Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. T View Post
I don't think Zlee will have too much to worry about if Can Am are sorting her out. They wouldn't let her off the lot without making sure she was set up absolutely.
Hello, Mrs. T! I think you're absolutely right!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
34 mpg towing a bambi with an F350 diesel? This is a typo right? Either that or this really is some kind of "superchip".
If it isn't a typo, that's going to be my next TV!

Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
In another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Mag Cloride or any of the other road salts! Yes, your new trailer has a clearcoat on it, but every little rock that jumps up and hits your trailer (snowplows?) can breach the surface enough for the salts to get in behind it. Salts are awful on aluminum* and will corrode things faster than you can imagine.
Here's what happens with salt & Airstreams. Unfortunately, it's irreversable.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Here's what happens with salt & Airstreams. Unfortunately, it's irreversable.
The fearsome filiform! I hate mag chloride already, I suspect it'll be a lot more once I pick up the Bambino. To make it worse, it's a 2008, and I understand that's about ground zero for filiform problems. I'll be inspecting the trailer carefully for it when I get there, too.

CanAm has assured me there'll be a good waxing on it when I leave and I'll probably wash it on the way back at least once, then maybe wax it again once I'm back home. Then I'm running away to the west coast, and then of course I'll be worrying about sea air. More wax! More wax!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #45
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
I kid you not on the 34 mpg. I have a 2000 F-350 diesel that is beat to crap from being abused on our farm. I guess she knows she has to put out so we keep her. My A/S is only 16' and it is physically shorter than my truck. When I go 62 mph and follow a semi, I get 34 mpg all day long with the superchip. I even use the superchip wrong...you are supposed to put it in tow mode, but I keep it in regular gas saving mode and still tow because the trailer is a peanut compared to pallets of soybeans that she is used to hauling. This truck is so good that I've spent the money to repaint her sides and I've just replaced a bunch of the suspension parts. I've sunk a lot into her, but she's tested tried true and Ford tough. Ok, when it is windy, I've only gotten 27 mpg. Hard to believe, but true. I'm bringing this whole rig set up to Petoskey for the "Exploring Under the Bridge" rally and I'll reset my dash computer when I leave my house because seeing is believing!

Mellen60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Wow, I'm getting one of those when mine gives up the ghost.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Z... I'm curious, why not have your BF land at Detroit Metro? It's just over the border from Canada,right on your way and I'm sure there are flights from overseas there. Then you can avoid the whole Chi-town mess, and have smooth sailing from there without all the traffic hassles.
Barry
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
Z... I'm curious, why not have your BF land at Detroit Metro? It's just over the border from Canada,right on your way and I'm sure there are flights from overseas there. Then you can avoid the whole Chi-town mess, and have smooth sailing from there without all the traffic hassles.
Barry
I think he booked the trip and couldn't find a flight into Detroit -- we did want to do that originally! It's true that would have worked better for me. But it's okay, I'm going to try and get in there earlier and actually get into the Field Museum, I've been trying for a couple of years to get back in there.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
'Field Museum'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
I think he booked the trip and couldn't find a flight into Detroit -- we did want to do that originally! It's true that would have worked better for me. But it's okay, I'm going to try and get in there earlier and actually get into the Field Museum, I've been trying for a couple of years to get back in there.
I grew up in Detroit during the 1940s. One of my favorite places that my parents took me to was Greenfield Village. Is the Field Museum the one in the same?
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
I grew up in Detroit during the 1940s. One of my favorite places that my parents took me to was Greenfield Village. Is the Field Museum the one in the same?
Neil
I shoulda have googled Greenfield Village before assuming by todays trend to shorten everything. Obviously I erred. My bad.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
LOL - no biggie, Neil. I wouldn't mind stopping in Detroit, actually...did you see that book on the abandoned buildings of Detroit? I don't know if they're still abandoned, but that'd be a sight to see.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
If they are in Detroit, they are still there , with many more added. That is if they haven't been burned or razzed.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Mellen60

I am still skeptical of the 27/34 mpg towing your Bambi. Has your dash computer been verified with actual miles traveled divided by gas consumed.

Zlee

If you and others have not seen Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan I highly recommend it.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #54
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Dan, Dan, Dan...don't burst my bubble. My old girl hasn't had any work done on her computer and I actually like living in denial. If it reads 34 mpg then that works for me. You are probably right but I'm sticking to maintaining a "need to know" basis with my truck and I don't need to know. Silly, isn't it? Honestly, though, I should find out and now your suggestion is going to be gnawing at me. If it is true, then woot-woot, drinks are on me!

Zlee, if you decide to hit the Henry Ford Museum in Greenfield Village, let me know and I'll meet you down there for a tour and some lunch. They have the car that Kennedy was shot in, Abe Lincoln's Ford Theatre Chair, the bus that Rosa Parks protested on, and so much more. It isn't huge like the Chicago museums but it is quality. If you stick to running down I-69 from the Bluewater Bridge, then maybe we can meet up near Flint, MI. I'd love to see your new baby! 810.241.4224 Kelly

Mellen60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellen60
Zlee, if you decide to hit the Henry Ford Museum in Greenfield Village, let me know and I'll meet you down there for a tour and some lunch. They have the car that Kennedy was shot in, Abe Lincoln's Ford Theatre Chair, the bus that Rosa Parks protested on, and so much more. It isn't huge like the Chicago museums but it is quality. If you stick to running down I-69 from the Bluewater Bridge, then maybe we can meet up near Flint, MI. I'd love to see your new baby
Ooooh, so tempting -- how much can I squash into Monday through Thursday? I purposefully left a lot of time for that first leg to get comfy with towing. We'll DEFINITELY meet up, Kelly! Lots is going to depend on weather, of course. (A little snow, no biggie. Ice, lots bigger problem.)

Getting close now! Slogging through some packing today, but having to take timeout for a "squeee!" every so often...

Old 01-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
My brother's coming to Ontario from the UK later in the year and tried for a viable route via Detroit but gave up. Direct flights are not so common these days and there's no competition at all. My Brother settled on a direct flight to Toronto, mostly because it has three carriers running scheduled daily flights from the UK; they create some competition amongst themselves and therefore lower the fares.

Still, when you're on the other side of the pond looking over, there's not much to choose between Chicago, Detroit or Toronto so I can understand Zlee's man's thinking.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Yeah, that was pretty much it, Mr. Toad--he figured at least Chicago was on my way, where Toronto would be the exact other direction. Not that I ever mind visiting Toronto, either!

Old 01-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Mellen60

Now I remember, you have one of those super duper 7.3L diesels, so 34 mpg is definatly possible. Sorry about that. I forgot.

Zlee

Sounds like you are still going- "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead". I will be sending good travel karma your way and I know that there will be lots of Airstream help along the way on your route, so whatever you need to deal with, I am sure that you will be fine.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan
Sounds like you are still going- "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead". I will be sending good travel karma your way and I know that there will be lots of Airstream help along the way on your route, so whatever you need to deal with, I am sure that you will be fine.
Thanks Dan! Yes, regardless of the weather, I still have to pick up my partner in Chicago. We'll get the hitch work done at the very least and have the trailer with us at the very least, and we're prepared for hopefully anything! (touch wood!)

Zina

Old 01-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #60

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Are you going through Nebraska or Kansas? If you come by this way we have extra rooms or driveway with 20 amp for the heat strip and furnace. I remember my trip to pick up our Bambi. 1200 miles one way to Williamsburg VA! It was great until I was 300 miles from home and got into an ice/snow storm! When I got home my nerves were shot but I had a martini waiting for me! . PM me if you come by KC, we have easy highway access. We're happy for ya!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote