Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1980 25' International
Napanee , Ontario
Smile First parks open in eastern Ontario this weekend

We are going to Presquile Provincial Park this weekend. It is one of three parks in the east that opens early. The weather forecast is promising....sunny skies and and temperatures reaching close to 70F(20C).

This will be our first trip with our AS.
Senshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1980 25' International
Napanee , Ontario
If you go to Bon Echo Park

Due to weather considerations we changed our plans and went to Bon Echo Park. Something for anyone going there in the next week or two is that there is no water available in the park due to some problems that were not apparent to campers. Anyone going there should get water before going into the park or check with the park to confirm if or if not it is available.

Strange day Saturday. There is still some snow banks in the shaded areas but it got warm enough that we encountered mosquitos! Mosquitos in April has to be a record in this area of the camping world.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
If you get a chance let me know what Canadian parks you like the best. I am planning to head into central and travel west in Canada later this year and could use some advice. Don't know exactly where I'll be going yet but Banff is in the cards as I have never been there.
Maybe next year I'll head toward Nova Scotia, never been there either.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1980 25' International
Napanee , Ontario
Ontario parks

Bluto,
For Ontario Provincial Parks you can get information on park location, site availability, etc on Welcome to Ontario Parks With respect to Ontario Parks I have the most experience with those in the southern part of the province. The driving distance across Ontario from the Quebec to Manitoba border exceeds 2100 km (1300 miles). There may be some Canadian Airstreamers who can give you some suggestions on parks on the TransCanada hwy north of Lake Superior.

In southern Ontario I would recommend Algonquin Park(great hiking trails & canoe routes, an interesting Visitor Centre and a Logging Museum). Bon Echo Park and Killarney Park are very scenic (Killarney is out of the way and does not offer electrical sites but it is exceptionally beautiful.)

Other great places to visit...check out Kingston. It is a beautiful city on Lake Ontario near the St. Lawrence River. Fort Henry overlooking the city is worth a visit. I once served in the Fort Henry Guard which represents the British Army of the 1860 era. East of Kingston there is the Thousand Island region on the St. Lawrence and there are campgrounds operated by the St. Lawrence Parks commission.

Autumn is particularily scenic at the parks I have mentioned (and they are much less busy!) If you make plans for an excursion through Ontario let me know the time of year you will be through and where you will enter and exit the province. That woudl make a difference in what I would recommend.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
Mosquitos in April has to be a record in this area of the camping world.
We were birdwatching in Rondeau PP last weekend and not only did we see mozzies, I got a bite! But I really love Rondeau in the spring.
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The weather looked so promising we couldn't resist hooking up and getting the rig on the road. For the first time we went to Rockwood Conservation area which is about an hour west of Toronto. There were about 25% of the sites taken. It is a very nice park.

Saturday morning was the perfect summers day (in April no less). Then at 4pm the winds and rain arrived. Trees were dropping. Two occupied campsites had trees down in the middle of them but no injuries.

All in all we had a nice time and will return to the park. With the rustic lake and trails I suspect the Fall would be real nice there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	79384  
Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1980 25' International
Napanee , Ontario
Conservation Authority campgrounds

The conservation authority in that area has some nice campgrounds. A couple years ago we stayed at the one near Elora. I am surprised they are open this early.

The winds came up at Bon Echo (enough that we were a little concerned about some of the trees around us) but the worst of the storm went through a few miles north of there.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks for the parks info. I will be going to Ontario but not for a while. My plan is to visit each section of Canada over the next few years. I'll probably head North late Summer early Fall. I usually like it when there are few people around so when do the kids in Canada start back to school after the summer break? Maybe I'll plan my trek around that time.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
kids go back to school first wk of Sept. Many parks close in October, second week or so. Pinery Provincial park on lake huron in sw ontario is open all year. make sure your furnace works! october temps can be quite variable.
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Early September trip it is. Looking forward to it.