Old 10-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
We did a snowbird-type run south last year. It was cold when we left (5 above zero F). We did not want to burn a ton of propane keeping the trailer warm on the road, so we chose not to pack liquids and canned good that might be a problem if they freeze (we were probably over cautious about this). We had one box of liquids that we loaded into the car during the day and moved to the trailer at night. (We ran the furnace over night).

Our first night was at a KOA with electric hookups, parked in a foot of snow. We ate out for dinner and breakfast. Our second day got us to where it was well above freezing. We de-winterized there in a full-hookup campground.

We plan on doing it the same way this year. We aim to time our departure so that we leave home on the second of two sunny days so the highways will have minimal snow/ice/slush on them. We will not tow on the highway when the pavement has snow or ice.

SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
We live in Illinois, and snowbird to Florida every year. We used to take I 75 thru Atlanta. If there is snow on the ground we always use I 65 which is less hilly and snowy and avoid Atlanta. The Chattanooga hill can be particularly bad in Dec. and Jan. We continue on thru Birmingham and Montgomery and meet up with I 10 in Marianna FL. We stay on I 10 to the east coast or follow the coastal FL 19 to Naples. It is not much further than going through Atlanta and avoids the mountains.

dwightdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
If the weather is reasonable I try to get to the Kentucky Horse Park at Lexington. Full days travel from Southern Ontario. If weather is too cold I stay at a motel the first night . We have a number of motels we have stayed in over the years along the I 75 in Ohio, so I just keep trucking till it seems its time to get off the road.

In January you will encounter freezing all the way through Tennessee, depending on the weather patterns, but we seldom ran into icy roads. Check out websites like the following.

I-75 Exit Services From Michigan to Florida | I-75 Exit Guide

Definitely agree you don't want to pull the AS through salt and slush if it can be avoided. 2 Hours of snow and salt here in Ontario one year did serious damage to the aluminum badges on the AS.

JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:54 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1986 31' Sovereign
1993 34' Excella
COVINGTON , rich patch road
SENIORYAKKER, We live in Rich Patch, VA, which is between Covington and Clifton Forge. We are headed to Florida this Jan for the Canopener Rally. I have a question for you. Where along the way are places you stop for over nite? And how much bad weather have you ran in to in your travels? We are pulling a 34 ft AS. This will be our first time pulling this far away and at this time of year. We are leaving here on Jan 6, hope to be at Topsail on the 7 or early the 8. And thanks for any help you can give.
angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm watching this thread too....Going from Chicago area to the panhandle in a couple of weeks & wondered if anyone stayed at any Walmarts along I65 between Birmingham & Montgomery... We took I75 last year & Atlanta was horrendous!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:40 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Retired , Michigan
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
I'm watching this thread too....Going from Chicago area to the panhandle in a couple of weeks & wondered if anyone stayed at any Walmarts along I65 between Birmingham & Montgomery... We took I75 last year & Atlanta was horrendous!
WINGEEZER: REPLIED and suggested flying J. after reviewing their web site this is where we will be staying overnight. passing through Atlanta as a ghost is my best suggestion to you and all. time your overnight to be not far from Atlanta and get up real early and and fly through there before those folks get up. I go through there around 3 AM. buy the time i get to Macon it's time for a nap. hope this helps

LakeState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:11 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
For the most part our weather has been good once we get out of the mountains. Suggest you take 77 and get south and east as quickly as possible. We like to overnight in SC the first night, several Good Sam parks in the area. Next night is generally Jacksonville. We have friends to see in Ocala for a few nights, then we head south to the Keys, the warmest part of the state in January. We have used Walmart and Cracker Barrel in the past on the 95 Corridor and they are all Rv friendly, just ask first.

BeckyB, by all means, stay out of Atlanta unless you're driving about midnight. We have used Walmart along 59, south of Chattanooga, not sure in the Birmingham area. There is an ap called Allstays ONP Walmart which should help.
senioryakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:03 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Marthasville , Missouri
The last couple years we've headed to south Florida mid December leaving the St Louis area on Sat morning. We stay in north GA (Ringgold area) on Saturday night and drive thru Atlanta early Sunday morning. Traffic is light at that time and has not been a problem. As with most things, timing is important.
WBCCI 11988
AirEgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:15 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
Chicago , Illinois
We made the trip last March. I used the Allstays app to locate a Walmart overnight spot. We wanted a quick on and off. We found a good one right off I75 in Perry which is about an hour or so south of Atlanta. Huge lot filled with trucks and campers. Lots of gas stations and fast food. No need to call for permission at this one. The Allstays Camp and RV app is a great resource when your on the road.

Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote