Old 12-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1949 18' Trailwind
Huntsville , Alabama
First Time Out!!!!!

My wife and I picked up a vintage airstream in Florida back in July. Flat bedded it to Alabama and I stored it there until September. We wrapped up our jobs in Minnesota and headed down to Alabama to work on the trailer for a few weeks to get it in towable condition. We had three weeks to do it so we replaced the floor, took out the pipe frame and reinforced the frame by adding all sorts of support steel until I was satisfied. We repacked the hubs and inspected the axle and all looked ready to rock. We got brand new tires for it, took it on a test run and started making our trek out to California where I would be doing a framebuilding (bicycle) course with a friend. The first day on the road is always the most stressful for me. Constantly checking the rear view mirror and side mirrors making sure everything is rolling right. I won't go into all the details of where we camped but I have to say that we had the most incredible time of our lives!!!!! It was so cool to be pulling that airstream behind our truck and not to mention how cheap gas was for us there and back to Alabama. The only issue we had was when we are headed out of Los Angeles (hate that damned place) and we hadn't realized that our license tag had flown off somewhere in our travels and we were pulled over by the CHP!!! We explained to him what had happened and showed him out paperwork etc and then he went on to preach about proper mirrors which I thought was a bit off. He said "I can't give you a ticket but I strongly recommend you get that tag back on in Alabama" Funny thing about it was that he took me out of the vehicle and asked me to open the trailer up so he could inspect it all the while dropping in some curious questions to me. He was like "what year is this thing?", "where'd you get it?
and "what are you going to do with it?" He stayed pretty serious but there was something that had really caught his attention. Anyway, he cut us loose and sped after somebody else so we kept it slow and moved on.
Again, we are so happy to have this trailer and look forward to restoring it over the next months. We were so giddy to camp in that thing even though we slept on a blow up bed and kept warm with a school bus heater. It made it all the merrier to have a bit of wine and watch a movie on our computer as the rain came down and we were dry as could be. No leaks!! Pretty good for a 60 year old camper. Many memories were made in a short amount of time and we can't wait to work on it some more and see more of this beautiful country we live in. I even love the thought of just knowing it's outside waiting for more adventure. Thanks forums for being helpful and pushing us to get out and enjoy ourselves. We may not have a $30,000 rig but we were able to pull our little trailer around the US without any trouble at all and we enjoyed ourselves all the way (did I say that already?) As a newbie that is new to the airstream'in life I say get out there and camp no matter what the economy does!!! We always know that no matter how bad things get we now have a house on wheels that we can live in if it comes to that. I've said enough now so check out our blog for more stories and fun.
Thx, B (notice: no tag :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4737.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	769.9 KB
ID:	72374  

Benjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Very cool picture... more to come I hope?!?!

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
WBCCI # 1962
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Gypsygirl1 and Hubby
1959 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Ontario
Congratulations ! !

Good for you -- fearlessly heading out on the road.. We're planning to start our 5 month journey in the U.S. at the end of Jan. Heading from here, Ont Canada, to eventually end up in CA. It's great fun travelling with a vintage trailer!!
Gypsygirl1 and Hubby
1959 A/S Tradewind Landyacht 24ft (the traveller)
1952 Royal Spartanette 35ft (summer home)
1954 Pacemaker 32 ft (summer guesthouse)
Tin Can Tourists Vintage Trailer Club
gypsygirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I think I'd pull ya over too. I think more than just the lost tag. He was really curious as to what that thing was goin down his highway. Congrats on your new to U trailer.
Have fun.
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
Awe shucks --- your blog has me all welled-up. You've given a good details of the personality of you *cherry*. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your restoration.
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Great looking rig! Congratulations. I hope you have many great Airstream adventures in the "Old Guy". It sure is neat to see a sixty year old Airstream on the road again.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Great post! Here's to another 60 years of Airstreaming adventures!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Man the only things missing from that picture are a copule of chairs and a cooler of cold beer. Great story...and you're only just beginning.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
1949 18' Trailwind
Huntsville , Alabama
the cold beer came soon after we found a nice place to camp down in santa monica. hit the spot. like my pawpaw says all the time "it don't get no better than this, son"
Benjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Great Story - keep it rolling straight, be safe and post more fun to read stories. It keeps us still in the rat race alive to hear these adventures.

Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote