Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2006, 07:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
First real trip; real dumb mistake...

We picked up our Airstream on the New Year's weekend and had a short shakedown cruise. Last Thursday we took our first real trip, a 5-day trip to Big Sur about 200-miles from our home.

All seasons there are special and this one was no exception. A little too early for many wildflowers and the weather was overcast for part of the time, but we did get our first closeup look at a pair of California Condors, numbers 31 and 94, right beside the road. With my 200mm lens on a digital camera, it wasn't hard to capture ever pinfeather on the otherwise bald head and wrinkled necks of these amazing creatures.

Now for the dumb part. We arrived at the campground on Thursday afternoon but by Friday morning we had overfilled the grey water tank, all 37+ gallons!! We're still trying to figure out how we used so much water with just some dish washing, food prep, bathroom washups, and two showers each. My wife figures it was the time spent washing her hair. Any way, we had to hitch up and go over to the dump station.

It had rained quite a bit over night and the ground was all muddy beneath the redwood trees where we camped. We did a less than complete job breaking camp because it was only a short distance to the dump station. Piece of cake, right? Wrong!!

In my haste, I forgot to raise the jack stand on the electric front jack. As we pulled away I thought the load was too great but attributed that to the soggy ground and the usual extra effort that the Dodge exerts when first starting up. The automatic transmission seems to require moving a couple of hundred feet before it acts normally.

I suppose it was good that the ground was soft, because the circular bottom plate of the jack stand dug a trench for about two feet. By the time I had realized my mistake, it was too late to prevent the jack from bending about an inch from vertical. I made one feeble attempt to back up slightly in hopes of straightening out the jack, but figured that that might just make things worse, especially if the round pipe became oval-shaped.

It could have been worse. At least the jack goes up and down but the last six or eight inches of retraction put quite a bit of strain on the jack's motor. I see that the jack is rated at 3,500 pounds so I hope this will be okay. Perhaps someday we'll have to replace the entire unit, but we'd like to get some use of it first. I wonder if the drain on the battery will be a problem.

On the way back home, we stopped at Camping World and picked up a pair of bright orange jack pads. I figure that having that bright color under the jack will be enough of a visual clue to help me avoid making the same mistake again.

Now, if I can only remember to put the pad under the jack each time we stop!!!

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:08 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Glad you had a good trip other than the one oopsie. I have made a check off list to lower the risk of doing that sort of thing. Probally wont help much with me involved though

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:39 AM   #3
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I'm with Rodney. We have a "Departure Checklist" and an "Arrival Checklist". After 2 years of fultiming ... we still use them every time we move the trailer. It is soooo easy to forget something ... like a jackstand.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Yes, we have quite a complete checklist. Actually, two lists, one for exterior and one for interior.

Now, we need a checklist that lists the checklists!!

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 03-28-2006, 07:45 AM   #5
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Oh you mean the "its always somethin" checklist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
Yes, we have quite a complete checklist. Actually, two lists, one for exterior and one for interior.

Now, we need a checklist that lists the checklists!!
Not to be confused with the honey I told you so checklist...
Old 03-28-2006, 07:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Do a walk-around!

Checklists are one thing but nothing beats a last minute trailer "walk-around". The walk around only takes a few minutes but is worth it and it has saved us a few times. Our rule is, if the trailer is going to be moved (no matter how short a distance), we do a walk-around.

When we walk around the trailer we scan each side starting with the top of the trailer (checking roof vents and antenna), then down each side (checking stove vent, radio antenna, step, awnings, hitch and windows), and then under the trailer (checking for chock blocks, levelers, debris, belongings).

After I close up the inside of the trailer, I also do a "walk-thru" checking that cabinets and drawers are latched, etc. and that there is nothing left on the counter tops.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Two showers each from thursday pm until friday am ???? You guys are simply too CLean!!!! Without full hookups this will drive you crazy emptying tanks.
Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Mike, don't feel bad. Several years ago, in my haste to get back on the road after an over night stay in a rv park, I forgot to disconnect our power cord, as it was the only thing that I needed hooked up for the one night. Quite embarrassed draging the cord through the park
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:09 AM   #9
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Check List

Motorhomes are a little more complicated. My check list includes tv antennae, jacks, windows, and so on, but at the end I also include--- CHECK WIFE, DOG, CAT ON BOARD! See, she could be in the bath and so on,

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I know the feeling.

Did the same thing but with a flatbed trailer 2 years ago. We had moved and worked all night setting up the new house, had a trailer load of junk to get to the dump. Got in a hurry and bent the jack stand. Had to break out the torch and cut it off. No fun.

The PO had a laminated check list from the original owner in the trailer. I plan to use it as a template and update a few things that are not automatic for a novice AS owner.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:19 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Salem , Virginia
I'm leaving tomorrow mornig to pick up a 34'er.

Has anybody POSTED any of these checklists y'all are talking about??

Thanks.

Tom
tomcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

for all of us other NEWBIES how about posting some of these check lists. maybe we can all benifit from knowing what everyone else does...
dkutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:23 AM   #13
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I dont think this is the current one, but it gives an idea

Pre-Tow Check off
  • Power disconnected
  • Propane off
  • Double check propane tanks are secure
  • Water disconnected
  • Water tank empty or < 3gallons
  • Grey Tank empty
  • Awning secure
  • Windows closed and secured
  • Roof vents closed
  • Front window rock guard secured
  • All loose items stored, cabinet doors double checked
  • Trash emptied
  • Stabilizers removed
  • Rear compartment door secured
  • Running lights,
  • Brake lights
  • Turn signals
  • Chocks and levelers
  • Break away chains secured
  • Break away brake wire attached
  • Hitch ball locked
  • Sway bar attached
  • Weight distribution hitch correctly adjusted
  • Walk around
And now: Jack up

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:47 AM   #14
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hi Mike.

Sorry about your mishap. But maybe I can help with the gray tank thing.

Two showers, doing dishes, etc., can and will fill up your gray tank much quicker than you think. A question that I have for you is was the gray tank filled according to your tank monitor control panel, or did water start to back up in the shower? The reason I ask, is because a bunch of us that have newer AS's have very inacurrate tank monitor systems, showing that the tank is filled, when in fact it may not be. The tank monitors can be recalibrated, from what I've read here, but it sounds like a real PITA, and sometimes that doesn't work well, or the calibration doesn't hold.

Our black tank monitor shows that it is completely filled when I pour the first few gallons in the BT at the start of a camp-out. My method for checking fluid levels: BT- visual inspection down the poop chute. GT- if water just starts to back up in the shower, time to drain. H2O- the sound of the pump changes, actually gets more quiet, or visually check water tank under the dinnete.

About water usage: Don't shower like you are at home. Use water very sparingly i.e. get wet, turn off water, soap, rinse, water off. In other words, try to keep the water on as short of time as possible. My guess is that you are probably gooing through alot of water as well, unless you are hooked up to city water connection.

Even when doing something like washing hands, we just turn on the water long enough to wet and rinse.

Some of us drain off a few gallons of GW (NOT the black tank!!!!) on the ground, but you should be discreet about that, and considerate of your neighbors. Use common sense. This will also extend your stay without having to make the pilgrimage to the dump station.

I also do a complete walk around, sometimes two. Maybe if it is just the flange thing that is bolted into your tongue, that can be replaced by the manufacturer for less than the cost of replacement.

It gets better from here on.....

Jonathan
Old 03-28-2006, 09:00 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Checklist "Auditing"

Wife and I do our checklists and then trade places so she "audits" my outside checkllist and I "audit" her inside checklist.
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
We did the check list for awhile then we found a system that works better for us. Wife does the pink stuff (inside the trailer belongs to her), I do the blue stuff (everything outside the trailer belongs to me). When we are finished I make a last walk around outside and she does the same inside. Then I go inside and look for anything she may have overlooked and she does the same outside. Its amazing at the things she catches me on. Breakaway cable and swaybar not tighted down are the two that come to mind. An extra set of eyes and routine that you follow each time are the secret. Like a golfer use the same set-up routine each time and if you get distracted go back and start all over it only takes a few seconds longer and yes I have plowed a 30' long path through the back yard because I was only going to move it a short distance and didn't need to do all of the walk through, I have also repaired the door over the shore power cord because there was enough slack in the line. Its quicker to do it right than it is to make repairs later. Steps and tv antennas are expensive to repair and replace. I haven't gotten them yet but I know its just a matter of time.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Two showers, doing dishes, etc., can and will fill up your gray tank much quicker than you think. A question that I have for you is was the gray tank filled according to your tank monitor control panel, or did water start to back up in the shower? The reason I ask, is because a bunch of us that have newer AS's have very inacurrate tank monitor systems, showing that the tank is filled, when in fact it may not be.
I knew the grey water tank was full because the shower wouldn't drain. I'm pretty sure the monitor indications are accurate. However, the monitor may not be as linear as the markings indicate. It seems as if the amount of water needed to go from half to full in the fresh water tank and in the grey water tank was less than necessary to go from zero to half. Not a scientific study, just an impression.

Our AS has pretty good capacities, among the best in the Safari line. Supposedly, they are 39 gallons each for black and fresh and 37 gallons for grey. If I could change the proportions, I'd reduce the black and add the reduced amount to both grey and fresh, probably with more allocation to the grey. Don't even want to contemplate filling the black before using up all the grey.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 03-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #18
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
We pretty much do the same things as Rodney and Rick. One thing we add - and recommend - is for Page to walk behind the rig as I pull out of the site to be sure nothing is left behind. Then, when I am "straight" in the road, she'll scan again as she walks to her side and gets in the truck.

Most important is never to be in a hurry or distracted. Treat the setup and takedown as the most important things you are doing, to the exclusion of everything else.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:35 AM   #19
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
And now you can say that you're a REAL RV'er. REAL RV'ers all have a story of how they survived some silly thing or another that they did. Good advice here on how to avoid those things though. I tried using a list, but I could never find it when I needed it. The "final" walk-around is THE best way to make sure you're totally ready to move.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I dont think this is the current one, but it gives an idea

Pre-Tow Check off
  • Power disconnected
  • Propane off