AZ. The park and weather were great. Filled to capacity, some had to be turned away. There is a section with water and elec. hookups and another for dry camping. Wanted to make certain that all systems worked, so we managed to get the last elec/water hookup space that day. Wonderful hiking trails there (hiked 2 days). Couldn't believe that there were about 4 other Airstreams in the park. What a joy seeing them.

All systems seemed to be working fine until it was time for the awning. Yikes, it seemed so easy during the PDI demo. We had to be missing a step to getting it right. Well, where else to go but to another Airstream owner. Walked by and saw a gentleman sitting near his Airstream. After introductions, described our "glitch". Without missing a beat, he (Norm) suggested we take a walk over to our airstream. Norm demonstrated putting the awning up, and then he closed it. He turned to us and asked us to pull the awning out and set it up. Norm wanted to be certain we knew how to do it before he left. What a kind gentleman! He has earned a page in our travel notes!

Only other concern is the gray tank sensor didn't work. Will take it in to have that looked at this week. Other than that, what a wonderful TT. Since she is a Bambi LS, we call her "Ms.Lilly Savannah Bambi". Just seems to suit her

Looking forward to many more travels. The long trip will be cross country to Pennsylvania sometime this summer.

Until then, happy travels to all.
BoJo
BoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
That was pretty uneventful for a first time out. Well done.

Don't worry too much about the sensor panel. They are usually off anyway. Your manual tells you how to recalibrate it.

See you around the campfire.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' Safari
Rohnert Park , California
Congratulations on your new Bambi. Those awnings can be tricky. I damaged mine on my second trip out. A lesson I won't forget.
bkmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Congratulations on a successful first run! Like Goin Camping said, don't worry too much about the sensors. We have a 19' Bambi as well and the sensors have never really reported accurately. After you get several trips under your belt you'll develope your own "sense" of where the tank levels are. Wishing you many happy journeys with Ms Lilly Savannah Bambi!
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Congratulations

I'm glad to read you had a good time. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger about the awning, it took me a couple of times to figure that one out. About the gray water sensor...my problem was the black water sensor. If the gray one is the only one that doesn't read correctly, don't mess with the others when you calibrate the gray one. You can get that info from the owners manual or Airstream customer service will fax it to you. You can recalibrate only the gray water sensor by only disconnecting the gray water sensor wires in the back of the sensor. (in the wardrobe closet wall). If you take all the wires loose, you have to recalibrate all of the sensors. Been there, done that.
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Question Where Are You Headed In PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJo View Post
Looking forward to many more travels. The long trip will be cross country to Pennsylvania sometime this summer.
BoJo,
Congratulations on your first successful outting in "Ms.Lilly Savannah Bambi". Our '87 is named "Savannah".

Where in PA are you headed??? If you are looking for a place to camp try Penn Wood Airstream Park (Clarion, PA.). It is a great setting with full hookups, lots to do in the area, and you can't beat the price, $20.00 / night. You do not have to be a WBCCI member to camp. There is always plenty of room so just pull in, find a spot, and relax.

If you need courtesey parking in south east PA (near Reading) we have space in our driveway with 15 amp electric, water, and sewer.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
BoJo, Congrats on your new baby and first trip under your belt. We had an awning experience on our first trip out. Looking back at the pictures of our awning only half extended got a kick out of ourselves. What fun you're in for as members of the Airstream family. Get out there again really soon now ya hear?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Congratulations on the new Bambi. We also have a 19-foot and make the trip to Tucson several times a year to visit friends. If you want to try a resort, check out Beaudry's RV Resort in Tucson. There's a Camping World on the property, and the Airsteam dealer is just down the street. Some of the sites have spa's, and there are two pools and excellent security.

Happy trails -- See you on I-10!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Congrats

Congratulations on completing a first adventure in your Bambi.

There is a real benefit to going to rallies with other Airstream owners - they are always willing to share their knowledge - just like this forum.

On our second rally I almost attached the potable water hose to the black water flush connection. Fortunately, I stopped, and connected the hose to the correct fitting.

About a half hour later, while I was still outside, an AS pulled into the spot on our left, and the guy started making the same mistake. Being a newbie I was reluctant to correct him, but I did. He said thanks, explained that this was his first rally and opinionated that I must have been on many rallies.

I am thinking the connections could be better marked.
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Welcome to Airstreaming.

There are a number of things that can be wrong with the sensors—the monitor panel can be bad, the sensors could be bad or have food or soap stuck to the them (try multiple flushes), the connections could be dirty. This system is well known for problems.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Congratulations on the Maiden Voyage

Glad to hear things went so well for you......some of us have had a few more adventures on our initial outing. For example, did you know that the first time a new furnace is used it will set off the smoke detector....we found that out around 11:00 PM, along with our nearby neighbors at our first campground.

Gene gave you some good advice about checking the sensor for your gray tank. Look in your your manuals for the telephone number of the folks that make the Micropulse Systems Monitor. They are really great to deal with, and will patiently walk you through recalibration....if necessary. Our first 20' had the black tank sensor mounted right behind one of the wheels, which directed all the water and road grime right at the sensor. The wire that plugs into the sensor has the same type of connector as a wired telephone jack. Unplugging it, cleaning the contacts, and applying some dialectric grease, will most likely solve your problem. Again, check with the manufacturer if you don't know the sensor location.

Chief
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
One important tip: Read the posts on Marathon tires; it's an eye-opener. I'm running Maxxims now, after contributing to the list of horror stories. With a single axle, any tire problem can be almost catastrophic.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
Congratulations and welcome to Airstreaming! Bambis are, of course, the best of the best. How about some pictures of your new rig?
iHayley is offline   Reply With Quote