Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
First outing with our new Trailer

We went to GARNER STATE PARK. ( Texas for those outside the area )

All went well. Even met some locals too!

It rained most of the weekend. But that was ok. We needed to know if anything LEAKED!

My blackstone grill was a huge success, as well.

We found a couple things that should be fixed under warranty since its a 2018. Nothing really a big deal, but it will get fixed.

The park was pretty empty, as there were only about half the full hookup sites occupied. We even upgraded from a W/E only reservation to W/E/S since they were available.

The park was great. No problems, quiet, evening patrols by the rangers. It rained all night on Friday, too. I really didnt have anything negative to say about the park other than the water.power,sewer drain were all right on top of one another, and I couldn't get the multi-size elbow that came with my RINO flex hose to screw down into it because the flange stuck out too far.

Oh well, that just shows I should have more than one connection option I guess.

Over all we had a great time on our maiden voyage.

( PSST, this is winter here in TX )
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Great report on your first outing. Garner SP lived up to all the hype for our first time there earlier this year. We’ll be back for sure. The Blackstone griddle is also a winner. Our camping friends have one and it’s great. We bring a Char Broil grill and Coleman camp stove, so we have all the bases covered. Good luck with your Bambi.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleR View Post
Great report on your first outing. Garner SP lived up to all the hype for our first time there earlier this year. We’ll be back for sure. The Blackstone griddle is also a winner. Our camping friends have one and it’s great. We bring a Char Broil grill and Coleman camp stove, so we have all the bases covered. Good luck with your Bambi.
The best part is it was close enough in case there was a problem, but still about 100 miles from home, so it didnt feel like we were close by.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Heart Of , Texas
Great report JJTX. That first outing is always memorable.

2020 Classic 33 FTB
2019 Ford F250
Blue Ox Hitch
KBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
There were probably several mid-sized rocks laying near the sewer hole, right? They are the low-tech solution if your sewer hose end piece won't screw into the hole ... you can stick it in and pile rocks on and around it to keep it in. We've all been there.

Hope you enjoy your Bambi a much as we enjoy ours!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Your First Outing

Consider yourself lucky. After my first outing, I had so many issues I need to take it back to the factory Lost about a years time of the two-year warranty. I bought the Airstream based on its reputation and longevity in the marketplace. I expected more from the manufacturing and quality checks at the end of the line. I was told they do not conduct a quality check hence the punch list sheet that is provided by the dealer. I still contend that the dealer you purchase from can make or break the experience, unfortunately, I did not have a good one. I love my country and shed blood for her in combat but at times wonder what for? Where did all the craftsman go that once populated our factories and workforce that build what we use. I will close for now God Bless.
Dawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
There were probably several mid-sized rocks laying near the sewer hole, right? They are the low-tech solution if your sewer hose end piece won't screw into the hole ... you can stick it in and pile rocks on and around it to keep it in. We've all been there.

We used state-park-rocks It kept it down, onto the PVC, but the water line was literally up against the drain and there was no way for my rino flex tapered connector to screw in.

FORTUNATELY we had no 'solids' in our tank, so everything washed up pretty quick and no problems otherwise. If we did, we would have had to use a dump station. I think there was a problem with the connection on that site as it had a hard time draining, even just liquids.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawny View Post
Consider yourself lucky. After my first outing, I had so many issues I need to take it back to the factory Lost about a years time of the two-year warranty. I bought the Airstream based on its reputation and longevity in the marketplace. I expected more from the manufacturing and quality checks at the end of the line. I was told they do not conduct a quality check hence the punch list sheet that is provided by the dealer. I still contend that the dealer you purchase from can make or break the experience, unfortunately, I did not have a good one. I love my country and shed blood for her in combat but at times wonder what for? Where did all the craftsman go that once populated our factories and workforce that build what we use. I will close for now God Bless.

I've noticed, theres no QC At all.

They didnt even install the center divider connection on the wall near the fridge, and left the screws exposed.... They also scratched the heck out of the wall under the table. Dealer had to replace the whole panel.

We also noticed on this trip that the fridge is not flush against the cabinet. I didnt notice it upon delivery and neither did they. So when it goes back to them next monday for other stuff, I'll have to let them know about that, too. Plus the shower drips outside the stall. Nothing major.

The fridge is a problem because it lets heat escape from what would be the interiour of the cabinet. Fortunately, LP gas is pretty harmless when burned, and we run it on electric when connected, so the only issue is the heat from the fridge.

Fortunately, our dealer has made NO issues of any repairs, and is fitting us into their busy shop. They are always packed with trailers and service calls. But so far not a problem.

THEY even noticed the bed spread has some frayed, defective ends on it and called us before we even made the bed this weekend and said, hey set that bed spread to the side and we are going to replace it. Before I even noticed there was a problem with it. So thats pretty good service.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:04 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Austin , TX
I'm so jealous. We bought our first AS in August but it's 30 years old and we opted to remodel before ever taking it out. What keeps me motivated to work on it each day is the thought of doing exactly what you did.

I haven't been to Garner since I was about 10 years old (which means a looonnnnggg time ago).
JohnnyAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post

You will employ this method at a lot of older parks.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAustin View Post
I'm so jealous. We bought our first AS in August but it's 30 years old and we opted to remodel before ever taking it out. What keeps me motivated to work on it each day is the thought of doing exactly what you did.

I haven't been to Garner since I was about 10 years old (which means a looonnnnggg time ago).

Probably good idea at three decades.. Garner is very nice . Other than the sewer connection on site 144.

Is it just me or is packing the water and electric in the same spot a bad idea since its 50a? That would sting if it shorted out...
Old 10-31-2018, 11:54 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
My wife and I went to Lukenbach for a vintage motorcycle show the following week, 10/18/18. we didn't take our AS as the news was full of flooding issues in the Hill country. We got a room in Fredericksburg but didn't see all the flash flooding as I guess it washed down stream already.

There is a trailer park on the hwy as you turn to Lukenbach and it nearly looked like an AS convention. I counted at least 9 AS's while we passed.
I went to school at UTA in Austin in the mid 70's but never spent much time exploring the area south. As a 60 plus couple it is still such a cool area to see and check out so many hole in the wall type places, not to mention the center of Texas BBQ in a 60 mile radius.
Bermshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermshot View Post
My wife and I went to Lukenbach for a vintage motorcycle show the following week, 10/18/18. we didn't take our AS as the news was full of flooding issues in the Hill country. We got a room in Fredericksburg but didn't see all the flash flooding as I guess it washed down stream already.

There is a trailer park on the hwy as you turn to Lukenbach and it nearly looked like an AS convention. I counted at least 9 AS's while we passed.
I went to school at UTA in Austin in the mid 70's but never spent much time exploring the area south. As a 60 plus couple it is still such a cool area to see and check out so many hole in the wall type places, not to mention the center of Texas BBQ in a 60 mile radius.
Flooding here is hard to predict. It depends what streams get flooded. Then anywhere down-stream.

Theres a bunch of places known for food in that area. One of them that was good that I remember is Alamo Springs Cafe.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:55 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
JJTX, perfect place and time for a test run. We go to Garner every year, kinda sorta a tradition, we met there as teenagers under the big oak tree. We went to Garner the week school started back up so we had most of everything to ourselves. We do not have an Airstream (yet) but we have a great Blackstone as well. I hope our virgin voyage with a newly purchased Airstream will be to Garner as well.
texasvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasvette View Post
JJTX, perfect place and time for a test run. We go to Garner every year, kinda sorta a tradition, we met there as teenagers under the big oak tree. We went to Garner the week school started back up so we had most of everything to ourselves. We do not have an Airstream (yet) but we have a great Blackstone as well. I hope our virgin voyage with a newly purchased Airstream will be to Garner as well.

We'll definitely remember it.

We've done Garner, Goliad so far.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:29 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Midland , Texas
When you are in the area, if you are a pie lover, the cafe in Utopia makes homemade pies that are the best I have ever eaten. Worth the trip!
Gary_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_B View Post
When you are in the area, if you are a pie lover, the cafe in Utopia makes homemade pies that are the best I have ever eaten. Worth the trip!
I've been there many times over the years. Usually a stop on two wheels! Been going there for breakfast for long time. Not so much recently though.

We try to not eat-out when we camp. It don't feel like camping if we go to restaurants. On our longer trips we do, though if we get delayed.

We've done a lot since that maiden voyage to Garner. We've been all the way out to Montana.