Old 04-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
First stop - Fredericksburg, TX

This is a small, old german town west of Austin. I met up with 8 other rigs that I will travel with to Davis Mtns and then on to Big Bend. The town survives on tourisim, so its full of antiques and restaurants. I live a short drive, and ave been here many times before. So, nothing for me to see here, wrong. One of our group found an Italian painter who has his ranch an gallery nearby. The guy's name is Benini, and if any of you own one of his works you are a lucky person.

He lets artists place their work on the land. So as you drive through you will see it in the middle of no where.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Benini Ranch Hand.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	554.9 KB
ID:	58061

I was surprised to see so many fingers. We go arond a corner and I'llry a have to figure out what's keeping me from uploading. Dang. Nice pics and can't share. I'll try again.

__________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thanx for the heads-up. That's a place we'll have to check out.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Thanx for the heads-up. That's a place we'll have to check out.
Yes, it's very enjoyable. Their website is Benini: Contemporary Paintings and Sculpture If I ever get to a place with enough bandwidthh I'll post more pics.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
The foundation/ranch is a pretty amazing place - highly recommend a tour. What seems random in sculpture placement, really is not. Everything is carefully thought out so as to add to each piece's significance to itself and surroundings. And of course, the hill country, especially this time of year, is a fine, fine place to visit!

Some of the work is phenomenal. His paintings are something else, too... I agree Tom, would be lucky indeed to own one of 'em!
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Eagle

We were fortunate to be able to seel this metal sculpture, It's been sold and was moved off of the ranch the day we were there. Add to the good fortune that the group was able to meet with this artist, who's from Lubbock, as well as Benini. Both were very interesting, and answered all of our questions.

Name:	Eagle Beak.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	58099

Name:	Eagle metal sculpture.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	775.1 KB
ID:	58100

The sculptor explained the process in creating this beautiful bird. He spent time at a bird sanctuary that had an eagle to see how it moved, and then studied the eagle anatomy to understand it's structure. He spent 3 months, 7 days a wekk, 10-12 hour days creating it. Very neat to hear the process to create this work.

_________Tom

Old 04-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Boy, another reason to visit Fredricksburg! We drove thru there on a December evening and the Christmas lights were amazing-both stories of every building on main street and so many light sculptures. I hear they have a great brew pub too. (Fredricksburg is one of the good things about our kids moving to Austin!)

Leslie
Old 04-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
The Fredericksburg-Stonewall area is a great place to visit. You are going to one of our favorite spots and that is the Davis Mts State Park. We have been there several times and always enjoy going back there. One day I hope that we can visit the Big Bend area.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe
The Fredericksburg-Stonewall area is a great place to visit. You are going to one of our favorite spots and that is the Davis Mts State Park. We have been there several times and always enjoy going back there. One day I hope that we can visit the Big Bend area.
Since I moved away, last century, things have changed some. We plan to visit Marfa, which I've been told is something of an artists colony. It even has a Prada store. I have no idea what they sell, but I do know that it's way overpriced. I'm going to take a picture of the storefront. Don't care to go in.

__________Tom

Old 04-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529
Since I moved away, last century, things have changed some. We plan to visit Marfa, which I've been told is something of an artists colony. It even has a Prada store. I have no idea what they sell, but I do know that it's way overpriced. I'm going to take a picture of the storefront. Don't care to go in.

__________Tom

Actually, it's not so much a store, as it is art.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529

__________Tom
Not exactly a store - it's a replica of a Prada store from 2005, done as as a piece of art by Michael Elmgreen & Ingar Dragset, so you wont be able to buy anything....

Galleri Nicolai Wallner
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
The Adm. Nimitz museum is a nice visit in Fredricksburg, too... things are indeed expensive there. Big issue there is keeping out the chain stores downtown so as to keep the local flavor. Good idea imho.

Alpine-Marfa-Ft. Davis is one of our most favorite places, too. It's amazing to see what's happened to Marfa within the last several years since it was "discovered". Certainly alot of interesting (different) things there now. Great star gazing at night in that area, especially if you bring a telescope. McDonald observatory gives tours and lets you look through one of their smaller scopes. Pretty cool.

I suggested a rally to the state park (F.D.) under the Forums rally thread some time ago. Generated some interest... Would be fun to do a caravan from central Texas down I-10...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincrew
Boy, another reason to visit Fredricksburg! We drove thru there on a December evening and the Christmas lights were amazing-both stories of every building on main street and so many light sculptures. I hear they have a great brew pub too. (Fredricksburg is one of the good things about our kids moving to Austin!)

Leslie
The x-mas lights at Pedernales Electric in Johnson City (on the way to Fredericksburg from Austin) is the place to see at X-mas time, as well as the courthouse there...

Here's a clip found on youtube:
YouTube - Pedernales Electric Company Christmas Lights

And a pic found on the internet:
Christmas Lights - Pedernales Electric Company on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Each tree is wrapped top to bottom....
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Tom - I've only been to Fred'sburg a half zillion times (my place near Wimberley grows rocks, and my lawnmower repair guy is there, so . . . ) but never knew of the Benine Gallery!! I'll have to check that one out. But I have spent HOURS in that brew pub on the main street - the food is good too. Glad to know ya'll are on the road!! How are you liking retirement?? I think I may already know the answer to that one.

Good to 'hear' from you - Jim
Old 04-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend@mom
Tom - I've only been to Fred'sburg a half zillion times (my place near Wimberley grows rocks, and my lawnmower repair guy is there, so . . . ) but never knew of the Benine Gallery!! I'll have to check that one out. But I have spent HOURS in that brew pub on the main street - the food is good too. Glad to know ya'll are on the road!! How are you liking retirement?? I think I may already know the answer to that one.

Good to 'hear' from you - Jim
Ok, everyone who can pronounce Pedernales raise your hand. I lived in Rollin’ Oaks for about 9 years. Driftwood mail, but Wimberley (can spell that too) phone book. Got my ’67 Trade Wind in San Marcos. The very beginning of Alluminitus.