Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
First trip and initial thoughts on the 23D

So I took the 23D on it's first real camping adventure last weekend. We just went to a local state park.

Awesome Awesome Awesome! A huge step up from my previous expandable trailer. Can't wait for spring to take it out more regularly!
Attached Images

rlhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The fun has just begun!
Old 11-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Congrats! More sunset pictures, please.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Hold it - you don't get off that easy. Initial thoughts? Awesome? You can do better.

How did you like the awning? Easy to extend? Helped keep the sun off, the rain off, the starlight deflected?

How did the furnace work? Easy to program? Quiet enough to sleep? Comfortable temperature or too hot/cold?

Did you find all the valves? Was the hot water ok? How was the shower? Any problems flushing or dumping the tanks? Was the fresh water pump too loud?

Did you find good places to store stuff? Was the bed comfortable? How was the dinette?

How did it tow, back, setup?

Tell us what you really think? Go for it! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
We get our 23D bunk in a few weeks, can't wait! Moving up from a tent, so this is our first travel trailer...... grandparents had an airstream and always wanted one.....

Tell us more!

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 11-29-2016, 03:28 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
As an owner of a 23D... welcome! But as Pat points out, you really need to let us know what you think (hint)... We've had our 23D for a year and with minor exceptions it has been nothing short of incredible... the minor exception being our two electrical issues. One of those was a short in a molex connector (those plastic quick connects for the wires), that was causing the heater to kick on when the radio was turned on. Nice in the winter, not so nice in the Texas summers.

Our second issue is one that plagues a lot of folks. We have to store our Airstream between uses and the storage facility doesn't have electrical hookups. Even disconnected, there's quite a bit of current draw from various things (there was a recent thread on this somewhere on this board). I tried a small portable solar panel, but it didn't provide enough trickle charge to keep the two batteries topped off and I've had to pull the batteries and charge them before taking the unit out. I'm getting ready to install cut-off switches to totally remove the batteries from the electrical circuits.

Minor things such as loose screws are about the only other issues I've ever had with my unit.

I think your going to love the 23D. With our daughter now off to college, it's the perfect two person trailer. Even when she joins us, like she did over our Thanksgiving camp out, it feels the perfect size.

So, let us know what you think!
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:29 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Hold it - you don't get off that easy. Initial thoughts? Awesome? You can do better.
Tell us what you really think? Go for it! Pat
Hahahahaha, busted! Ok, so it towed really nicely. It came with a ProSeries weight distribution and anti sway, but I need a longer shank for more drop, so I didn't use the weight distribution bars. It still towed really nicely with a 2015 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi with 3.21 gears - 13 mpg. Backing is really easy and no issues there.

The awning had a broken claw on the arm when I got it, so that was a $20 replacement claw and a 10 minute fix. The awning is fairly easy to extend, but that little tool isn't much use. I got a step stool to just turn the knobs by hand to release it. Use the tool just for the little travel latch.

The furnace worked great. It was 27 degrees outside and nice and toasty inside. The one thing I forgot about was the water hose from the spigot to the trailer - that froze. Luckily nothing broke - just didn't have running water for a few hours in the morning until it warmed up outside.

I didn't use the water pump, though it is a little bit loud. I also have a very small leak on the outlet side of the water pump, so I'll need to fix that. Hooked up to city water connection, water back-flowed into the fresh water tank. After 24 hours hooked up to city water, the fresh water tank became 1/4 full. I plan on just putting a hand turn valve in the outlet side of the water pump and that should fix both the leak and the problem of back flow into the fresh water tank.

The dinette is not comfortable in any configuration except as a bed, and even then I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make the cushions all fit together in a flat bed without any gaps. Finally just wedged some of the cushions into the ends so that there were no gaps in the cushions on the sleeping surface.

I haven't used it enough to know if there is enough storage. Certainly for two people and short trips there is more than enough storage.

The shower is small, and I think the shower door is installed upside down. The labels are upside down looking at it, and the label that says "push to release" is on the outside of the shower door rather than inside. Still works fine, just a curiosity.

Black and gray tanks are easy to reach and easy to dump. The black tank flush is broken and just sprays water inside the cabinet under the bathroom sink. I'll need to fix that. I think it's a broken back-flow preventer.

The bed is extremely firm. I mean, like concrete-firm. I bought a cheap foam mattress pad and cut it to size. That made a world of difference. The bed is a bit small. I'm 6'0" and my feet just barely hang off the end. And the person sleeping against the outside wall better be short because of the curve at the front of the trailer. Otherwise, it's very comfy.

Overall, it's a great trailer. It sat in one spot for several years and didn't get fully used, so I have a few things to repair in it. The previous owner just didn't use everything and probably didn't even notice that they were malfunctioning/broken (water back flow into fresh water, broken black tank flush, etc). But nothing major for a 5 year old trailer. All of the repairs look relatively simple and I enjoy reading the Airforums and listening to everybody's advice and different ways to fix the issues.

Thanks for the encouragement! Sometimes I just stand outside and just stare at it in my driveway! hahaha

Ryan
Old 11-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #8
CAB & DAB

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Brenham , Texas
As a new 23D owner also thought I would chime in a bit.
Picked up a new 2017 FC in September, she has ben on 3 short trips and one longer (about 4000 mile) adventure. I tow with an Armada, Blue Ox Sway pro and as most of us carry more than I use! Even over a couple of 12,000 ft. passes she tows very well and is easy to manage and back into tight spots. The layout is great for me, for one or two it is great, even with a couple of grandkids thrown is it still works out just fine. The awnings are easy to use but I do wish the right side could be just partially extended, 3 feet or so for a quick rain cover over the door.
Things I want to add or modify include a total battery disconnect switch, the counter space improvement like Rob put on their 23D Fortune Cookie, and pull handles on some of the lower doors, like the pair under the pantry ~ they make great additional storage spots! I have only had a few maintenance issues, a couple of interior rivets popped (very easy to replace yourself) a few adjustments to cabinet doors etc. but in all am very happy with it, it is big enough to spend extended time inside when the weather turns bad but small enough to fit in tight spots and easy to maneuver. One of the changes for 2017 was 15 inch wheels and 12 inch brakes instead of the 10 inch on the earlier models, the bigger brakes are well worth it, especially in the mountains, would be a good up-grade.

In short the 23D is a great travel companion!

Have fun with yours
dbdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
x2 on the counterspace improvement mod!
Old 11-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
So I took the 23D on it's first real camping adventure last weekend. We just went to a local state park.

Awesome Awesome Awesome! A huge step up from my previous expandable trailer. Can't wait for spring to take it out more regularly!
Congratulations on the 23D... here's wishing many, many great times with it!

We've had our 23D for not-quite-a-year, even so, we have logged considerable miles and days/nights with it... it is perfect for us. We had a 17' Casita for six years and had a great time with it. I 'modded' the thing pretty significantly (photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57626742329244 )

So, after that time in the Casita seems enormous to us! The layout works with our camping (!) style, heck, we often just go out to the driveway and sit in it.

Anyway, not being able to leave much of anything alone, I have done a few 'mods' to make our 23D work even better for us. Here's a list of somethings we particularly like (photos below):

1. Constructed a Formica-faced additional work surface for the kitchen. It self-stores inside the slide-out 'pantry.'

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1151.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	276177

Name:	IMG_1155.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	276178

Name:	IMG_1156.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	276179

2. Since we are 'separate sleepers' in an RV, I did an easy mod to allow me to use the front bed without having to fiddle with the backrest cushions. Simple 'spacers' level-up the bed base, so I can pull out the base and slide out the lower cushions and have the 34" wide bed nearly instantly.

Name:	IMG_1050.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	276180

Name:	IMG_1051.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	276181

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #11
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Couple more:

3. The lower 'porthole window' in the bathroom could not be in a more, shall we say 'immodest' place. I fixed that by cutting a piece of 1/4" thich frosted plexiglass and edging it with rubber trim so that it is a press-fit into the window frame opening. Perfect.

Name:	IMG_1031.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	276182

4. Cut a 5" hole in the factory supplied sink cover, rounded over the edges. Now, the faucet can be used with the sink cover in place. Super convenient.

Name:	IMG_0878.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	276183

Name:	IMG_0879.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	276184

5. Wasn't happy with the aluminum supports for the curb side seat showing. Made a simple padded panel to cover that area. It's covered with marine vinyl, 'vanilla' color) Held to the supports with Velcro.

Name:	_DSC5231.1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	276187

Old 11-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Those are some really good ideas! I've seen some of them previously by just searching "23D" and stumbling upon your posts, but I really like the sink cover mod. What did you use to cut the hole?

Ryan
Old 11-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #13
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
Those are some really good ideas! I've seen some of them previously by just searching "23D" and stumbling upon your posts, but I really like the sink cover mod. What did you use to cut the hole?

Ryan
Thanks, Ryan, for your kind compliments; I really enjoy doing this kind of stuff... and I watch the Forum carefully for great ideas from others that I can use.

So, I used a 5" hole saw in my drill press. Then I rounded-over the cut edges using a 1/8" radius bit on my router table. Hey, send me yours and I'll do it for you

Also, always store your sink cover flat. A friend's sink cover warped a bit from being stored 'leaning' in a closet.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I was just in Dallas 3 days ago. I could have brought the sink cover with me!

Ryan
Old 11-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Yep.
That is just the beginning of many adventures.
I just made camping reservations for December 9-11 at a Corps of Engineers campground just over an hour from home and for November 8-11 at a state park for a rally.
I usually have about 9 camping reservations made going out at least 1 year, sometimes more.
Silver trailer rolling-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Why wait until Spring, Ryan? You can plan all kinds of Winter trips from your location. Have fun and enjoy the camping!
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
One of the best mods we did on our 2014 23D Intl. was to replace the dinette foam with a firm commercial grade. Much better, especially if you work at your dinette.

Our 2017 25FB Intl. came with firm foam. Airstream apparently listened to me.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Great thread and congrats on your first maiden voyage! We recently brought home our 23D middle of September and had a blast on our first trip that we just got back from our 3rd trip. We've just recently winterize her and wished we could go on more trips but life's a bit different here for us in the PNW

I could go on and on about our voyage but this is your horn to toot so I won't hijack it lol. Love all the great mod post and ideas on here and can't wait to hear/read your mods.

Safe travels!
i2oadRunnei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
Why wait until Spring, Ryan? You can plan all kinds of Winter trips from your location. Have fun and enjoy the camping!
Well if I can find something to do, I'll definitely take it out. But most of the things I like to do are warm weather activities, and they need to be quick weekend trips. That limits me pretty much. Trust me, if I could find somewhere to take it and something to do, I'd be in it every weekend!
Old 11-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2oadRunnei2 View Post
Great thread and congrats on your first maiden voyage! We recently brought home our 23D middle of September and had a blast on our first trip that we just got back from our 3rd trip. We've just recently winterize her and wished we could go on more trips but life's a bit different here for us in the PNW

I could go on and on about our voyage but this is your horn to toot so I won't hijack it lol. Love all the great mod post and ideas on here and can't wait to hear/read your mods.

Safe travels!
Hijack it all you want! I love hearing other people's experiences!