Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
First Outing: 2017 22' Sport

We returned today from our first one-night outing in our new 2017 22' Sport. It was my first time towing a trailer (aside from after delivery), so I had some nervousness about the overall driving experience. We are also towing with an electric vehicle (Tesla Model X), which I've detailed in another thread and will leave there for now. I'll just say that it adds a few variables into to the towing equation. That said, this is about the first trip, and about the Airstream.

Pre-departure
I decided to tow the trailer dry because of tongue weight limitations. The 22' Sport has the fresh tank fore of the axle, and while 20 gallons isn't a lot of weight from a towing perspective, it does make a difference on the tongue. I also have segment protectors/rock guards, which are about 35 lbs apiece, but I installed the bumper as well, which is 45 lbs. I was hopeful they'd approximately offset each other. Dry tongue weight on the 22' Sport is 386 lbs per spec. When I weighed it dry, I was able to get it down to about 450. I had to backload the trailer to get it down to ~420, and then attach my Equalizer hitch, which easily weighs 70 lbs. I recognize there are variances in opinions on how to measure all of that, but I add that to my tongue, so I was counting about 490 lbs on the tongue. My TV limit is 500. Maybe I was overly cautious about all of this, but it seemed prudent.

Towing and Arrival
Because I towed dry, and because our first campground (Wright's Beach Campground in Sonoma Coast State Beach) has no hookups, I had to stop at Bodega Dunes to fill up with water. No trouble. When we arrived at the campsite, we were slightly dismayed to find that it was very muddy from our recent heavy Northern California rains. It became clear we'd be spending little time at the site, and most of the time on the beach.

Backing in - I got it first try. I had quite a bit of anxiety about this, because towing an Airstream can attract attention, and towing an Airstream with a Tesla can attract a bit more. But I had good luck getting the trailer in the dry spot on the site, up on my Anderson leveler, chocked and parked. There was plenty of space for our TV, and since we were only staying a night, I decided to stay hitched. Stabilizers went out on pads and a mat was laid in the mud.

We went straight to the beach due to the mud, and hung out until the sun set over the Pacific. Then we walked back, and it was time to test out the AS. Most importantly, it was dinnertime.

Galley
The galley on the 22' Sport is relatively ample compared to the 16' and 19' options I had considered. After working in it, I can't imagine being effective in anything smaller. Our dinner was purposefully simple - reheated Italian sausage and meatballs on the range, toasted rolls (also done on the range since we were dry camping) for sandwiches, and a salad. Still, I found myself running out of room or having to reposition things onto the dinette table from time to time. I'm guessing one gets into a groove when coming from a real kitchen to the limits of the Airstream (especially when there are three other humans in the space with you).

Shower
My 7-year old daughter took a shower first. I helped her out as things were heating up in the kitchen, to show her how to turn the water on and off with the switch on the shower head. We had a tough time getting the water very warm at all, despite my having turned on the water heater 30 minutes prior, but she's tough and said "let's just get this done." After she was done, and after dinner, I took a shower and also had a really tough time getting the water warm enough. It was borderline cold. I mentally added it to my "things to figure out" list. When I got out, I noticed that the water heater had been accidentally turned off. It seems my wife went in, thought she put both switches on (the ceiling light and the water heater are right next to each other, which seems to be a poor design), and then turned the water heater off. So we were showering with furnace vent-heated tank water. No wonder. That's been solved to some degree, though I still contend it's a bad design.

Overall, aside from our blunder, very roomy shower and bathroom. It was great to get a shower after the beach.

Sleeping
After playing some board and card games with the kids, it was time for bed. Four people in a 22' Sport is a tight fit, but we knew that going into it. We had planned for the kids in their own sleeping bags on the dinette, with us in the bed, and that's what we did. One very big downside to this setup is the noise that the sleeping bags make as the kids toss and turn. Swish-swish-swish all night. Me peeking through the curtain to tell them to sit still. Repeat. I'm going to try something else next time around - sheets and bedding, I think. My kids are small enough that they didn't mind the space constraint. They just wanted to be able to toss and turn without my ire.

Our bed was OK. My wife slept at the head against the aluminum, and surprise, she was cold. I get up to use the bathroom at night or I'd take that space. We stuffed some pillows in there for now but will be looking for a better solution for cold evenings. The mattress is not quite comfortable enough for me - I had back and sciatic pain, but I think that's easily curable with a mattress topper. On the list.

Overall, I got a pretty good sleep despite the issues above. Vastly better than I do tent camping, which isn't necessarily saying too much..

The Dreaded First Dump
Our campground didn't have a dump station, but the neighboring Bodega Dunes did. On our way out, we stopped and I did the deed. I pictured a much more ominous setting, and a task that was much messier than this was. Granted, we were dumping "all yellow" (sorry) but I found it to be quite easy to dump, wash, dump, wash, and then dump the relatively full grey water tank. The "stinky slinky" is not yet stinky. I'm not so afraid of this part of the experience anymore.

Conclusion
It towed well, everything worked as designed, and we had a great trip. My kids both told me that one night is not enough. I think that says everything that needs to be said.
ohmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:31 PM   #2
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
It looks like you had a great trip. We were (and still are) constantly discovering how to get something to work, remembering that we once knew how something worked, &c.

For a short trip, it probably is worth while just making up your meals at home before you leave for simple reheating or serving as-is. Not only is the AS kitchen not like at home, but a lot of the time you'd probably rather enjoy the great outdoors with your children. Alternatively, when the weather is nice, simple foods that can be prepped on a picnic table and grilled outside.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
It looks like you had a great trip. We were (and still are) constantly discovering how to get something to work, remembering that we once knew how something worked, &c.

For a short trip, it probably is worth while just making up your meals at home before you leave for simple reheating or serving as-is. Not only is the AS kitchen not like at home, but a lot of the time you'd probably rather enjoy the great outdoors with your children. Alternatively, when the weather is nice, simple foods that can be prepped on a picnic table and grilled outside.
Thanks for the response.

Yes, we did make the meals mostly at home and I think that's the angle we'll continue to take. Before the Airstream, we rented houses often on VRBO. We did the same then - packed coolers with our own food and took it with us. I just found dirty dish management, along with finding a good spot for cutting boards, etc. to be a bit of a puzzle. A puzzle I'm sure we'll figure out, though.

I'm eager for our next trip and am actively planning it. Spring/summer will certainly open up our options.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Thanks for the report! We are going to Wrights Beach in April. What site were you in? How did you like the Park?
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:44 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
Thanks for the report! We are going to Wrights Beach in April. What site were you in? How did you like the Park?
We couldn't get one of the "good" sites on the beach, so we avoided that loop and went to the back loop into site 25. Aside from the mud, it was fine. Are you staying right on the beach? We are returning in July to site 5, which will allow us to turn sideways facing the beach. Which site did you get?

The area is great. Any of the campsites are a 50 yard walk at most from the beach. The campground has a new looking structure with flush toilets that is nice and relatively clean. As I mentioned in my report, no hookups, no water, and no dump station, but those are accessible about 6.3 miles away in Bodega Dunes.

Being nearby, we plan to camp at Bodega Dunes soon. It doesn't offer the beach access that Wright's Beach or Doran Beach do, but it's worth an overnight if we can get one of the sites overlooking Bodega Bay. Salmon Creek isn't a far hike or drive, and it's a great beach that we have often visited on day trips.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Very nice job, Ohmman. I can see the grin of accomplishment (and maybe some relief) on your face when you got home. You points re the galley is why you have seen me tout the 20ft FC when folks ask for impressions re smaller units. Its a wonderfully functional layout. And I was also surprised how cold the aluminum walls got lying against them. Many more safe travels. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Sounds like a great time on your first outing. I completely understand the Airstream/Tesla combo getting second looks. I tow with a Ford Raptor and we get the same thing pulling into a campground. Nice job on your backing in job - nothing stresses me more than having a bunch of people watching while you try to look like a professional backer-upper. So far I have gotten a gold star from my wife each time but I am sure there will be a sad face sticker at some point.

Regarding your mattress: instead of a topper you may want to invest in a new mattress all together. We replaced our twins with an individually wrapped coil mattress (with built in topper) from Mattress Insider.com and would do it again in a second. Not only was their customer support excellent the product itself is awesome too. Below is a from our YouTube site with a review....I purchased the mattresses and have no affiliation or received discounts (I wish I did though).

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:02 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Doran, as you may know, has two trailer/RV areas...one at the end with sites that have you parked nearly in the surf. Gualala, another county park, is a nice Summer/Fall destination for a "long weekend" (a bit too far for 1 nt. Also may be flooded by Gualala R. currently). I've gone to Stillwater Cove for an overnight trip. Just a short walk on a wooded trail down to the ocean. Gerstle campground at Salt Point Park between Gualala and Stillwater is a State park with ocean views. Any weekend you'll need a reservation; midweek too during peak season. With all the stormy weather we've been having along the coast this year, I'm waiting for things to dry out a little before visiting coastal parks. Heading for Death Valley in a few weeks, tho.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
We will be in site #3. I tried for #5, but someone got it right before me. I was online 1 min too late. Tough reservations along the coast 😬.

We were at Bodega dunes a couple months back. Not a bad park, but we would have preferred Doran, where we have stayed many times. We also had a tree branch fall on our trailer, so that may be affecting our relationship with the park.

As mentioned above, Guallala is also one of our very favorite parks on the coast. It's a bit to get there, but it's a great spot for smaller trailers.

We haven't been to Salmon Creek, but we love exploring the coast! Thanks again for the write up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmman View Post
We couldn't get one of the "good" sites on the beach, so we avoided that loop and went to the back loop into site 25. Aside from the mud, it was fine. Are you staying right on the beach? We are returning in July to site 5, which will allow us to turn sideways facing the beach. Which site did you get?

The area is great. Any of the campsites are a 50 yard walk at most from the beach. The campground has a new looking structure with flush toilets that is nice and relatively clean. As I mentioned in my report, no hookups, no water, and no dump station, but those are accessible about 6.3 miles away in Bodega Dunes.

Being nearby, we plan to camp at Bodega Dunes soon. It doesn't offer the beach access that Wright's Beach or Doran Beach do, but it's worth an overnight if we can get one of the sites overlooking Bodega Bay. Salmon Creek isn't a far hike or drive, and it's a great beach that we have often visited on day trips.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Woo-Hoo!!

Great report.

So glad that you all had a fun time and like the camper.

Here are some of the strategies we have used on some of the issues you brought up. Just in case you want some ideas.

I put a small silicone stick-on circle (the kind that are used to keep kitchen cabinet doors from slamming) on the light switch in the bathroom, and the inside light switch (vs the porch light) on the lights by the door. This way you can tell by feel which is the main light.

Toast.

There is a really super awesome (I think) folding stove top toaster from Amazon that I learned about on The Boat Galley blog (which is a great blog for small space travel tips).

Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I like anything that is "solid state" and simple. The bread sits on top, the screen goes over the cooktop and heats up like the wires in a standard toaster. Get some small silicone tongs and you're in business. Folds up the size of a CD.

For food prep space, we do it in stages. I have a salad bowl that fits in the fridge. So first make the salad and then put in in there to chill. I don't keep much in the fridge--just use for staging and leftovers. We use a blue soft side zipper cooler bag from Trader Joes ($7-a bargain) with some of those blue freezer packs for produce. That can sit on the floor under the table. I rarely use the microwave, so I keep my plates and bowls in it.

For dry goods, I transport in 2 vintage wicker picnic baskets that can stack on the counter next to the sink or go single file under the dinette, even with the table down or during travel. During prep I put on top of the fridge by the TV.

Then we use a cooler for the drinks and other items.

And for your wife's comfort agains the cold, I have heard of others using a auto window silver shield next to the wall.

We manage the cool weather by using a nice Pendleton blanket, and I wear a long sleeved smart wool top to sleep in.

Funny about the sleeping bags and noise. When I was a kid we used them in our tent trailer. Red Coleman camp bags. They were cotton not nylon, so were quiet. Not sure if they still make that type of bag or not anymore.

Can't wait for you to be giving all of US suggestions.

When's your next outing?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
Doran, as you may know, has two trailer/RV areas...one at the end with sites that have you parked nearly in the surf. Gualala, another county park, is a nice Summer/Fall destination for a "long weekend" (a bit too far for 1 nt. Also may be flooded by Gualala R. currently). I've gone to Stillwater Cove for an overnight trip. Just a short walk on a wooded trail down to the ocean. Gerstle campground at Salt Point Park between Gualala and Stillwater is a State park with ocean views. Any weekend you'll need a reservation; midweek too during peak season. With all the stormy weather we've been having along the coast this year, I'm waiting for things to dry out a little before visiting coastal parks. Heading for Death Valley in a few weeks, tho.
It's been a wild winter! We had a trip planned to Napa this weekend, but we are supposed to have 20+" of snow before then. This is the first winter we have had to cancel trailer trips because of the weather.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:05 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Thanks, everyone, for your kind and encouraging responses.

A special thanks to Piggy Bank for once again providing practical solutions to my concerns. I'm definitely checking out that toaster and marking the wall switches!

Gualala is on my list. I know I said I wouldn't talk about my TV limitations in this thread, but I guess I'll go back on my word, at least for a bit. Getting to Gualala isn't completely straightforward. It's 86 miles each way, which means I can't make it without a charge. I could stop in Petaluma both ways at the Tesla charger, but that is awkward, slow (because I'll already be nearly fully charged outbound - this is the slow/tapering part of charging), and still probably puts me outside of my range on the return.

I think I would have to stop and overnight at Fort Ross State Historic Park. They have a campground there and appear to have J1772 chargers. I could charge to full that night, and be 25 miles from Gualala for a night or two, then back home without stopping to charge. I bring this up to show the current state of puzzle-piecing together a trip when the TV is electric. It's totally doable, but it takes a little thought and pre-planning when you're not on the main Interstate grid.

Next trip is still up in the air. I'm running through the options. I definitely want something that includes a stop for charging so that I can get some practice with that before the longer trips begin. Santa Barbara is in my sights.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
When boondocking/dry-camping we use paper plates and disposables rather than water for dishwashing. As for sleeping against a cold wall... think about a baby-bed "bumper". You can make such a border with a simple quilt/blanket cut/stuffed/sewn. The Airstream mattresses are another subject of discussion. We've tried toppers ...and gave up after several different types. We now plan to special order a mattress from one of the recommended sites in these forums.
Your water heater problem will likely be a one-time issue now that it's known. I agree tho', Airstream sure placed in reverse-order those two switches. (And WHY didn't they make the heater an illuminated switch, anyway?)
The kids will likely do better with soft, cuddly blankets and pillows over sleeping bags. Bring an extra or two and they're useful in the car and for other uses as well.
Buy a box of nitrile throw-away gloves for sewage handing. They're cheap and make you feel better about the job.
It was fun reading your report. Enjoy your 22' Sport! We think it's the best size and layout of all.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote