Old 05-20-2014, 11:33 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Thanks for sharing that adventure!
Next time will be less interesting I'll bet!....
annie

Old 05-21-2014, 05:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Over-tightened screws in cabinet doors

Pharmgeek heres an old carpenters trick from a retired carpenter. For screws that have been over tightened and thus the hole stripped. Remove the screw from the hole first. Then take a razor knife and a scrap piece of just about any 1x or 2x piece of lumber and shave off very small slivers of wood from the corners of the lumber. Take a sliver or two and gently tap it into the screw hole until it wont go in any further. Snap off the excess thats left hanging outside the hole and then carefully restart your screw back in the hole. The slivers will act as an anchor in the hole and expand to create a tight fit as you drive the screw back in. This works most of the time and i did it hundreds of times on the job. Simple... But effective

Old 05-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Pharmgeek heres an old carpenters trick from a retired carpenter. For screws that have been over tightened and thus the hole stripped. Remove the screw from the hole first. Then take a razor knife and a scrap piece of just about any 1x or 2x piece of lumber and shave off very small slivers of wood from the corners of the lumber. Take a sliver or two and gently tap it into the screw hole until it wont go in any further. Snap off the excess thats left hanging outside the hole and then carefully restart your screw back in the hole. The slivers will act as an anchor in the hole and expand to create a tight fit as you drive the screw back in. This works most of the time and i did it hundreds of times on the job. Simple... But effective

Nice! I'll give that a shot!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Magnetic key box under truck somewhere for the truck door key (mechanical key just for door, not Dodge electronic ignition module). Inside truck have the 3rd or 4th set of trailer keys........

That is more simple....I'm thinking
About it for sure

Old 05-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
What a great trip. Glad it went so well.

We only had one set of trailer keys with us on our shake down trip last weekend and I was worrying constantly about losing them. Second set is now stashed in the car.

I never let the car idle when there's nobody in the drivers seat. Too many bad things can happen, especially with kids about. Also in Ontario we have a "no idle" law, which has helped making this a habit.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Sounds like a typical trip I have, cept the key part. Nice pictures. On the AC, mine works good when I run it on high fan and about mid-point on the thermostat hot-cool knob. In other words, get the air flow as high as possible but keep it cycling the compressor more often. Pick an "on top" location for your key under the truck. My father had/has one of those key holders. Last year a neighbor just so happened to find a key in our back lot area walking their dog beside the road and thought it might be ours- it was his which had fallen off luckily in the yard of all places.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like you had a great first trip.

Doug was always a bit paranoid about locking us out of anything. Made sure the keys were in his hand whenever we shut the door.

Still adjusting to doing it all, I locked myself out of the car one of the first times I filled up the gas tank of our little car. The police here will pop your lock for you....and did for me.

Sand is part of enjoying beaches. You just deal with it. We are a shoeless house and also slip them off at the door of the Interstate. Helps immensely.

Might go for flip-flops and leave them outside. Keep a little hand-vac and just keep after it. If only I could teach Lily to wipe her feet.

Enjoy that weekend alone.

Maggie
Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"Sand is part of enjoying beaches. You just deal with it. We are a shoeless house and also slip them off at the door of the Interstate. Helps immensely. "

Yes, part of it was just acceptance lol...we pretty much have a no shoes/sandals policy...for the most part....but even as such, that gulf sand gets even on your feet or on the patio mat here and there, and on bare feet and track it in....

Once I got rid of the welcome mat just inside and kept floors clear...it got noticeably better...would just sweep out stuff 2-3 times per day which takes no more than 30 seconds....but the sheets on the bed always have a bit of grit on them...and once I just accepted that it stopped bothering me

I was goofing with my wife saying we needed a 2 or 3 stage decontamination system before entering the trailer....

Old 05-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
For the screws use the larger wooden matches a little dab of wood glue on the end push into hole break off the end and put the screw in. If you can wait about 30 minutes to let the glue dry is even better. The matches are just the right size for most striped screw holes. Tooth picks will work also just fill up the hole.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
This is the first line from my kids favorite "beach song".....

I love the Beach
'cause every time I go
I get sand in my sandwich and saltwater up my nose
Old 05-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Ladrum, hahaha, aint that the truth....crunch crunch...mmmmm

handyman, right, that seems like a great idea as well...thanks....I know I at least have toothpicks...not sure about matches...know I have a few 2x4's as well around I can work with getting slivers of wood as well...got some wood glue ready to go..

Old 05-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Wonderful photos and memories (and that's just the beginning!)
Old 05-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If you shave enough off those 2x4's you'll have some toothpicks to use if you need them.
works great. Some of these modern epoxy glues work too for filling screw holes. I have a cone shaped drill and some hardwood cones to glue in. You just do what you gotta do to fix it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
First "real" trip - Report - Topsail

Yup - just gotta also find my darn sonin moisture meter that I bought and seemingly lost somewhere in my house arrrrrrrrrrghhhhh