Old 03-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Wheaton , Illinois
Checklist "Auditing"

Wife and I do our checklists and then trade places so she "audits" my outside checkllist and I "audit" her inside checklist.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
We did the check list for awhile then we found a system that works better for us. Wife does the pink stuff (inside the trailer belongs to her), I do the blue stuff (everything outside the trailer belongs to me). When we are finished I make a last walk around outside and she does the same inside. Then I go inside and look for anything she may have overlooked and she does the same outside. Its amazing at the things she catches me on. Breakaway cable and swaybar not tighted down are the two that come to mind. An extra set of eyes and routine that you follow each time are the secret. Like a golfer use the same set-up routine each time and if you get distracted go back and start all over it only takes a few seconds longer and yes I have plowed a 30' long path through the back yard because I was only going to move it a short distance and didn't need to do all of the walk through, I have also repaired the door over the shore power cord because there was enough slack in the line. Its quicker to do it right than it is to make repairs later. Steps and tv antennas are expensive to repair and replace. I haven't gotten them yet but I know its just a matter of time.

Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Two showers, doing dishes, etc., can and will fill up your gray tank much quicker than you think. A question that I have for you is was the gray tank filled according to your tank monitor control panel, or did water start to back up in the shower? The reason I ask, is because a bunch of us that have newer AS's have very inacurrate tank monitor systems, showing that the tank is filled, when in fact it may not be.
I knew the grey water tank was full because the shower wouldn't drain. I'm pretty sure the monitor indications are accurate. However, the monitor may not be as linear as the markings indicate. It seems as if the amount of water needed to go from half to full in the fresh water tank and in the grey water tank was less than necessary to go from zero to half. Not a scientific study, just an impression.

Our AS has pretty good capacities, among the best in the Safari line. Supposedly, they are 39 gallons each for black and fresh and 37 gallons for grey. If I could change the proportions, I'd reduce the black and add the reduced amount to both grey and fresh, probably with more allocation to the grey. Don't even want to contemplate filling the black before using up all the grey.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:28 AM   #18
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
We pretty much do the same things as Rodney and Rick. One thing we add - and recommend - is for Page to walk behind the rig as I pull out of the site to be sure nothing is left behind. Then, when I am "straight" in the road, she'll scan again as she walks to her side and gets in the truck.

Most important is never to be in a hurry or distracted. Treat the setup and takedown as the most important things you are doing, to the exclusion of everything else.

Pat
Old 03-28-2006, 10:35 AM   #19
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
And now you can say that you're a REAL RV'er. REAL RV'ers all have a story of how they survived some silly thing or another that they did. Good advice here on how to avoid those things though. I tried using a list, but I could never find it when I needed it. The "final" walk-around is THE best way to make sure you're totally ready to move.

Roger
Old 03-28-2006, 10:38 AM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I dont think this is the current one, but it gives an idea

Pre-Tow Check off
  • Power disconnected
  • Propane off
  • Double check propane tanks are secure
  • Water disconnected
  • Water tank empty or < 3gallons
  • Grey Tank empty
  • Awning secure
  • Windows closed and secured
  • Roof vents closed
  • Front window rock guard secured
  • All loose items stored, cabinet doors double checked
  • Trash emptied
  • Stabilizers removed
  • Rear compartment door secured
  • Running lights,
  • Brake lights
  • Turn signals
  • Chocks and levelers
  • Break away chains secured
  • Break away brake wire attached
  • Hitch ball locked
  • Sway bar attached
  • Weight distribution hitch correctly adjusted
  • Walk around
And now: Jack up
Steps up.
Main door locked.
TV cable stowed.
Antenna lowered.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
The last items on our exterior check list is "Walk Around for Final Check." The last item on both lists should be "Are all items checked?"

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 03-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #22
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Steps up.
Main door locked.
TV cable stowed.
Antenna lowered.
I'd also add to secure the kitchen vent on the outside with the two little tabs as well.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Pat it cost my insurance company $4200 because I knew I had pleanty of room on the right as I pulled off my wooded site to the left. Carol wanted to spot me but I said there was no need as I had walked around the trailer and had pleanty of room. I think the tree actually jumped out and hit me.
The proper way to conserve wash water is to take "Navy Showers". With that being said, I have also heard of those that dump wash water in the dark so that they can save the native vegetation. A colored water hose connected to the dump connection via a screw on fitting will accomplish this. The hose is run to a depression off the site so that the plants can get the much needed water. This line is taken up before daylight as sunlight and neighbors may create too much noise. I've only heard of this approach and have never personally used it, but these fittings did come with my unit and appear to have been used. I still take them with me, just haven't gotten around to removing them.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #24
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Navy shower- that's the term I was looking for. Being 4F and the only way I'd be eligible for the army/navy would be for bayonette practice. It slipped my mind.

Jonathan
Old 03-28-2006, 11:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
For those who have asked, here are our two checklists in a single attached document in Word format.
Attached Files
File Type: doc TrailerChecklist.doc (21.5 KB, 157 views)

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 03-28-2006, 11:50 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Steps up.
Main door locked.
TV cable stowed.
Antenna lowered.
Hot water heater/water pump off
Forward solar window closed/latched
Receiver/couplers pinned (Yup, drove off once and the receiver pulled out of my truck)
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #27
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
For those who have asked, here are our two checklists in a single attached document in Word format.
I looked at your lists, what is disconnect battery at door?

My list includes:
Refrigrerator off and door latched.
Water heater off/gas off
stove gas off
heater gas off

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:56 PM   #28
_

. , .
well we've all bent or dragged or left or bashed something in the first few trips....that's just camping!

i'm thinking of selling a kit for first timers...
-would have all the complete checklists, and
-a roll of neon painters tape...stick a piece of tape on each item when deployed...then remove the tape when stowed...
-and a few photos of previously damaged items....to be glanced at before driving off...

anyone got pics of their 'break in' trip...for the kit.....the more gruesome the better!

mike, unless you guys are being very thrifty during showers

((wet down & turn off.....lather up.....turn on & rinse ))

....you each will easily use 10+ gallons and even 15+ gallons per shower....

when no drains are available a big blue tote can save a tow just to empty the tank.....
and many of us carry an adapter that allows fitting a standard garden hose to the 3 inch port...so gray water can go off into the woods....where allowed.

cheers
2air'