Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Is yawl havin' fun at aur espnse?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
The Adm. Nimitz museum is a nice visit in Fredricksburg, too... things are indeed expensive there. Big issue there is keeping out the chain stores downtown so as to keep the local flavor. Good idea imho.

Alpine-Marfa-Ft. Davis is one of our most favorite places, too. It's amazing to see what's happened to Marfa within the last several years since it was "discovered". Certainly alot of interesting (different) things there now. Great star gazing at night in that area, especially if you bring a telescope. McDonald observatory gives tours and lets you look through one of their smaller scopes. Pretty cool.

I suggested a rally to the state park (F.D.) under the Forums rally thread some time ago. Generated some interest... Would be fun to do a caravan from central Texas down I-10...
Hmmm, I had no idea Marfa had become such a cultural Mecca in recent years. My dad was born and raised in Alpine, and I spent many summer weeks as a kid hanging out there with my Grandpa, wandering around all areas of the Davis Mountains. They are indeed a really nice place to do some camping. When my Grandpa passed away, my dad sold all the property and I haven't been back since, though I really miss it sometimes.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
No kidding... kind of like "man-cha-ca" vs. "manchack"... "BurNET" vs. "Burnit"...

Yup, times are a'changin' 'round here... That's OK. Easier to spot.

Vaughn, you wouldn't believe what Driftwoods' like now...
"It's Burn-it dern-it cantcha lern-it?" That's how I used to correct all of the yankees and Californians.

Now I don't even bother, like you said, makes 'em easier to spot.

Times they are indeed a'changin'.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake315
Hey now - don't forget about "Kaynig" Lane, crossing "Burnit!"

I've driven up "Manshack" a time or two, and "BalCOnees"
Don't forget to order some Gwok-a-moley on Gwad-a-loop.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Don't forget to order some Gwok-a-moley on Gwad-a-loop.
Aw, shoot fire! I fergot about the Gwad-a-loop! For a native Austinite like myself to forget that - why, it's a gawl-darned gin-u-wine 'Merican tragedy.

Oh, and Cypress Creek Cafe in Wimberley has an awesome pan-fried CFS.

Sorry, Tom - for hijacking your thread.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Prude Ranch

Dave, not a problem. It's fun noticing the changes. We're at Prude Ranch now. Temps are in the low 80's in the mtns, and the evenings are in the high 40's. There's a 3/4 moon that lights up the landscape. A lot of dejavu going on here.

We went to Marfa and looked at a lot of scrap iron called art, and a bunch of boxes made of aluminum as well. I'll take Benini Ranch's style of art. From Marfa I went over to Alpine. Egads they actually have a Sonic inside the city limits. Went over to my favorite saddle shop and admired their leather work. They've gone upscale with a website and everything. The Sul Ross campus remains unchanged. All the student apartments are still there. The ride back to the ranch really brought back memories. I drove that hwy every day during the week for just shor of a year.

I've got to upload the pictures to the computer, and then i'll see whhat's fit for posting. Off to the old fort tomorrow, and a broom shop.

I did something stupider than normal, and my slide-out seems to be off track, but I'll post that on a seperate thread.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529
Dave, not a problem. It's fun noticing the changes. We're at Prude Ranch now. Temps are in the low 80's in the mtns, and the evenings are in the high 40's. There's a 3/4 moon that lights up the landscape. A lot of dejavu going on here.

We went to Marfa and looked at a lot of scrap iron called art, and a bunch of boxes made of aluminum as well. I'll take Benini Ranch's style of art. From Marfa I went over to Alpine. Egads they actually have a Sonic inside the city limits. Went over to my favorite saddle shop and admired their leather work. They've gone upscale with a website and everything. The Sul Ross campus remains unchanged. All the student apartments are still there. The ride back to the ranch really brought back memories. I drove that hwy every day during the week for just shor of a year.

I've got to upload the pictures to the computer, and then i'll see whhat's fit for posting. Off to the old fort tomorrow, and a broom shop.

I did something stupider than normal, and my slide-out seems to be off track, but I'll post that on a seperate thread.

________Tom
A Sonic in the Alpine city limits, eh? Zounds! Last time we were there we lunched at Edelweiss - was pretty good! Seems to me they were doing some kind of construction at Sul Ross when we were through there... maybe I'm thinking of some place else... We went over for the evening to Marfa and saw the "alien headlights" as well. I found that particular experience to be sort of a letdown, but it was more than made up for by the scores of jackrabbits lining the highway between there and Ft. Davis. We were like "What the heck?!" and kept worrying about them darting out in front of the truck. Then it finally dawned on us what was going on; we were there in July two years ago, and they'd had a lot less rain than usual (not that they get much to begin with), but it was bad enough that Davis Mtns. S.P. had a complete burn ban. Anyhow, what little rain they did get that landed on the highways funneled naturally to the shoulders, since it couldn't soak into the asphalt. This made the grass immediately adjacent to the roadways virtually the only lush, leafy green substance for at least a few hundred square miles. So these jackrabbits weren't worrying about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence (road, in this case), they were more than content staying right where they were, and so were we! Still a pretty surreal experience, though!

The old fort there at Ft. Davis is pretty cool - last time I was there they had done some more with the old hospital and the officers' quarters - and it was looking pretty good. Also got a meal at the Hotel Limpia there in town. Mighty tasty, and my wife was so impressed, she bought their cookbook!

We're going to try for another trip out there this next summer when it starts getting too hot here. Highs in the 80's to low 90's during the day, and 50's at night definitely appeals over the humidity and above-century mark temps here in Austin!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
I'm going to try to upload some pictures I've taken so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Prude Ranch1.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	58494

This is the entrance to Prude Ranch. It's been around since the late 19th century, and currently there are 5 generations now on the ranch. I visited with the head of the family, John Robert, and we remembered my times on the ranch.

Name:	Good Ferral Hog.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	58495

A ferral hog about 75 yards away from the trailers. Need to keep the trash contained.

Name:	Box Art Marfa.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	58491

This was in Marfa at the Jordan Art foundation's showrooms on the old Army base. The rest are of the same.

Name:	Box Art2 Marfa.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	58492

Name:	Box Art3 Marfa.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	58493

I was hoping to find a triangle in there somewhere, none to be found.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Army Barracks Marfa.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	484.0 KB
ID:	58490  

Old 04-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
I suggested a rally to the state park (F.D.) under the Forums rally thread some time ago. Generated some interest... Would be fun to do a caravan from central Texas down I-10...
Depending on what time of the year you were thinking about it, I think we'd be game. Probably wouldn't happen for us until next year though - trailer's in major refit mode right now... We're going to shoot for sort of a "dry run" shakedown in July to Buckhorn Lake, then Thanksgiving week in South Llano River S.P. In between those two will be some Port "A" trips for trout and reds.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Enchanted Rock State Park

While you're visiting Fredericksburg, or if you plan to pass back through, I would highly recommend stopping by Enchanted Rock State Park located on FM 965. There are signs in town pointing the way to the park. Unfortunately there are no trailer hook-ups. Tent camping is available. There is also a small parking lot behind the ranger station that might accommodate a rig to two for a short stay. I would call the park before hand to see if this might be possible before making reservations through the State office. The park: 915-247-3909.

The park encompasses just over 1,640 acres, containing the second largest batholith in the United States and the third largest in the world. Only Mt. Uluru in Austrialia and Stone Mountain in Georgia are larger. If you like rock climbing, as I do, E-Rock as it is called, is a favored spot among Texas rock climbers. The park is also a great destination for those with less extreme tastes and offers lots of easy and challenging hiking, bouldering and scenic exploration. Hiking to the top of Main Dome is a must-do if you have a morning or afternoon to spare!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Davis Mountains

Went over to the Macdonald Observatory and drove the scenic loop around back into Ft Davis. It's still a great drive. Here are some of what I saw today.

Name:	DSC_0041.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	720.5 KB
ID:	58588

Name:	DSC_0045.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	869.4 KB
ID:	58589

Name:	DSC_0047.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	1,020.5 KB
ID:	58590
Diesel fuel in Ft Davis was 4.38 a gallon. But they've got good ice cream!

__________Tom

Old 04-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #32
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Tom, Great photos of Ft. Davis & surrounds... I'm thinking we need a centex caravan out there...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Tom, Great photos of Ft. Davis & surrounds... I'm thinking we need a centex caravan out there...
If it happens attempts should be made to book the state park. They have full hookups, and is the nicest park in the area. There's a guy there that makes brooms - it's pretty neat to watch.

My wife wants to go there, but the only time she'll have will be her short Fall break. Just have to see how things fall out.

______Tom

Old 05-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
More Hill Country

From an adopted Texan just down the road from F'Burg:

The Texas wine country kinda springs up just east of Fredericksburg on Hwy 290, toward Johnson City. Even if you're not a wine fan, they have lots of little stores and cafes along this route, and some smile-making Texan culture to check out.

While our friends on the coasts will argue they have world class winery thing locked-up, the Mom & Pop wineries in the rolling hills, down a little narrow blacktop, inside a converted barn... well, for us that adds a lot to the whole experience factor. Good times enjoying local products in a little weinstube, telling stories, and soon to be for us - telling A/S stories.

We're big West Texas/Davis Mountains fans from the happy days with our very recently departed SOB unit. Glad to see so many comments about the whole Ft Davis/Marfa/Alpine region. Beautiful scenery, the biggest national park that never seems crowded (Big Bend). You just have to watch those long stretches between gas stations... well, at least with a medium-sized TV that holds just 22 gallons.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzo
While our friends on the coasts will argue they have world class winery thing locked-up, the Mom & Pop wineries in the rolling hills, down a little narrow blacktop, inside a converted barn... well, for us that adds a lot to the whole experience factor. Good times enjoying local products in a little weinstube, telling stories, and soon to be for us - telling A/S stories.

We're big West Texas/Davis Mountains fans from the happy days with our very recently departed SOB unit. Glad to see so many comments about the whole Ft Davis/Marfa/Alpine region. Beautiful scenery, the biggest national park that never seems crowded (Big Bend). You just have to watch those long stretches between gas stations... well, at least with a medium-sized TV that holds just 22 gallons.
You're going to really enjoy your Airstream, even with a short tank of fuel. There were several gassers riding with us, and they couldn't pass a gas station. My 44 gal diesel burner just kept going right on past. My fuel mileage, 13 mpg, probably wasn't all that much better than the gassers, but the extra fuel provided me the opportunity to fuel up after I unhooked.

Helotes, brings back memories of my early teen years. We'd all go to Floores Country Store for tamales, and to see if we could get a girl to dance with us. Good music, great old store.

Happy traveling.

________Tom