Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
First Timers to AZ, Quartzsite, NM and ....

We will be in Quartzite on Sat Jan 17 and we will be staying out in AZ, NM for 6-10 weeks. Some questions I'm hoping you seasoned folks can answer:

Will we be able to still find a boondocking site in Quarzite, and if we have to camp at a location too far to walk to the Tent, how is vehicle parking near the tent?

Is camping on the North Rim out of the question in Jan/Feb? If the weather forecast is ok for a week, does it historically get bad real quick? Cold is ok, ice and heavy snow are my concerns.

We will be back in 2016 for a much longer stay, so this is a chance to explore, so any other great places to see/camp would be appreciated.

Thanks, John
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
All of southern AZ south of the Mogollon Rim and southern CA, there are many, many options. Go to Allstays.com for selection of campsites. Southern NM can get darn cold so check for weather fronts. The road to the North Rim of GC is closed til May.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
John. We will be off to Quartzite, AZ after mid January. Plan to browse the venders and how the BLM operates their "camping permits". The first time we went through was in the 20th century and things have improved considerably since then. We had a tent and left for Las Vegas.

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon (Crazy Jug Point in mind?) is high elevation and probably those roads are closed. Not where I would want to be for off the grid. There is not much there when it is warm. There is a Forest Service office near that area, so check with them or the RV Park right next door.

I have seen photographs of Magdalena, NM and Reserve, NM where the Spring snow is up to the roof tops. Late March and early April are an improvement at lower elevations, but getting in the 6,000 to 7,000 elevations can be risky. I have had an inch of snow in early April in the Gila Wilderness, but melts after the sun comes up and very pleasant after that.

I am hoping that this will be a warm... late winter in SW Arizona and Las Vegas. Two years ago, we cut the trip short in Tucson, AZ at the rock show and headed back to Castle Rock, Colorado a day before the snow hit.

Good luck. May see you around.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
After reviewing the BLM website and other Google searches, I understand their are both short term and long term camp area. Hate to assume, but my impression is that you can purchase a short term permit but camp in the long term area...anyone know if that is true?

Ray, hope to meet you out there.

John
Old 01-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEagle6 View Post
After reviewing the BLM website and other Google searches, I understand their are both short term and long term camp area. Hate to assume, but my impression is that you can purchase a short term permit but camp in the long term area...anyone know if that is true?

Ray, hope to meet you out there.

John
La Posa is the long term area south of town and requires a $180 permit for the season or $40 for 14 days. They have a dump station, trash bins, water, & some vault toilets.

The other areas (5 of them?) are free but have no services and just require simple check in with the camp host. They are limited to a 14 day stay. There are commercial sources for dump station and water in town.

Very quiet here last month, but the crowds are slowly coming in now. Lots of room though.

Cheers,
Steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
There's so much to see in AZ, you can't possibly get it all done in one trip. My advice is go slowly and enjoy things vs. running here and there. If you go to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon you will be fairly close to Lake Powell it is beautiful but mostly a summer venue but close by is Antelope Canyon and it's worth a trip by itself. Just Google Antelope Canyon and you see about reservations there are two upper and lower I'd suggest seeing both, they are native American Land so you have to make reservations. On you way south (towards Phoenix and the warm desert) make sure to stop and see Sedona and Montezuma's Castle (Nat'l Park) there both close together. If you have time visit Jerome also close by but you may want to plant the AS and just drive the TV to Jerome. Then there's Prescott also fun and a nice place to stay for a day or two. From there you can head south to the Phoenix area where there are lots of fancy RV resorts for all of the "snow birds". AZ is a beautiful state with tremendous diversity of sneery from the mountains of Flagstaff, high desert around Sedona, to the Sonoran Desert from PHX and south. There is something for everyone so I know that you'll enjoy your visit.
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Quartzsite

Note: It is spell Quartzsite (ZS). You could have problems searching if the "S" is left out.

Now that the cold snap appears over in SoCal and AZ I will be heading down I-5 (in California speak it is "the I-5") from Seattle to Quartzsite. I stay in the La Posa LTVA just south of town along Old Yuma Road. I am bringing my ATV 4-wheeler for greater mobility. I've jotted down several trailer descriptions and will try to find you.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I usualy go to Quartzsite the third week of January. I park in a free area north of town on Hwy 95 off Plomosa Rd (six miles from town). There is always plenty of space. A campground host is across the street. A septic pumper drives through the site periodically. I have seen a fresh water truck only once. You might have to order it up from town. There are RV dumps and fresh water in town.
Parking around the big tent is difficult to find, but you might get lucky. I have always managed to find a place within walking distance. If you have an ATV or a FWD, there may be space in the dry river bed.
Be prepared for any kind of weather including high wind. The big tent was closed one year for safety.
Good luck and have a great time.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Tupper Lake , New York
Another great boondocking place in Midland BLM, 12 miles north of Blythe, CA on the Midland Rd & 20 minutes to Quartzsite. My husband & I stayed here for almost a month after vending in Quartzsite. Great dispersed & quiet camping with mountains surrounding the area. There's a really nice & helpful community of people that return there every winter. It has a dump station & garbage disposal but no water. Water is available @ the town park, just ask the Campground Host for directions. We also highly recommend staying in Catalina State Park in Oro Valley, about 12 miles north of Tucson AZ. There's a dry camping area with great CG hosts which has the best views of the beautiful Catalina mountains. Don't forget the Alumafesta is in Tucson January 27, 2015 - February 1, 2015. The Marketplace w/ abundant shopping is just 10 minutes from Catalina State Park. Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood is central to Jerome, Sedona, & next door to Montezuma's Castle. Hope this is helpful.
Safe Travels,
Julie
Diesel75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

My daughter was there 2 days ago

Some highways and roads near Grand Canyon were closed due to a foot of snow. She said there weren't many people in Quartzsite. Not very helpful as that will be old news in 2 weeks
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Three Rivers , California
Boondocking available all over the Southwest area of Quartzsite. Not within walking distance of Tents. Martin Luther King weekend is very busy but if patient, you can find parking in the area of the tents.
You will need to register for boondocking but it does not cost anything. Limited days to camp out there, but you can move anywhere you want. It is all open wherever you want.
Dump Station is on Highway 95 not too far after turning North from the Signal. Have fun...
AIR #17571
chapparel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
I will be at the Alumifiesta in Tucson. When I leave there I want to go north on I 17 to Flagstaff and then back to Alabama on I 40. This way I will see new sites and will not back track on I 10. I want to know about I 17. What info can you give me? This will be first week of February. Is there anything to stop and see along I 17? Thanks in advance!
LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is & 2200 generator
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
First Timers to AZ, Quartzite, NM and ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Tom View Post
I will be at the Alumifiesta in Tucson. When I leave there I want to go north on I 17 to Flagstaff and then back to Alabama on I 40. This way I will see new sites and will not back track on I 10. I want to know about I 17. What info can you give me? This will be first week of February. Is there anything to stop and see along I 17? Thanks in advance!

Hi Lucky Tom,
We will be in Arizona during Alumafiesta but have not yet decided on full pkg. with five nights and all the activities. Have you attended prior Alumafiesta? What ticket optios would you advise for first timers and why?
Thanks
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
While in the Quartzsite area you might enjoy going to the river. The Colorado is in that western part of the state. I really enjoyed a stay in Buckskin State Park right along the riverside. North of Parker. It is quite popular in the winter, but if you can get a booking I'm pretty sure you will like it.
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #15
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
FCloud9, I am also a beginner. This is only the second rally, we were in Florida panhandle for Canopener 2014. We are signed up for the duration, but have not added anything extra. Will have to look and see what our options are. My wife and I are recently retired and want to experience the Airstream lifestyle. (but not full time)

The rallies seem to be a good chance to do so, meet people, and see this great country while we enjoy our Airstream. We chose the Airstream path because we have a white Siberian Husky we take with us. The only concern we have about coming back through Flagstaff and I 40 is the winter storms and bad road conditions. Even with a 4x4 TV we do not want to push our luck when it comes to hazardous road conditions. I will check on the side trips we can sign up for. (if not too late)
Tom
LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is & 2200 generator
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
All great suggestions, thanks much. We will investigate them all. Initially we'll stay in Quartzsite for about a week then head south to Yuma, then back up to Joshua Tree for a few days. Like to head north through the Mojave National Preserve and then over to Lake Havasu. We'll also explore the Sedona area. Weather permitting, we still want to get to GC. We have until the first week in Feb, then we want to head over to New Mexico for a month. I'm sure there will be many changes.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
I am in the BIG Q and the BIG tent went up yesterday.I go to all sites in the BIG Q at 9 AM before every one get there, then parking is not a problem by 11AM it is in some areas.
Like said before north rim is closed.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
We arrived in Deming NM today and will get to Quartzsite on Thursday after lunch. We hope to get a spot at the BLM south of the tent on the west side of the north/south road through Quartzsite. Looking forward to anyone who is out there!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We arrived in Tucson today!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote